PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - film on windshield

makdaddy626
04-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Ok, so about a month ago, while driving on I-20, an 18-wheeler threw a rock and I ended up getting a new windshield. :(

The new windshield seems to have some sort of oily(?) film on the outside that I can't seem to get rid off. It's only noticible when it's raining and I turn on the wipers, and more so at night, it quickly disappears after the wiper passes over it. Besides going through several regular washes I've tried...

claying
Stoner's IG
K-AIO

anybody else experienced something like this? any ideas of how to get rid of it?

Jimmie
04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
This is just a guess Makdaddy but how about some APC at degreaser strength. Maybe a wet towel over your paint and rubber while you do it.

HHIslander
04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
to be honest, i think that is how its supposed to be. I dont mean to sound crazy...
good wipers will leave an almost opaque, but quickly dissolving streak. I don't know how bad yours is, so I might be completely off base.
I am a little obsessed with my car, even down to my windshield wipers. I like the streak good wipers leave for the brief half second that it is there. I really think its normal.
Does anybody else know what I am talking about?

makdaddy626
04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
to be honest, i think that is how its supposed to be. I dont mean to sound crazy...
good wipers will leave an almost opaque, but quickly dissolving streak. I don't know how bad yours is, so I might be completely off base.
I am a little obsessed with my car, even down to my windshield wipers. I like the streak good wipers leave for the brief half second that it is there. I really think its normal.
Does anybody else know what I am talking about?

No, this isn't the wipers streaking... this is film (looks similar to water spotting - hard to describe) that's isn't visible when the windshield is dry. It's most noticeable after the wipers pass over and the glass is still wet but not rain spattered.

bill walsh
04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
try bonaimi cleanser it works great/ wet windshield take cotton towel scrub with bonami then washer off

budman3
04-30-2008, 08:10 PM
How about using very fine steel wool? Vinegar? ... I'm out of ideas now :).

ricka
05-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I've used DG 501 with an orange pad with great success. Leaves the windshield crystal clear and smooth.