PDA

View Full Version : How many years does a detailing business last?

Eric7810
09-24-2023, 06:15 AM
In you guys’ experience, what is the average life span of a detailing shop?

What are the reasons for shops closing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirkH
09-24-2023, 11:11 AM
In my town, brick and mortar shops don't last long. My guess is less than 2 years.

Some guys go back and forth between mobile and a shop. Some also work out of dealership garages.

Rsurfer
09-24-2023, 12:14 PM
As long as your body lasts.:D

DUBL0WS6
09-24-2023, 06:04 PM
Pretty much any physical job is a young person's game. The local economy also plays a role. Most businesses fail in the first 5 years.

Optimus Grime
09-24-2023, 06:33 PM
The local economy also plays a role.
I think this is a big part. I was told by multiple veteran detailers that a detailer should strive for a minimum of $100/man hour to stay in business and grow. Very few detailers are able to command those prices and very few customers are wiling to pay those prices.

I’m in a facebook group for detailers and about 80% of the members are part time detailers, myself included, because it’s difficult making enough from detailing alone.

opie
09-25-2023, 04:39 AM
You need that stead flow of work. Look at it this way, a paint and body shop, insurance claim jobs dont make much money, but special interest vehicle projects and such do. So insurance claims keep things running.

In detailing, you nees to get with a local trucking company or something, that you can get a steady stream of work. Always having a truck to detail. Then have those special i trest projects that you can charge more, doing your full paint corrections and coating jobs etc.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk