PDA

View Full Version : New forum so we don't loose everyone!

Pages : [1] 2

DanaDetailingPros
02-22-2024, 03:32 PM
Sign up - Message Board (https://detailinghacks.discussion.community/register/register)

DanaDetailingPros
02-22-2024, 04:56 PM
just go to the link aon top left and add your info as a member. Only have 10 days left for the free trial. if I don't receive enough then will just wait till this one is UN existent. They want me to pay anualy at $85 a month for 12 months up front. So it's not worth it if no one cares.

Texchappy
02-22-2024, 05:06 PM
Signed up’s seemed to work.

DanaDetailingPros
02-22-2024, 05:12 PM
sweet if I can get most of everyone it will be worth the money! Thanks Tex
It's nothing fancy at all. I was more concerned that people could sign up and post rather than the looks at this point.

MisterSnoop
02-22-2024, 08:26 PM
Cheaper option?
https://www.hostwinds.com/apps/vbulletin (https://www.hostwinds.com/hosting/shared)

DanaDetailingPros
02-22-2024, 10:09 PM
That's a web hosting like Wix or Godaddy. So there the ones to sign up with if you want a domain like detailinghacks.com
Forum software isn't cheep! Goes from $500 a year to $5,000 The one I found took a while to get everything I thought we all were use to and would like:)
Unfortunatly with over 100 visits and only 3 signed up, I'm almost certain it won't happen.

I tried....Guess people will just go to Autopia or UK which the UK guys are so different in terms of always questioning and have a superiority complex! I got booted first day for telling someone what an ass they were being!

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2024, 11:49 PM
I tried....Guess people will just go to Autopia

You realize Autopia has been owned by PBMG for the last 10 years or so...originally Bob/Max bought Detail City from Dwayne and renamed it AutopiaForums.com, to be the forum associated with Autopia-CarCare.com, after he bought that from Premium Finish Care/Four Star, who had bought the store from David B. when he sold Autopia.org to 3D. Eventually Bob/Max bought Autopia.org from 3D, and integrated it into AutopiaForums.com, which also had been combined with the TruthInDetailing forum, which Todd Helme had started over at...Classic Motoring Accessories/Proper Auto Care, which later failed and was bought (with the Blackfire line) by PBMG. CMA had been the original partner with Bob/Max on the Souveran line.

Anyway, if AGO goes away, Autopia likely will also. Autopia is slower than this place because autopia.org doesn't work anymore, so people think the forum is gone, you just have to go to autopia.org/forums.

DanaDetailingPros
02-23-2024, 12:01 AM
Thank you!
I went to it and it seemed to have allot of new posts. I just envisioned a site that didn't revolve product sales. And a great place for us to BS and the usual comradery:)
Either way It doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Can't say I didn't try. Unless over 1K of members sign up in the next 10 days. At this point it's looking highly doubtful.
Thanks for the info!

Setec Astronomy
02-23-2024, 08:56 AM
Either way It doesn't seem like it's going to happen. Can't say I didn't try. Unless over 1K of members sign up in the next 10 days.

Wait--why do you need 1000 members? What happens then? I think we only have 50-100 active members here, say that post at least once a week. Maybe it's more than that, but I don't think it's anywhere near 1000.

DanaDetailingPros
02-23-2024, 11:32 AM
I see 100's of people going to the forum on any given thread. If there just stranglers and don't care if this site goes belly up then so be it! It is $85X12 month up front.

Setec Astronomy
02-23-2024, 12:23 PM
I see 100's of people going to the forum on any given thread.

You've got to be careful with those numbers, right now on the forum home page it says there are 20 members and 3,542 guests. Some of those guests may be members who aren't logged in, some may be random people who are looking something up but would never sign up and post, but I think most of them are bots that are trolling web pages. I think the number you need to focus on is the 20 members--I think that's more representative of the active participants. Taking into account daily fluctuation, that's where I came up with my estimate of 50-100 active members where are here and posting in any given week, if you spread it out over a year maybe that goes up to some hundreds who actually post in a year.

You know that this goes in cycles, people come here when they have a new car...then the car gets old...they let it get run down, they don't do detailing, then they get a new ride and come back to see what the latest and greatest is.

Is there some magic to 1000 members? Does that somehow affect the forum fees?

PS Back in the old days, they used to show the statistics on Autopia, how many members there were, how many were active (forget how they defined that), etc. When AG started this forum, they always hid the stats here. I just looked on Autopia, and it says that there are 99,082 members (remember Autopia was started in 1999 or something) but it says total number of members that have visited the forum today: 41.

Optimus Grime
02-23-2024, 02:44 PM
Give it time. Maybe start with a free forum hosting site.

Back in the day when I had a thriving hairline and my knees worked I joined a hip hop forum that was thriving at the time. When things went downhill a bunch of us core members jumped ship and started our own forum. We started with a free one and once we got our membership up and it was thriving I moved us to a paid forum. We had a dedicated admin team and we had thousands of members but about a hundred dedicated members that kept the site alive. At some point we even had rappers checking us out but this took time. It eventually died out but we hung around for a good three or 4 years with the paid forum and continued to grow, until everyone decided to become adults and have careers and families.

hooked
02-23-2024, 03:14 PM
You know that this goes in cycles, people come here when they have a new car...then the car gets old...they let it get run down, they don't do detailing, then they get a new ride and come back to see what the latest and greatest is.

Get out of my brain!

Desertnate
02-23-2024, 04:52 PM

I'd say it's seasonal too. It's still not really detailing weather in many parts of the country. In about a month that will start to change as people come out of hibernation and realize how dirty their cars are!

Setec Astronomy
02-23-2024, 06:16 PM
I'd say it's seasonal too.

Oh sure, but I was thinking more about members who are active for a while, then disappear for a few years, but in the meantime are replaced by other members on a different cycle.