PDA

View Full Version : Lint-free Microfiber Towel Recommendation? Does such a thing exist?

Pages : [1] 2

DWS44
12-09-2023, 04:51 PM
Hi...Does anyone have any current recommendations for a decent microfiber to use with quick detailers that won't leave micro lint all over the finish? If not, what other towel options are out there these days that are considered safe to use with quick detailers?

Reason for asking...I've grown very frustrated with microfiber towels. I've tried quite a few different ones, several of which are from AutoGeek. In every case, either from new, or after only a few uses, I get micro lint left all over my vehicles when I use them. I've read all sorts of tips on proper washing...I wash them separate of other clothes or regular towels...generally washed in either cold or warm, delicate cycle, extra rinse, Tide Free liquid detergent, etc. I've tried air drying as well as running them on low-heat delicate cycle in the dryer. No matter what, I still end up with lint issues from all the ones I've tried. Along those lines, does microfiber-specific detergent make any real difference?

Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated! :xyxthumbs:

Bill D
12-09-2023, 04:56 PM
I have yet to try microfiber detergent myself. In my experience it's just the luck of the draw I haven't had any real linting issues from towels from various sources and I QD fairly often.

Eldorado2k
12-09-2023, 05:25 PM
I have yet to try microfiber detergent myself. In my experience it's just the luck of the draw I haven't had any real linting issues from towels from various sources and I QD fairly often.

I quit overpaying for fancy microfiber detergents and switched to Tide Free & Clear thanks to you and it works just the same as the overpriced stuff.

As far as towels, I have a few [like a handfull] of those beagle edgeless style towels and I can see why people might like them for quick detail/waterless washing, but I usually just use the trusted Kirklands for quick detailing/waterless wash and I’ve never had them turn into a linting problem at all. I always dry my towels in the dryer and of course make sure to empty the lint trap prior to using the dryer.

Bill D
12-09-2023, 05:30 PM
Yep, I continue to use Tide. I figured how much better can the fancy stuff be?

Eldorado2k
12-09-2023, 05:39 PM
Yep, I continue to use Tide. I figured how much better can the fancy stuff be?

It’s crazy how inexpensive it is compared to the dedicated stuff. Like wow they overcharge. Lol.

I recently found a new variety of Tide clear that says it has more cleaning power. That’s what I’m using now.

Bill D
12-09-2023, 05:40 PM
I suspected they would from the day they came out

DWS44
12-09-2023, 05:54 PM
As far as towels, I have a few [like a handfull] of those beagle edgeless style towels and I can see why people might like them for quick detail/waterless washing, but I usually just use the trusted Kirklands for quick detailing/waterless wash and I’ve never had them turn into a linting problem at all.

Thanks for the suggestions...Would you have a link to either of the towels you mentioned? Did a quick Google for the beagle towels, but getting all dog stuff. :D

Eldorado2k
12-09-2023, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...Would you have a link to either of the towels you mentioned? Did a quick Google for the beagle towels, but getting all dog stuff. :D

Costco Kirklands. Just make sure to cut the tags off before use, and always have a nice drying towel of your choice to dry with. [Griots PFM 16x16” can’t go wrong with those]

And the beagles are actually called Eagle Edgeless lol. I call em beagles since the few I have are knockoffs.

John U
12-09-2023, 06:12 PM
For use on windows I only use a towel with looped construction like Griots PFM. I have a pile of various “glass” towels with diamond weave etc that lint. If it’s a cut fiber it lints on my cars.

Coatingsarecrack
12-10-2023, 02:46 AM
If you’re not washing by themselves (MF only) that’s the culprit.

I run the washer once before doing Microfibers and will wipe down dryer with a damp old MF before drying my nicer towels.

I use to use Tide Free and clear and still do for drying and dirty towels. I find dedicated MF detergents get sealants and polish out better for me.

Rag company Rags to Riches is nice. Still think Griots is my favorite and the recommend a 50/50 mix with a F&C detergent to remove dirt better.

This is the video that got me see the benefits in mixing and also to use hot water.

Griot's Garage - Detailing Tip: How to care for your microfiber towels - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mNAPEZXduWI)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2023, 10:15 AM
I have a pile of various “glass” towels with diamond weave etc that lint.

I tried I don't know how many of those style, they all lint. What really peeved me was when TRC came out with those black ones that were supposed to be better...just the same. I can usually get away with linty glass towels for back windows, and maybe front side windows, but never on the windshield, the lint drives me crazy.

Optimus Grime
12-10-2023, 12:34 PM
I like Chemical guys waffle weave towels for apply QDs and sealants. Products goes on easy and I never have issues with lint. I have some Rag Company waffle weave towels that work just as well for applying product but the CG towels are a bit thicker and better at drying. For maintenance I always use Rags to Riches for cleaning. I find that laundry detergent doesn’t do a good enough job removing detailing products after prolonged usage.

2black1s
12-10-2023, 12:38 PM
I have found that every microfiber that I have used will lint to some extent. Some are worse than others, even within groups of the same type and brand of towels.

Glass is one area that exacerbates the problem, but also, each of my vehicles are black and the black finish is just as bad as glass.

The one thing about microfiber lint is that it is so fine that it is usually harder to detect on other colors. It is especially hard to see on metallic finishes and lighter colors such as white.

What I do when the linting becomes an issue is to do a light finish wipe with a very soft cotton terry cloth towel. The terry cloth will remove the microfiber lint pretty effectively. Additionally, I usually use the cotton terry all the way through when cleaning glass.

One final point to consider is the relative humidity. Here in Southern California, especially around this time of year (winter), the relative humidity is very low. The low humidity is certainly no help when trying to eliminate the linting issue.

Setec Astronomy
12-10-2023, 02:24 PM
I like Chemical guys waffle weave towels for apply QDs and sealants. Products goes on easy and I never have issues with lint.

Ha, I was going to mention WW's for glass, but since the OP was talking about paint, I let it go. I think you're the first person to recommend a WW for QD, although really no reason why it shouldn't be fine, heck a lot of us still use them for drying towels, even though they are somewhat out of fashion because the MF guys have to keep selling towels. In another few years it will be "try the latest innovation in drying towels, waffle weave!"

Coatingsarecrack
12-10-2023, 03:05 PM
I tried I don't know how many of those style, they all lint. What really peeved me was when TRC came out with those black ones that were supposed to be better...just the same. I can usually get away with linty glass towels for back windows, and maybe front side windows, but never on the windshield, the lint drives me crazy.

Griots crinkle glass towels…. I love them. Not available through AG…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk