PDA

View Full Version : Rinseless wash media: Sponge vs. Mitt

Pages : [1] 2 3

Eldorado2k
02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Legit question for the people who love to use a sponge for rinseless. Do you really prefer it over a mitt? Would you use a rinseless wash sponge to do a traditional bucket wash instead of a mitt?

What do you prefer and why?

Klasse Act
02-02-2024, 01:30 PM
I use a designated RW sponge because it's usually more dense and absorbs more. I also use the "Gary Dean" method as well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
02-02-2024, 01:31 PM
I use a designated RW sponge because it's usually more dense and absorbs more. I also use the "Gary Dean" method as well.

Would you use that sponge to do a bucket wash?

Bill D
02-02-2024, 01:33 PM
I wish I still had a link to an old video that tested many kinds of wash media under a microscope IIRC a sponge was downright scary and a mitt was the preferred. It was enough convincing to me to only use a sponge for household chores.

Klasse Act
02-02-2024, 01:43 PM
Would you use that sponge to do a bucket wash?No I only use that particular one for rinseless washes.

Odrapnew
02-02-2024, 01:43 PM
I know this wasn't an option, but I do the 5 towel method. Each towel gets used 1 time for a section and placed in discard bucket.
Only need 1-1.5 gallon of wash mix since dirty towels do not go back in.

Roof+windows
Hood+front fenders
1 each for 2 sides
Back
Total of 5.

Klasse Act
02-02-2024, 01:44 PM
I know this wasn't an option, but I do the 5 towel method. Each towel gets used 1 time for a section and placed in discard bucket.
Only need 1-1.5 gallon of wash mix since dirty towels do not go back in.

Roof+windows
Hood+front fenders
1 each for 2 sides
Back
Total of 5.So I take it that you do not pre treat each panel[emoji848]

Odrapnew
02-02-2024, 01:48 PM
So I take it that you do not pre treat each panel[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G991U using TapatalkNot specifically pretreatment, but when I do rineless it's usually in the winter and I hit the DIY 2 blocks away to spray off all the heavy stuff before rinseless in garage to remove the remaining film.

Yeah, I'm sure the 5 towels is overkill with that method, but better safe than sorry.

Bill D
02-02-2024, 01:56 PM
I use on average 6 mitts when I'm doing the extreme wash method so not overkill at all; it's being safe

Klasse Act
02-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Not specifically pretreatment, but when I do rineless it's usually in the winter and I hit the DIY 2 blocks away to spray off all the heavy stuff before rinseless in garage to remove the remaining film.

Yeah, I'm sure the 5 towels is overkill with that method, but better safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-G991U using TapatalkI don't think 5 towels are overkill at all. I usually use about 5 or 6 myself plus a separate one for the tires and wheels during the winter.

It's all about being safe!

evo77
02-02-2024, 02:43 PM
I can't do it man. I just can't.

I tried years ago with a sponge and I hated the experience. And I really don't get how those special detail sponges with the spliced centers, do what they claim to do. Supposedly "trap" dirt inside of it. Psshh, whatever, lol. You have to apply pressure on the sponge so that those splices open up. And we know the more pressure applied to a panel the more potential chance for marring.

For many years I used those MF chenille noodle thingy mitts from CG. Worked just fine. Then I decided to try out the Gyeon MF Smoothie Mitt. Been using that now for a while and its fine too. I really have no preference between them though I think the Gyeon and its MF fibers cover more surface area and grabs more dirt then the noodle one.

Bill D
02-02-2024, 02:46 PM
I think the video did confirm that: the regular MF weave performs better than the noodle

Eldorado2k
02-02-2024, 03:22 PM

I tried years ago with a sponge and I hated the experience. And I really don't get how those special detail sponges with the spliced centers, do what they claim to do. Supposedly "trap" dirt inside of it. Psshh, whatever, lol. You have to apply pressure on the sponge so that those splices open up. And we know the more pressure applied to a panel the more potential chance for marring.

For many years I used those MF chenille noodle thingy mitts from CG. Worked just fine. Then I decided to try out the Gyeon MF Smoothie Mitt. Been using that now for a while and its fine too. I really have no preference between them though I think the Gyeon and its MF fibers cover more surface area and grabs more dirt then the noodle one.

You read my mind.^

Recently I’ve been doing more rinseless washing and if the car is really dirty I’ll give it a quick pre rinse with the hose and then do a rinseless w/1 bucket grit guard & 1 mitt. I can get around the car fast and quickly dry all at once. Works really good.

That got me to thinking, how in the world is that sponge better than using a plush mitt in any way? I can’t find a single pro to the sponge being better than a mitt and I certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable using the sponge to do a bucket wash but the mitt can surely do a rinseless and feels 100% smoother doing it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240202/4ff5f136e8f0a580487b122bea57eb8a.jpg

Klasse Act
02-02-2024, 03:22 PM

For many years I used those MF chenille noodle thingy mitts from CG. Worked just fine. Then I decided to try out the Gyeon MF Smoothie Mitt. Been using that now for a while and its fine too. I really have no preference between them though I think the Gyeon and its MF fibers cover more surface area and grabs more dirt then the noodle one.This is where pre-treating comes into play, bringing the dirt to the surface and/or breaking it down [emoji848][emoji56][emoji6]

Eldorado2k
02-02-2024, 03:27 PM
That sponge ain’t plush.

It’s like comparing an Absorber to a PFM. Which drying towel feels safer? Lol.