PDA

View Full Version : Those who live where it snows, do you deal with this nonsense?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Klasse Act
11-25-2023, 07:39 AM
Whether it's sh!t like this or you local weather people, it's pretty embarrassing IMO. I'm sure people in Canada must have a good laugh if they saw and/or read this sh!t[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231125/098f6f0e85cdea35c29570ac1948e4dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
11-25-2023, 07:58 AM
What nonsense? That they bother to tell you about an inch of snow, or that they bother to tell you there's a 20% chance?

Klasse Act
11-25-2023, 08:03 AM
What nonsense? That they bother to tell you about an inch of snow, or that they bother to tell you there's a 20% chance?It's a word in the 2nd sentence that I've got a problem with[emoji848][emoji849]

minerigger
11-25-2023, 08:13 AM
Accumulation or around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minerigger
11-25-2023, 08:14 AM
Or showers [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
11-25-2023, 08:21 AM
Storm AND ONE INCH TOTAL don't belong in a paragraph together let alone the same sentence🫣

I grew up walking to school up hill, both ways, so maybe that has something to do with it old [emoji69]

I'm pretty observant when watching the news, weather inparticular, and this sensationalized approach is a joke. They call snow 1-3" a storm, where did they grow up, Miami[emoji1782]

Bill D
11-25-2023, 08:59 AM
Down here they sensationalize about tropical storms and hurricanes so we just take things with a grain of salt. I think sensationalizing gets more viewers to the local news.

Setec Astronomy
11-25-2023, 09:10 AM
Oh, I see. I remember one time there was an earthquake in CA, and it was all over the news here. I knew someone near where the quake was and they were showing collapsed buildings on fire, etc., so I called him and asked if he was alright, and he said "what are you talking about?", and I said the earthquake, and he said "what about it? that was just one block where that building fell and caught on fire, I'm fine" and I said out here on the tv it looks like the whole state is on fire, and he says "yeah, that's the way it looks on the tv here, too, but it's just that one block".

My problem with the NWS is they'll predict a big storm 3 days out, and everyone goes into panic mode. Then as we get closer, the predictions go down and down and it seems like nothing, then the night before, when everyone is all relaxed, all of a sudden they go back to the original prediction. I just don't understand how the closer they get to it the worse the accuracy of the prediction, and then once it actually starts, they seem to say to themselves "oh, I guess we were right in the first place". I don't know how many times that has happened. On another forum I got chastised for complaining by someone who works for NWS, telling me it's really complicated to predict the weather. Except they seem to be pretty good at it as long as it's 3 or 4 days away :p

But anyway, as Bill said, sensationalism sells.

Klasse Act
11-25-2023, 09:13 AM
Down here they sensationalize about tropical storms and hurricanes so we just take things with a grain of salt. I think sensationalizing gets more viewers to the local news.Exactly...[emoji779]️[emoji779]️[emoji779]️

Instead of doing this in our case, maybe mix in a PSA like MAKE SURE YOUR HEADLIGHTS ARE ON! I've been driving for a living for the majority of my adult life and this is my #1 complaint when there's weather going...no headlights! First off these mfgs are to blame first, let me explain. Back in the day, the only way your dashlights would come on was, well, when you turned your headlights on. Fast forward to the past decade+, you get in and simply turn the key and BINGO, everything lights up "like" your lights are on...but they are NOT!! Daytime running lights are NOT headlights, they use less power and DO NOT light up your tailights or license plate lights. Also these fancy LED DRL's are also NOT headlights either.

How did we get here, throwing common sense away[emoji848]

John U
11-25-2023, 09:32 AM
I dealt with Midwest winters until I turned 59 and now live in AZ for the winter. I drove 7 states for work and always used snowtires.

No more watching the undercarriage rot on my vehicles! I would spend every Thursday or Friday night at the quarter wash hand washing vehicles and "wanding" the undersides.

Klasse Act
11-25-2023, 09:38 AM
I dealt with Midwest winters until I turned 59 and now live in AZ for the winter. I drove 7 states for work and always used snowtires.

No more watching the undercarriage rot on my vehicles! I would spend every Thursday or Friday night at the quarter wash hand washing vehicles and "wanding" the undersides.Good for you, I wish to win the lotto for this, amongst other reasons [emoji56]

Setec Astronomy
11-25-2023, 11:36 AM
How did we get here, throwing common sense away[emoji848]

Oh, that went away a long time ago. We've always been required to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks here in NJ, but 15 or so years ago, I guess pedestrian deaths started going up here because people were driving while looking at their phones, so law enforcement decided they needed a public service campaign and severe ticket enforcement to remind drivers it was the law to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Now, I think I speak for 99.9999% of drivers when I say, NONE OF US WANT TO HIT A PEDESTRIAN WITH OUR CAR. So we didn't really need the reminder, but the effect was that pedestrians were now empowered to act as if they had some invisible force shield that allowed them to just walk out in front of moving cars "because they have to stop for me". Common sense? What about personal preservation? I was taught in grade school to look both ways before crossing the street, not to walk out in front of a moving car hoping it will stop.

So of course, more people got hit by cars, so the police decided they needed to do even more PSA's and enforcement, and then start putting big metal signs on rubber bases in the middle of the road at crosswalks, and plastic posts at the side of the road so the pedestrians had a shorter distance to traverse. Putting more things in the road for cars to hit seems like a dumb idea, not to mention the whole snow theme of this thread, how do you plow the road when it's filled with big signs and plastic posts, but all the metal signs are always bashed up from people running into them, and the whole idea of narrowing my lane of passage on a nice wide road down to a little aperture where I'm right next to the driver coming the other way that HAS to respond to a Facebook post RIGHT THEN is not the way I planned on my life ending.

I heard a cop talking one time about how he pulled over a housewife for speeding and she got so flustered she ran into a tree on the side of the road when she pulled over. How many accidents have been caused by people hitting one of these movable signs in the middle of the road with their mirror and getting so startled they run into something else? I wonder if that's now a checkbox on the accident report form; "cause of accident--running into pedestrian warning device".

Ok, you really got me going on that one, common sense...

Klasse Act
11-25-2023, 11:55 AM
^^^^ALL...OF...THIS^^^^

AMarkham40
11-25-2023, 12:36 PM
The local news in my area is the same. They love to use the phrase "we are looking at a significant snow event" & then they show the predicted totals & it's usually in the 1-3" range....... Everyone then runs to the grocery store & clears out the bread & milk, lol.

Klasse Act
11-25-2023, 12:50 PM
The local news in my area is the same. They love to use the phrase "we are looking at a significant snow event" & then they show the predicted totals & it's usually in the 1-3" range....... Everyone then runs to the grocery store & clears out the bread & milk, lol.Where do you live?