PDA

View Full Version : Who's using a Tire Coating

Pages : [1] 2

chefwong
02-26-2024, 11:14 AM
The fad for me on Tire Coatings has long sailed. Main issue was main tires - summer - low profiles, coating chips due to my rubber bands...., uneven wear, etc...

Getting ready to swap to summer shoes so the winter shoes will be getting a full clean, etc before getting stored away.
Be curious is -anyone- here using Tire Coatings as a -must have- on your tire/wheel regimen. I think for '24 winter, I think I may revisit it.

Klasse Act
02-26-2024, 11:17 AM
Had a horrible experience with Optimum tire coating[emoji15] It turned the tires a tan/gold color and looked flakey[emoji779]️

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Optimus Grime
02-26-2024, 11:48 AM
Waste of money. I had CarPro Blackout and it is no better than Darkside which I'll vouch for all day long.

chefwong
02-26-2024, 12:05 PM
Just used Darkside recently. I like..

It washes out on the gloss easily - as least in the snow muck it has received, but the product sofar is still there on the tire, even having at least one 2 High Ph Wash Chems on them, and at least one Wheel Cleaner Wash on them.

I don't mind dressings at all. But for Winter Care, I actually wouldn't mind having 1 less thing to do.......and I think due to the Snow Tires not being Rubber Bands and having some level of Sidewall, my experience with the Coatings might be different than my former views on them

Setec Astronomy
02-26-2024, 12:23 PM
Had a horrible experience with Optimum tire coating[emoji15] It turned the tires a tan/gold color and looked flakey[emoji779]️

So what did you do?

Desertnate
02-26-2024, 12:30 PM
I only tried one and the results were pretty bad. Never really understood the appeal.

The biggiest thing for me is all the prep it takes to apply one. I really can't see spending a good chunk of time and specialized products to get the tires perfectly clean in order for a tire coating to work properly. I'd much rather take a good tire dressing and apply it in a few seconds each time I wash the vehicle.

Bill D
02-26-2024, 12:41 PM
Darkside is the next tire dressing I’ll try.

chefwong
02-26-2024, 12:51 PM
Darkside is the next tire dressing I’ll try.

Just make sure you're not wearing anything -nice-
You're in warmer weather though so you're probably in shorts and flip flops

I got some on one of my nicer pants....this stuff does not wash out easily at all....;)

Bill D
02-26-2024, 12:52 PM
I’ll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks.

Klasse Act
02-26-2024, 12:54 PM
Darkside is the next tire dressing I’ll try.It's a good one but level it more than you think you need to AND apply light[emoji118][emoji362]

Bill D
02-26-2024, 12:55 PM
Sounds like easy does it when applying. Will do!

Klasse Act
02-26-2024, 03:34 PM
Sounds like easy does it when applying. Will do!Yeah for sure, looking forward to hearing your results as product perf varies based on your tires[emoji39]

Gridlink
02-26-2024, 04:20 PM
I had a pretty bad experience with Optimum Tire Coating too. The coating turned brown within hours after I applied it and just looked awful. My application was not perfect, but the main issue after talking to a CS rep was that my tires were too new. They needed to off-gas for a few weeks to months before applying the coating. A few hours of scrubbing with a brushes and steel wool with Optimum APC got it off, but that was a massive pain in the ass.

I've never used it again because I don't want to have to go through the hours of scrubbing to remove it in the event I botch the application in some way. The results I get with Gyeon Q2 Tire, Armour Detail Tire, or SiRamik Tire are so good for so little effort I see no need for a coating anymore.

Bill D
02-26-2024, 04:28 PM
As long as a dressing lasts reasonably long in bad weather, it’s a winner to me.

vaca22
02-26-2024, 04:44 PM
It's a good one but level it more than you think you need to AND apply light[emoji118][emoji362]

Listen, brother....totally unrelated to anything in this thread, but I saw an Elantra JUST like yours the other day on the road, and I cried because it wasn't in the shape that you keep yours!! LOL