PDA

View Full Version : Clay concerns...

Ohio Detailing
05-03-2008, 11:47 AM
After detailing an old (and dirty car) from Arizona (where I used to live - BRUTAL on paint) my clay bar was filthy and soiled on both sides (dark brown) and I was wondering what I should do/can do in order to continue using it, although it's contaminated (with paint contaminants // I DIDN'T drop it, haha!)

Can I shave off the sides, or knead it?? Feed back please

budman3
05-03-2008, 01:04 PM
You should be kneading clay after every panel or when you see contaminants on the clay. If you notice even after kneading the clay is still dirty, throw it away and get a new piece. Cut your clay bar in half or in thirds, when part of one gets used up you'll still have the rest to use.

Dropkick Detail
05-03-2008, 01:27 PM
You should be kneading clay after every panel or when you see contaminants on the clay. If you notice even after kneading the clay is still dirty, throw it away and get a new piece. Cut your clay bar in half or in thirds, when part of one gets used up you'll still have the rest to use.

I like the idea of cutting it into a couple pieces. Seems so obvious but I never did it. I knead and knead and have used the same cb for awhile now.

I like to do a thorough (spelling?) 2-bucket wash, then cb using an ONR and water mix, then wash it again with a foam gun and mf wash witt. Seems to work for me

TOGWT
05-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Detailer’s Clay (Updated version) - http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f34/detailer-s-automotive-clay-1244.html#post48452 (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f34/detailer-s-automotive-clay-1244.html#post48452)

Ohio Detailing
05-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Great help guys - I really appreciate it. I've been getting a lot of PM's and help around here this past week, and wanted to say thanks a lot. Usually when I'm on here, if I'm not at home I'm at work typing away; and I loathe, hate, detest, despise, and almost vomit at the thought of my job... SO THIS forum makes it a little easier to stomach, haha! :)

ScottB
05-04-2008, 06:47 AM
this is why I order the Pinnacle clay, the smaller bars are easier to toss if dropped or too dirty.

David Fermani
05-04-2008, 07:53 AM
this is why I order the Pinnacle clay, the smaller bars are easier to toss if dropped or too dirty.

Can you explain how the Pinnacle clay is easier? Aren't they packaged in the same size wrappers (4 oz / 100 gm) as all the other clay made by the same manufacturer?

Ohio Detailing
05-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey Killer-W,

You know I was wondering... what do you have done to your Vette', and is that avatar your current one or have you upgraded since then? (By what you've done, I meant engine mods.) And don't say supercharged, because I'll drool on the keyboard... and they hate that at work.