PDA

View Full Version : How to restore matte black finish to hard tonneau cover?

Coach Steve
12-10-2023, 08:55 PM
Greetings fellow geeks,
I'm working on a truck that has a retractable black metal bed cover. The surface is textured so dirt gets down in all the textured areas.
Now that it's clean, it's still faded and gray looking.
What can I put on it to make it appear dark black without any gloss,?

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2023, 08:57 PM
I'm sorry, is the cover plastic or metal?

2black1s
12-11-2023, 02:26 PM
Regardless of whether it's plastic or metal, If it were me, I'd try a Trim Restorer product. Something like Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer.

Desertnate
12-11-2023, 03:40 PM
I'm working on a truck that has a retractable black metal bed cover...Now that it's clean, it's still faded and gray looking.

You can try a trim restoral product, but since it's metal and now gray/faded, it might not last very long. It sounds to me like the paint has been faded out by the sun and there may not be much you can do for it at this point.

Any pictures?

Silly Rabbit
12-11-2023, 05:06 PM
I have a Bak cover. It was fading a bit and I called Bak and asked what to use. It's the hard gel fiber cover. They said to use a product like for marine on fiberglass boats etc. So I grabbed Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. It does a decent job, but as said above, the damage from the sun is done, it helps a bit and lasts awhile, but I have to throw coats on in every now and then.

DUBL0WS6
12-11-2023, 06:44 PM
I'd think the longest lasting option would be to use a black paint designed for plastic.

Setec Astronomy
12-11-2023, 11:10 PM
Regardless of whether it's plastic or metal, If it were me, I'd try a Trim Restorer product. Something like Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer.

Why would you use a plastic trim restorer on metal?

vincec
12-14-2023, 08:46 PM
I would try Solution Finish. I've used in for roof racks that have faded and it works well. Seal it with WETS.

KirkH
12-14-2023, 10:03 PM
First off, my retractable bed cover manual (ReTrac) says nothing but soap and water should be used on the metal cover.

However, if you think it looks bad, I would try mineral oil. Always start with a small inconspicuous place to test.

rlmccarty2000
12-15-2023, 09:46 AM
Yep, Solution Finish is the way to go. They even have a coating that goes over Solution Finish extending its life. I have not tried it, but I have talked to the the inventor of Solution Finish a few times and he is a stand up guy.