PDA

View Full Version : Glass cleaner + Magic Eraser + Cotton diaper + water spots = ?

Don M
04-08-2024, 02:44 PM
I did a full-blown Spring Cleaning on the exterior of the wife's Escape yesterday and this morning. The sealants I had used in the Fall had given it up, and there was nothing left on the car, so I just let it air dry instead of using my drying towel (I hate drying an unprotected paint job - it can be a real pain). and besides, I was planning a paint enhancement polishing anyway.

Of course, the windows were COVERED in water spots, and I have semi-hard water at home, which means they are very stubborn and don't (usually) remove easily. I was thinking 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner, but suddenly it hit me - a magic eraser and glass cleaner. I lightly dampened an eraser with water, then a quick spray of cleaner, then scrubbed the exterior glass for a minute or two. Then I took a cotton diaper (I found an old stash in the basement), and figured they used to be the go-to for detailing, before microfibers, and I thought I'd give them a shot for old times sake.

So after about a minute of scrubbing, I wiped down the glass with the diaper. It worked as good as I remembered. The glass was crystal-clear and completely spot/streak free - and all I was trying to do was diminish the spots. This completely removed them and the glass was perfect, all without trying for perfection.

I guess to make a long story short, if you still have cotton diapers, keep them handy - they still work great.

chilly
04-08-2024, 04:17 PM
I did a full-blown Spring Cleaning on the exterior of the wife's Escape yesterday and this morning. The sealants I had used in the Fall had given it up, and there was nothing left on the car, so I just let it air dry instead of using my drying towel (I hate drying an unprotected paint job - it can be a real pain). and besides, I was planning a paint enhancement polishing anyway.

Of course, the windows were COVERED in water spots, and I have semi-hard water at home, which means they are very stubborn and don't (usually) remove easily. I was thinking 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner, but suddenly it hit me - a magic eraser and glass cleaner. I lightly dampened an eraser with water, then a quick spray of cleaner, then scrubbed the exterior glass for a minute or two. Then I took a cotton diaper (I found an old stash in the basement), and figured they used to be the go-to for detailing, before microfibers, and I thought I'd give them a shot for old times sake.

So after about a minute of scrubbing, I wiped down the glass with the diaper. It worked as good as I remembered. The glass was crystal-clear and completely spot/streak free - and all I was trying to do was diminish the spots. This completely removed them and the glass was perfect, all without trying for perfection.

I guess to make a long story short, if you still have cotton diapers, keep them handy - they still work great.

Genius

I would like to hear from others that have tried and had good results removing water spots or anything else on glass with steel wool

I scratched the crap out of a test spot on my 2017 Tacoma window