PDA

View Full Version : My MF towels are linting

ntwillie1
10-23-2023, 07:32 AM
Hello all. I have a new car with Black paint that I have polished and I’m ready to coat w Exo v5. The problem is when I do my final wipe down the mf towels leave lint. I have all Cobra mf towels. I have tried the gold plush towels and I have tried the grey ones. I have tried the green short nap ones but everything seems to leave lint behind. I did notice when I was removing the Wolfgangs TSR that it was also very grabby. I am using Blackfire Paint Prep for my final wipe down and thought that the lint would come off when I did my final wipe down but that is sadly not the case. Just continues to leave lint. I have used existing used MGs and brand new out of the bag/box MFs. Any suggestions? The most luck I’ve had is using the short nap (back side) of the towels as opposed to the plush side. I can’t coat til I figure this out Thanks in advance.

Setec Astronomy
10-23-2023, 07:58 AM
I hate when that happens, especially on the inside of the windshield. Do you have any waffle weave towels? I find they tend to lint less.

Prange
10-23-2023, 11:14 AM
Wash them on the hot cycle, vinegar in the softener compartment, air dry. The water doesn't get hot enough to melt the fibers. You may have to do it a few times. The only linting I had was with TRC towels.

Tbonem3
10-23-2023, 11:20 AM
Avoid plush towels or anything with much nap. The pearl weave type towels are the best for no lint.

Setec Astronomy
10-23-2023, 12:32 PM
Wash them on the hot cycle, vinegar in the softener compartment, air dry. The water doesn't get hot enough to melt the fibers. You may have to do it a few times. The only linting I had was with TRC towels.

Usually if you have lint problems, it's due to the towel, not the wash method, as I think is evidenced by your own experience that you shared. Surely you washed your TRC towels as you suggested, but...they linted, apparently.

Bill D
10-23-2023, 01:25 PM
I remember long ago I bought a pack of MFs from a respected online vendor and they all linted. The vendor refunded my money

VISITOR
10-23-2023, 05:33 PM
i think it's luck of the draw sometimes, you never know if you're going to get a batch of microfibers that are going to lint or not. i'll rewash again and use a lint roller after they are done drying and if they still lint, they get demoted to less important tasks and then tossed. it's frustrating but...
https://mixedtees.com/image/cache/catalog/data/AintNobodyGotTimeForThat-PLATE-750x750.jpg

Prange
10-24-2023, 05:31 AM
Usually if you have lint problems, it's due to the towel, not the wash method, as I think is evidenced by your own experience that you shared. Surely you washed your TRC towels as you suggested, but...they linted, apparently.

I had TRC tell me to re-wash them. I had to re-wash them twice.

ntwillie1
10-24-2023, 05:55 AM
I hate when that happens, especially on the inside of the windshield. Do you have any waffle weave towels? I find they tend to lint less.
I do have waffle weave towels. I use them for glass. Isnitnok to ise that on black paint. I’m afraid to u do all my polishing work.

ntwillie1
10-24-2023, 06:25 AM
I did use mine straight out of the packaging. I think ai’ll wash them today and see if that helps.

Setec Astronomy
10-24-2023, 07:41 AM
I had TRC tell me to re-wash them. I had to re-wash them twice.

I did use mine straight out of the packaging. I think ai’ll wash them today and see if that helps.

My apologies, I presumed that these were towels that had been in use and had been washed. Yes, new towels can have lint that will be removed by washing, but also, as Visitor noted, you can just have a bad batch or worn out towels that lint, and washing doesn't help.

Bill D
10-24-2023, 08:31 AM
I had a bad batch. Washing didn't help and I was able to get a refund.

ntwillie1
10-25-2023, 05:12 AM
My apologies, I presumed that these were towels that had been in use and had been washed. Yes, new towels can have lint that will be removed by washing, but also, as Visitor noted, you can just have a bad batch or worn out towels that lint, and washing doesn't help.

Well, I washed my new and some used Mf towels yesterday w hot water and some white distilled vinegar and then dried w very low heat. It didn’t help much. My guess is that its always been this way and I just didn’t notice because i’ve never had a black car. I usually have grey/ silver or white which are much more forgiving. Now that my polishing is complete I think I will wash the car w clean slate, dry w my leaf blower and griots garage drying towel which doesn’t seem to leave lint, and hope it does the trick. I do own some cheaper MF towels that I got in bulk probably from costco but I use these for interior and wheels. I’m afraid to use them on my black paint even though I have some brand new ones.

On a side note - I did notice that using the back side of a cobra purple towel linted much less. Still left a bit but not sure if I’m just seeing the remnants if what the other towels were leaving. If I budd w pressure I can get some of the lint off but thats going to end up causing more harm than good. For the record, I tried the following towels, some new and some used - cobra gold plush jr, cobra supreme 530, , cobra short nap green - think its called hunter utility, cobra plush purple. The one thing in common is they are all cobra. I think I’m going to start trying a different brand.

ntwillie1
10-25-2023, 05:16 AM
@Bill D - I’ve had these since last year at least. I don’t think autogeek will replace them at this point. This last batch of supreme towels were sent to me as part of a replacement kit for a bad order of Blackfire Pro Ceramic coating Black Edition I had purchased. I just haven’t had much detailings luck lately.