PDA

View Full Version : Challenger SRT DEMON wide body. Last call.

Pages : [1] 2

PA DETAILER
02-07-2024, 10:26 AM
2023 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon For Sale | Johnstown PA . VIN: 2C3CDZL93PH100958 Color: Sublime (laurelchryslerjeep.net) (https://www.laurelchryslerjeep.net/new/Dodge/2023-Dodge-Challenger-johnstown-pa-5ed677b40a0e083a4eb17e0f5c57fff1.htm)

Arrived at our local dealership. Notice the $100,000 mark up. LOL.

$225,000

Klasse Act
02-07-2024, 10:27 AM
Well...it's like PT Barnum said [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Azure
02-07-2024, 12:18 PM
I hope it never sells lol. Dealer markup on a new car is just asinine. I get it, if they aquire something on trade or get lucky and buy at an auction. The manufacturer should put a percent caap on any markup or they lose the ability to sell.

Desertnate
02-07-2024, 12:31 PM
Yeah, the whole dealer markup thing will continue as long as people are willing to pay it. And there seems to be a lots of people who do...

I think the MSRP is a little silly as is and I'm not sure what Dodge is thinking. Yeah it's got a fire-breathing dragon under the hood and a few other goodies, but nothing I'd say warrants an MSRP over six-figures. It's still just a Challenger at it's heart. Special edition? How many have they done so far?

Klasse Act
02-07-2024, 12:55 PM
Somebody hopes to be a star at Barrett-Jackson 2074[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

TTQ B4U
02-07-2024, 03:35 PM
Yeah, the whole dealer markup thing will continue as long as people are willing to pay it. And there seems to be a lots of people who do...

I think the MSRP is a little silly as is and I'm not sure what Dodge is thinking. Yeah it's got a fire-breathing dragon under the hood and a few other goodies, but nothing I'd say warrants an MSRP over six-figures. It's still just a Challenger at it's heart. Special edition? How many have they done so far?

Agree. Have driven them, detailed them, even considered a nice 392 back in the day but at the end of it, regardless of the power, it's a rental car on an old MB Platform with a big motor. $35 for a used 392 used to be the norm and that was pushing it. Hellcats were overpriced from day 1 but today at 80-100k or whatever they are bringing it's just stupidity. This is Stupidity on steroids.

Desertnate
02-07-2024, 05:03 PM
Agree. Have driven them, detailed them, even considered a nice 392 back in the day but at the end of it, regardless of the power, it's a rental car on an old MB Platform with a big motor. $35 for a used 392 used to be the norm and that was pushing it. Hellcats were overpriced from day 1 but today at 80-100k or whatever they are bringing it's just stupidity. This is Stupidity on steroids.

So true. New it should be around $60K even with all the recent inflation.

I helped my son-in-law walk through the process of shopping and buying a Scat Pack Charger back in early '21 when Dodge was putting all sorts of discounts on unsold MY20 models to get them off the lots. He got his for something like $6K+ below MSRP. Right before the car market lost it's mind. It was a childhood dream car for him and since he is a very large man I was just thrilled he went with something he really liked and didn't just settle for a pickup or SUV.

I have to admit the car sounds amazing, but other than that it didn't really impress me. It's shockingly heavy and you feel it when driving. The brakes and ride aren't bad, but nothing earth-shattering. Interior is decent, but again, nothing class leading or even special. I did notice that for such a massive car, the interior both front and back are pretty cramped. Maybe because they continued using a platform from a 20+ year old MB E-Class, but you'd think they could have designed an interior that makes better use of the space over all the years it was on the market.

I have to hand it to Dodge though. They essentially sold the same car with only slight mechanical and cosmetic differences and a truck-load of special editions since 2006! And people kept buying them! Dodge must have recouped the development costs long ago. The Mustang has been refreshed three times (?) and an entire lifecycle of the Camaro has come and gone in the same time.

TTQ B4U
02-08-2024, 05:18 AM
So true. New it should be around $60K even with all the recent inflation.

I have to hand it to Dodge though. They essentially sold the same car with only slight mechanical and cosmetic differences and a truck-load of special editions since 2006! And people kept buying them! Dodge must have recouped the development costs long ago. The Mustang has been refreshed three times (?) and an entire lifecycle of the Camaro has come and gone in the same time.

100%. They did well. I think the move to EV's for them however is going to be a disaster. The one to buy today if you want new and nice is the last year 300C with the 6.2l Low to mid $50's around me and fully loaded.....with 2006 technology. LOL! but still very nice for a full size huge land yach with guts.

I'll stick with my Accord. Just as big if not more usable rear seat comfort, looks better, more advanced and far cheaper for a daily. Though used 300's are low 20's anymore. Just get the warranty.

Klasse Act
02-08-2024, 05:34 AM
The next Challenger/Charger or whatever it's called DOES have the I6 turbo but they've been so tight lipped, not even going to the Chicago Auto Show this year, ###!

BudgetPlan1
02-08-2024, 09:04 AM
I hope it never sells lol. Dealer markup on a new car is just asinine. I get it, if they aquire something on trade or get lucky and buy at an auction. The manufacturer should put a percent caap on any markup or they lose the ability to sell.

Eh, it's a knife that cuts both ways. When we bought our previous 2 new 'fun' cars, they were at the end of that particular generations' run. Dealers were anxious to get them off of lots so invoice pricing, 0% financing/rebates from mfg and so forth; I certainly wasn't going to demand they stick to MSRP in that situation. Demand was waning so price dropped accordingly; demand high, prices high. At the end of the day, no one is forcing people to buy these toys so if I'm a dealer and someone is willing to pay extra and I'm not particularly concerned with developing a long-term relationship with them, I'll cash your check.

Works in all areas. We were quite happy to sell our previous home in 2021 for FAR more than I thought it was worth, even with inflation adjusted dollars factored into original purchase price. When we bought a new house in 2022 I was on the other end of the equation w/ inflated housing prices and paid more than I thought it was truly 'worth' but that was the environment and had to live somewhere!

I guess it all depends on perspective of whether a buyer and seller of any particular item in a given market climate w/ an eye towards business goal (develop longer term relationship at lower profit and hope that pays off over time) or make a quick buck.

Desertnate
02-08-2024, 09:27 AM
At the end of the day, no one is forcing people to buy these toys so if I'm a dealer and someone is willing to pay extra and I'm not particularly concerned with developing a long-term relationship with them, I'll cash your check.

Exactly. Money talks. Dealers mark up the cars and they have no problems selling them. That sets the market conditions.

PA DETAILER
02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Guess I am wrong, but I thought I heard some time ago that one of the dealers got in big time trouble for this? That it is illegal to mark up. Manufacture caught wind of this, and the dealer got in trouble. Lost their dealer license I believe. I could totally be in the wrong?

MisterSnoop
02-08-2024, 10:40 AM
Guess I am wrong, but I thought I heard some time ago that one of the dealers got in big time trouble for this? That it is illegal to mark up. Manufacture caught wind of this, and the dealer got in trouble. Lost their dealer license I believe. I could totally be in the wrong?I thought Ford had done some cracking down on that. Don't know that it's illegal. One Dodge dealer had a demon ordered by someone that was overseas in the military when it arrived and then sold it to someone else for a huge markup. Dodge stepped in and offered them another car.

DETAILROOKIE
02-08-2024, 12:22 PM
We ordered a Bronco and waited 2 years for it to arrive. When it arrived, it came with a $10k mark up. I went straight to Ford to complain and local news outlets to share what the dealer had planned to do to me and the dealer backed down.

Dealers are straight crooks now a days. I plan on keeping my cars until the wheels fall off and hope the market has come to its senses by the time it is time for me to get another car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
02-08-2024, 12:34 PM
Good for you[emoji106][emoji106]