PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life of *Iron* Cleaning Products

chefwong
10-14-2023, 08:40 AM
I'm almost out of iron cleaner and am tempted to just buy the gallon
Now obviously it also depends on retailer and how often their stock rotates.....

But if memory serves me, the shelf life component triconol doesn't have a decent longevity.....and while the Costco mentality makes sense to just buy the larger jugs....I also tend to buy the smaller bottles.

What's you experience with shelf life of iron cleaner.

I dunno if the one I just used is expired....I mean my wheels are washed weekly.
I did a paint decontamination and while at it, I did spray the wheels. I did not agitate the spray wheels. Also zero purple to be seen on the rears and the only purple I saw on the front was when I was rinsing it - but I suspect the purple is more from the runoff from the rotors.
Hence, me revisiting this topic and thinking my iron cleaner has lost some -potency-

jim2100
10-14-2023, 08:43 AM
Proof read.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
10-14-2023, 08:49 AM
I've never heard of an iron remover losing its strength, sub'd for more info[emoji362][emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

chefwong
10-14-2023, 09:04 AM
Shelf Life of Triconol aside, which I do recall a blurb or 2. Will need to do a deep google search on this again.

But over the years, and the less hoarding, etc........I've been veering towards smaller qtys, and just reup fresh rotation as needed.

On my too much 5L jugs of 1Z Cockpit or APC, I do see product settlement and such (whitish blobs and all) and this stuff is in climate controlled .
Over the years, I've done the yearly spring purge of stuff I don't use. I've thrown out so much stuff when I've purchased in large bottles like Reset,
I still have like 64oz + of Hydr02,

Klasse Act
10-14-2023, 09:17 AM
Shelf Life of Triconol aside, which I do recall a blurb or 2. Will need to do a deep google search on this again.

But over the years, and the less hoarding, etc........I've been veering towards smaller qtys, and just reup fresh rotation as needed.

On my too much 5L jugs of 1Z Cockpit or APC, I do see product settlement and such (whitish blobs and all) and this stuff is in climate controlled .
Over the years, I've done the yearly spring purge of stuff I don't use. I've thrown out so much stuff when I've purchased in large bottles like Reset,
I still have like 64oz + of Hydr02,Hell, use the Hydro2 every other week on your wheels [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2023, 09:42 AM
What is Tricinol? I googled it and came up with Trikinol, an anti-depression drug.

The actives in iron-eating wheel cleaners and decon products are thioglycolates, either sodium or potassium.

chefwong
10-14-2023, 09:54 AM
:eek:
I had that T word stuck in my head so it was worded as such.

I do love the effects of Tricinol when I put alfalfa pellets in the lawn

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2023, 10:09 AM
And I love the smell of napalm in the morning, but I still don't know what Tricinol is, alfalfa pellets or not.