PDA

View Full Version : Remove/Strip Griots 3-in-1

Odrapnew
10-28-2023, 11:35 AM
I have a small amount of left over Cquartz SiC and want to apply it to my winter wheels for my Edge before I swap them this season. I'm pretty sure last spring I applied a layer of Griots 3-in-1 before putting them away so I want to strip it off before applying the SiC.

I don't have a lot of products, but I do have some Gtechniq panel wipe and a bottle of 50/50 IPA/water.

Anyone know if the panel wipe or IPA mix will strip the 3-in-1?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RPPM
10-30-2023, 05:19 PM
I would use a normal wheel cleaner. Hit it a few times and agitate it well with a wheel brush. You could also use some compound by hand to remove it.

Desertnate
10-31-2023, 07:54 AM
Have you applied anything to the wheels since last Spring? Are you talking about their ceramic 3-in-1 spray or their 3-in-1 cleaner wax?

Either way, if you've not applied anything since the original application 6~7 months ago, I'd bet that protection is long gone and there isn't much to worry about. Wheels are a really harsh environment and products have a shorter life there than on regular painted areas. Any protection you applied is likely long gone, so you should be able to get them really clean, hit them with a prep-spray, and just apply the coating.

MisterSnoop
10-31-2023, 08:55 AM
Either way, if you've not applied anything since the original application 6~7 months ago, I'd bet that protection is long gone and there isn't much to worry about. Wheels are a really harsh environment and products have a shorter life there than on regular painted areas. Any protection you applied is likely long gone, so you should be able to get them really clean, hit them with a prep-spray, and just apply the coating.

Sounds like this was on wheels that had 3in1 applied and have not been used since then.

Odrapnew
10-31-2023, 09:04 AM
Have you applied anything to the wheels since last Spring? Are you talking about their ceramic 3-in-1 spray or their 3-in-1 cleaner wax?

Sounds like this was on wheels that had 3in1 applied and have not been used since then.

Snoop is correct. I applied the 3-in-1 Ceramic spray in the spring and put them into storage.
Only thing they've been exposed to is some dust and warm summer days in the attic of our (uninsulated) garage.

Maybe this weekend I'll take them down and try a few suggestions.
I'd like to avoid hand compounding/polishing (I only have a GG6), but if that's what is needed, I'll do it.
The wheels are in really good condition, so they don't really need any correction (at least not worth the time/effort for winter wheels).

MisterSnoop
10-31-2023, 09:22 AM
Seems like their recommendations on their Q&A is a few rounds of their surface prep, which is high pH. I'd try that or something similar.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231031/f4c77b01bb62212eb70b5d9805f20d72.jpg