PDA

View Full Version : Anodized Rotor Clean and Protect

WhiteShadow89
03-19-2024, 11:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded the rotors on one of my cars. The rotor hats are "Aerospace Grade Aluminum Hats with Type III Hard Anodizing." I believe the products I am using below are safe to use on the on anodized aluminum hats but wanted to see what y'all thought? If not what would you recommend? My final question is if I can protect these hats? My thought process was using C5 wheel armor due to its high heat. I have familiarity with it and it does work on anodized aluminum.

Products used for wheel cleaning:
1. Gtechniq G wash shampoo
2. Gtechniq W6 Iron spray
3. Gtechniq W5 citrus ap (50/50 dilution)
4. Tuf n Shine tire cleaner
5. EZ detailer brush
6. Dedicated wheel wash mitt

Thanks for the help in advance!

Karl_in_Chicago
03-19-2024, 11:54 AM
If the question is about treating the rotors themselves wouldn't the contact of the brake pads to the rotor pretty much destroy any consumer-level application of anything to the surface (assuming the brakes are working as intended)? For *wheel* and tire treatment looks like you have a pretty comprehensive list.

chefwong
03-19-2024, 11:56 AM
You're fine. Was it anodized or -e coated-. Regardless, I've used Brake Cleaner on Anodized parts as well.....cleaning up spacers and such

WhiteShadow89
03-19-2024, 12:06 PM
If the question is about treating the rotors themselves wouldn't the contact of the brake pads to the rotor pretty much destroy any consumer-level application of anything to the surface (assuming the brakes are working as intended)? For *wheel* and tire treatment looks like you have a pretty comprehensive list.

Sorry, my post wasn't super clear. I am referring to the anodized aluminum hats on the rotors only, not the rotors themeselves. I believe the products I am using now would not harm the hats and the coating I would like to put on the hat would work, but I want to be sure. Just looking to keep the hats rust free and clean/protected.

You're fine. Was it anodized or -e coated-. Regardless, I've used Brake Cleaner on Anodized parts as well.....cleaning up spacers and such
Thank you! They listed it as Type III Anodized aluminum for the hat.

Silly Rabbit
03-19-2024, 12:13 PM
You could also try a quick spray of BH Atommac after done cleaning to help keep them sharp.

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2024, 12:18 PM
This is for an Audi? Anodize doesn't like alkaline/caustic/high pH cleaners, but as long as the surface isn't hot I think you'll be fine with what you list.

chefwong
03-19-2024, 12:26 PM
Thank you! They listed it as Type III Anodized aluminum for the hat.

The wording listing is sometime ambiguous . Dipped anodized vs E coated

Setec Astronomy
03-19-2024, 12:36 PM
The wording listing is sometime ambiguous . Dipped anodized vs E coated

There is no such thing as "dipped anodize"; anodize is an electroplating process. That listing is pretty specific since it calls out the "type".

WhiteShadow89
03-19-2024, 12:40 PM
This is for an Audi? Anodize doesn't like alkaline/caustic/high pH cleaners, but as long as the surface isn't hot I think you'll be fine with what you list.

Thank you! It is for an Audi, though the rotors I upgraded to are not Audi OEM.

Karl_in_Chicago
03-19-2024, 02:39 PM
Sorry, my post wasn't super clear. I am referring to the anodized aluminum hats on the rotors only, not the rotors themeselves. I believe the products I am using now would not harm the hats and the coating I would like to put on the hat would work, but I want to be sure. Just looking to keep the hats rust free and clean/protected.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, that makes a LOT more sense! I'll leave it to others, then, as I don't have experience with that type of combo. Good luck!