PDA

View Full Version : Paint Thickness Gauge, Cheapo Harbor Freight First Test Results.

Pages : [1] 2

oldmodman
05-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Cliff notes.

It's worth the money and works great for way less money.

I ordered it online since it was not carried in my local Harbor Freight store. It arrived in about a week.

It looks like a generic remote reading temp gauge, with different setting buttons.

It has a trigger for on-off and take a reading.

On the side it has a backlight button, cal (or calibrate) button. Up and down buttons for changing the calibration. And a button to toggle between inch and metric. The inch readings are in thousands of an inch and tenths of a thousandth. The metric is in microns and if much more useful since it reads in thousandths of a millimeter, a much smaller measurement.

Before using the gauge you must calibrate it. You take a reading of a round metal disc that is provided with the gauge, then zero the gauge with the up and down buttons. Then you take another reading of the metal plate but with the test strip between the gauge and the plate. And you use the up and down buttons to make the meter read exactly what is printed on the test strip. Then you are ready to use the gauge.

The first car I tested it on was my 1992 Ford Explorer. I got reading of 112 microns on the hood, 83 on the roof, and 221 on the new paint on the repaired drivers door. I know that the door was re-skinned so I know that it has only new paint on it. Just goes to show you how thin the paint build is on factory paint. I tested several other cars with similar results.

Now for the interesting part.

I got out my test hood, sandpaper, spray bottle of water, rubber sanding blocks, Makita rotary, heavy wool pad, and Meguiars #84 cutting compound and went to work.

I started by taking ten measurements at various places on the hood. I got readings that were very consistent. 127 down to 114 microns.

After sanding for appx one hundred strokes, back and forth with 1500 grit paper and water. the readings were 123 down to 109. All the shiny texture was gone and the hood was ready for the 2500 grit to remove the "heavy" scratching from the 1500.
Same process with the 2500 except it took around two hundred strokes before I was satisfied. The post sanding measurements were 119 down to 107.

The I hit it with the wool pad and compound, only another micron was removed. Then just for the fun of it I used a finishing foam pad and Menzerna Nano and NO change in thickness could be measured.

If all the published reports about clearcoat thickness have been accurate the with a total of 9 microns being removed (from this test hood). This amount of removal is consistent with published, allowable limits for clearcoat removal of 25% of average thickness. I would advise anyone read this tutorial on paint thickness
Automotive Paint Thickness Gages (http://www.mobileworks.com/paint-thickness-gauges.html)
before ANY sanding projects. As has been used in many legal disclaimers "YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY".

In conclusion, this cheapo gauge is absolutely worth the money. It could help prevent you from ruining your finish. As an example, I might be willing to attempt wet sanding my repainted door, a little less comfortable trying it on my hood, but absolutely NOT on my roof. Think of it this way. Would you rather suffer with a little bit of a scratch remaining after a modest sanding and polishing job, or would you prefer to have to pay for a repaint because you absolutely HAD to get every bit of that scratch out?

AjNavo61490
05-04-2008, 02:25 PM
nice write up... the one i found only reads 0-40 mil... can you pm me the link to the one ur looking at?

budman3
05-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Very thorough review, thank you very much! A lot of people were weary that the accuracy of the gauge isn't very good compared to other gauges. For example, you take one reading at is says 100 microns but you read the exact same spot again and it reads 97 or 103 (+/- 3%). But for the money it is a great way to give you an idea of your paint thickness. Do you know of anyone in your area that has a more expensive gauge which you can make a comparison with?? That'd be the ideal test -- if they both show the same results on the same spot then this is a great deal...

Do you have to recalibrate it every time you use it? Or is it a one time deal? How long do you think the batteries will last? Thanks!

oldmodman
05-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Do you have to recalibrate it every time you use it? Or is it a one time deal? How long do you think the batteries will last? Thanks!

That was something that I should have mentioned. I found that once you calibrate it, it held cal throughout the day. I did re-calibrate it each time I took it out of the toolbox. I never checked it from one day to the next to see if the measurement would remain the same. But on the first day that I used it I went back to the same spot on my Explorer and re-took a reading and it was always the exact same measurement. I had made a small square of tape on the hood and wrote each reading on the tape after it took it. And they were all the same over the five hour test.

As to battery life wasn't worried since it uses a readily available 9volt battery. I used the gauge for at least three hundred measurements and the battery was still good. And the battery that came with the gauge is a lousy, non alkaline type. I am just going to put a new Duracell in it. I always buy mine at Costco. They sell so many that you know that they are always fresh. And cheap too.

budman3
05-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the response, very helpful.

AjNavo61490
05-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the response, very helpful.

wheres my response?

budman3
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
nice write up... the one i found only reads 0-40 mil... can you pm me the link to the one ur looking at?

wheres my response?

I believe that is the one he was using. It measures up to 40 mils which is 1000 um (µm = um) ... the ums (microns) are the metric measurements which are much smaller than mils, which gives better results. People usually measure in ums rather than mils.

And a button to toggle between inch and metric. The inch readings are in thousands of an inch and tenths of a thousandth. The metric is in microns and if much more useful since it reads in thousandths of a millimeter, a much smaller measurement.

AjNavo61490
05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
thanks budman

94LT1
05-04-2008, 09:35 PM
whats the link to this item because iv been trying to find a paint thickness gauge for awhile now.

oldmodman
05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Sorry about forgetting to include the link.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95520)

94LT1
05-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Sorry about forgetting to include the link.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95520)
lol its ok...i tried searching the site and had no luck.that is a good price.

noooorb
05-05-2008, 12:24 AM
I would love to see an accuracy comparison between this one and some of the higher priced offerings from competitors.

Dark_Tempest
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
nice find for those who cant spend $$$ on a paint gauge. Thanks for the find.

94LT1
05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I was wondering wat range of numbers in microns would be a big warning sign and you would know not to use any swirlremover or polish?

ZoranC
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I was wondering wat range of numbers in microns would be a big warning sign and you would know not to use any swirlremover or polish?
That is, as they say, a very good question LOL

... because if you are not first owner or you have had somebody else do the detailing before you started doing it yourself or customer brings you car you have never seen before nor you know what is happening in the meantime all you can do is still guess and pray as using this kind of gauge is equivalent to asking "how deep is water" before diving head first and getting answer "xyz from surface to lowest bottom point, but there are rocks too".

I am saving up for one that will give me both. It will take a while.