PDA

View Full Version : Term "buff and wax"...seems missused..what say you?

Pages : [1] 2

opie
03-29-2024, 08:53 AM
I see even detail bussinesses near me use the term buff and wax, its in a different price catagory than paint correction on thier website. But they have the buff and wax discription as "machine polish to remove swirls marks".

Just doesnt make sense to me. I hate to assume..but im guessing they are using an aio? What type of machine are they using?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

hooked
03-29-2024, 09:12 AM
Is the B&W option more expensive than the paint correction one?

If the B&W is less expensive maybe it’s a quick buffing step to remove lighter micromarring before applying protectant versus a heavier correction job of the other option. It is confusing either way.

opie
03-29-2024, 09:19 AM
Is the B&W option more expensive than the paint correction one?

If the B&W is less expensive maybe it’s a quick buffing step to remove lighter micromarring before applying protectant versus a heavier correction job of the other option. It is confusing either way.Yes cheaper. And confusing for sure.

In my mind buffing is when you use a rotary. Again maybe its just in my mind how i think when i hear the term

chilly
03-29-2024, 11:57 AM
I see even detail bussinesses near me use the term buff and wax, its in a different price catagory than paint correction on thier website. But they have the buff and wax discription as "machine polish to remove swirls marks".

Just doesnt make sense to me. I hate to assume..but im guessing they are using an aio? What type of machine are they using?

Maybe a quick once over with a glaze of some sort to simply fill the defects?

And yeah, an AIO with a heavy filler is possible

The description is dubious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chilly
03-29-2024, 12:00 PM
Yes cheaper. And confusing for sure.

In my mind buffing is when you use a rotary. Again maybe its just in my mind how i think when i hear the term

Now I am old enough that when I hear “buffer” I have visions of an old school machine with two D loop handles and bonnets

Or one of those two headed jobs, Cyclo or something

I’ve never owned or used a rotary so my mind doesn’t go in that direction

Don M
03-29-2024, 12:05 PM
For me, the phrase "buff & wax," brings up images of a very light session with a machine and an AIO or glaze to lightly (temporarily) improve the appearance with a light wax or spray sealant applied afterwards. IMO, it's only slightly better than a quality wash (to my standards).

For my car(s), I will routinely do a "wash & re-seal," which is a good wash (1.5+ hours), careful drying and use of an air compressor or leaf blower to remove all the hidden water to prevent later dripping, and a quality spray coating to "top off" my main sealant - as long as it is still holding strong - if not, a light clean up and polishing by machine and a reapplication of the main sealant will be done.

dlc95
03-29-2024, 04:02 PM
I always think of a "buff and wax" as a "tickle and a promise" from a car wash.

chilly
03-29-2024, 04:24 PM
I always think of a "buff and wax" as a "tickle and a promise" from a car wash.

But will you respect them in the morning?

:laughing:

bill walsh
03-29-2024, 05:59 PM
Maybe a gem polisher and waxer

John U
03-29-2024, 06:44 PM
John Q public knows buffing and waxing as making a car shiny. Toss out the words clay, ceramic, AIO, iron remover, detox they stare into space

DUBL0WS6
03-29-2024, 08:33 PM
Buff and wax is probably a one step polish and seal

Coatingsarecrack
03-30-2024, 12:39 AM
Buff and wax is probably a one step polish and seal

Agreed

opie
03-30-2024, 10:03 AM
All have good thoughts.

I would think it would be more accurate for detailers to atleast catagorize it as a "paint enhancement" as compared to a buff and wax. To me paint enhancement even sounds better, more accurate. Atleast that is how i have corrected a couple folks on it when they have inquired about having thier vehicle "buffed and waxed".

I really just try to be honest with folks and educate them on the products and processes in simple ways, not using fluffy terms and crap...so they in the end know what they are spending there money on.

dlc95
04-01-2024, 12:34 PM
But will you respect them in the morning?

:laughing:

Lol!!

dlc95
04-01-2024, 12:44 PM
These terms for the public don't really bother me, because they're easy to explain.

The most annoying term for me is "one step". It's interchangeable with both a cleaner wax and a polish step.

I use the term "polishing wax" in my menu.

At work, when the boss says give it a one step and a coating, he always uses Adam's One Step, or Meguiar's D166. He thinks a simple alcohol wipe will remove it, buy it takes about three to get the paint squeaky clean.

What the boss means is polish and coat. Very frustrating for management.