PDA

View Full Version : My idiot's guide to being an idiot... revise please!

Ohio Detailing
05-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Ha - YES it's true... after years of 'practice' and reading and applying technique, I find myself about 2% ahead of where I was back in high school. Ha, hey - admitting the problem is 50% of the battle I guess, so the math looks better now.

Anyway... I thought - INSTEAD of asking multiple sporadic questions about certain aspects of the detailing bizz and practice, I thought I'd simply list my own practices I do weekly on my own vehicle, with the types of products, and allow everyone here to point and laugh at me and then, hopefully, correct me and make new improved suggestions and direct me towards the light of enlightenment with my little 'bulleted list.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Spray down my car with the highest pressure available on my nozzle (not much) to remove any dust, or debris that might initially scratch
2. Using a 2-sided bucket with hot water and a lamb's wool mit I wash my car, trying to keep the glove as clean as I can - I use a silicon based car wash to add lubricity and enhance color
3. Wash car - repeat
4. Dry using the low pressure 'flood method' followed by microfiber pat dry on problem areas

After that is where most confusion occurs that I've carried for about 6 years now... once a month (recently) I will polish, glaze (MeGuiar's #7), and wax with a pure carnuba (Final Finish by PDP, at OhioAutoSupply.com) to finish with - and then spray detail with a product that doesn't contain any waxes or cleaners like Wizard's Mist-n-Shine.

Then sometimes I will wax my wheels... and sometimes I use newspaper for windows and Stoner spray foam glass cleaner, or sometimes I'll use microfiber.

So, everything is sporadic and there is no rhyme or reason every time I go to wash my car - I wish I could just find one definitive list of order and technique, and also if I could get just ONE product that is the absolute best of best for my car, for each intended purpose... then I could just whip out the ole' credit card and hit up Auto Geek with an order that would be recurring...

I know there is no one correct answer or universal answer (which is what I try to communicate in my own line of work to clients) but anything would be helpful...

Any links, or books, e-books, DVD's, you-tube's etc that I could be directed to would be awesome guys, thanks! :)

Ohio Detailing
05-04-2008, 11:54 AM
PS:

Any specific products, towels, applicators, with company names and brands would be awesome... I'm getting that tax rebate check and would love to update my entire arsenal!!!!!

Any thoughts on Wizard's products I mentioned earlier?