PDA

View Full Version : Here’s my way of restoring headlights

Pages : [1] 2

KirkH
11-16-2023, 05:33 PM
I clean first with plastic cleaner like Meguiar’s or PlastX.

Then I tape around the lens.

I wet sand to remove the old coating. I start with 500 grit because these are really rough. I use 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 grit sandpaper hook and loop on a buffer.

After all the coating is removed (when you see the slurry is clear), I polish with an orange pad and compound followed by a white pad and polish. I clean the polish off with Chemical Guys WipeOut. Then I finish with 2 coats of Meguiar’s Headlight Coating

Acura Headlight Restoration - YouTube (https://youtube.com/shorts/kd2QoKL9l-E?si=7YzTKcuVMfz8FEEE)

About 1 hour of time, less than $5 of product, $100 cha ching.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Eldorado2k
11-16-2023, 05:48 PM
Not speaking on the results in the video… But have you ever noticed how it always somehow looks worse after applying the 2nd coat? Happens every single time. I’ve moved away from doing 2 coats. I go 1 heavy coat and that’s it. Better results. Better final look too.
Just my 2 cents.

KirkH
11-16-2023, 05:51 PM
Not speaking on the results in the video… But have you ever noticed how it always somehow looks worse after applying the 2nd coat? Happens every single time. I’ve moved away from doing 2 coats. I go 1 heavy coat and that’s it. Better results. Better final look too.
Just my 2 cents.

I do the first coat very light and the second coat according to the directions on the can. I can see what you're saying. It can get orange peel if you spray it too thick.

KirkH
11-16-2023, 05:53 PM
If I lived in a major city, I would get a truck, wrap it with Headlight Restoration all over it, and just do headlights.

Eldorado2k
11-16-2023, 05:57 PM
I do the first coat very light and the second coat according to the directions on the can. I can see what you're saying. It can get orange peel if you spray it too thick.

Not only that but the clarity suffers. The orangepeel is rarely a problem as the heavier you spray tends to be the better as far as that and I’m a heavy sprayer/user of all products. Plus it helps to start on top and finish at the bottom and let it even itself out. I’m sure you know how it works. It’s a nice product for what it is. Smells good too even though it’s not ideal to be smelling it.

KirkH
11-16-2023, 05:59 PM
Smells good too even though it’s not ideal to be smelling it.

:laughing:

KirkH
11-16-2023, 06:01 PM
Not only that but the clarity suffers. The orangepeel is rarely a problem as the heavier you spray tends to be the better as far as that and I’m a heavy sprayer/user of all products. Plus it helps to start on top and finish at the bottom and let it even itself out. I’m sure you know how it works. It’s a nice product for what it is. Smells good too even though it’s not ideal to be smelling it.

If it needs to be perfect, the spar urethane method is better (once you master the technique.) If it just a regular vehicle, I think the Meguiar's Headlight Coating is fine.

Eldorado2k
11-16-2023, 06:03 PM
If I lived in a major city, I would get a truck, wrap it with Headlight Restoration all over it, and just do headlights.

I find it a hard service to bank my promise to… Alot of variables as far as some headlights aren’t very cooperative and the protection/longevity is also hard to give a hard promise to the point where I personally couldn’t hang my reputation on while charging top dollar for.

The only way I would do it with full confidence is if I was applying a UV PPF that was basically guaranteed to outlast. Now we’re talkin.

Eldorado2k
11-16-2023, 06:07 PM
Do you cover the front end of the vehicle when you spray it? Going all out and taping a drop cloth over the hood & bumper is a pita that I sometimes hate to do. Especially since I’m usually doing it as part of the detail and not a separate dedicated thing I charge for. That’s a big difference for sure.

KirkH
11-16-2023, 06:14 PM
I use drop cloths and magnets. Every vehicle that I perform this service for are at the end of life. Most people just want to be able to see better at night. I explain that some won't be perfect, but most will be much much better. In my experience, my headlight coatings outlast the vehicle.

Eldorado2k
11-16-2023, 06:26 PM
I use drop cloths and magnets. Every vehicle that I perform this service for are at the end of life. Most people just want to be able to see better at night. I explain that some won't be perfect, but most will be much much better. In my experience, my headlight coatings outlast the vehicle.

Never thought of it that way, but it does make sense. Lol

Setec Astronomy
11-16-2023, 07:02 PM
Wow, I haven't heard anyone talk about Spar Urethane in a long time, I forgot about that.

KirkH
11-16-2023, 07:13 PM
Wow, I haven't heard anyone talk about Spar Urethane in a long time, I forgot about that.

Its a very unforgiving technique but it is faster and much less work than sanding. And it can look perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Setec Astronomy
11-16-2023, 07:23 PM
Its a very unforgiving technique but it is faster and much less work than sanding. And it can look perfect.

I thought with the Spar you sanded and left it hazy (no polishing), then applied the Spar and it cleared up. Which is they way with most "paints"; so they have something to grab on to. I believe the Cerakote kit works the same way, they don't want it polished.

KirkH
11-16-2023, 08:59 PM
I thought with the Spar you sanded and left it hazy (no polishing), then applied the Spar and it cleared up. Which is they way with most "paints"; so they have something to grab on to. I believe the Cerakote kit works the same way, they don't want it polished.

yes I should've said less work than sanding and polishing (and coating) because you only sand 1x and you don't polish it.

That is definitely what the cerakote kit is.