PDA

View Full Version : Griots Fast Correcting Cream + Sonax Perfect Finish?

MarioSH
09-20-2023, 11:48 PM
Hello,

Noobie question; Do these two products work together, or is one or the other?

I'm a little confused because from what I've read the Griots is a correcting compound, and the other is a Finishing polish, but also has 4/6 cutting capability?

Do these work together and is it a good combination?

Thank you!

Optimus Grime
09-21-2023, 06:41 AM
I’d go with no. I use FCC quite often and it’s a heavy cutting compound. I’ve never used Perfect Finish but I read the description and it’s a one step compound. I know that it’s Esoteric Detailing’s go to for one steps. If you’re using FCC I’d pair it with something like M205 or BOSS Perfecting Cream.

Desertnate
09-21-2023, 07:34 AM
From reading the description on Sonax's US web site, Perfect Finish seems to be a medium-cut polish you can use in one-step jobs. I'd say it is more like Griots Boss Correcting Cream.

If you're going to do a two step, I agree with the previous advice from Optimus. Go with a finishing polish like BOSS Perfecting Cream, which is one of my favorites right now. It really finishes nicely.

MarioSH
09-21-2023, 12:07 PM
I’d go with no. I use FCC quite often and it’s a heavy cutting compound. I’ve never used Perfect Finish but I read the description and it’s a one step compound. I know that it’s Esoteric Detailing’s go to for one steps. If you’re using FCC I’d pair it with something like M205 or BOSS Perfecting Cream.

From reading the description on Sonax's US web site, Perfect Finish seems to be a medium-cut polish you can use in one-step jobs. I'd say it is more like Griots Boss Correcting Cream.

If you're going to do a two step, I agree with the previous advice from Optimus. Go with a finishing polish like BOSS Perfecting Cream, which is one of my favorites right now. It really finishes nicely.

Would Rupes Uno Pure be a good last step as well? So FCC + Uno Pure? I'm guessing Rupes DA Fine (Yellow) is also a Medium cut polish. So that's why I'm wondering about Rupes Uno Pure.

Tbonem3
09-21-2023, 12:13 PM
If doing a 2 step, I love Fast correcting cream, then perfecting cream, but if you really wanted Sonax for finishing, I like their 03-06 rather than the 04-06 (which is still very popular, mind).

Perfecting cream (well, all BOSS creams) has a looooong working time, and no dust. Easy to wipe off (expect really soft paint/ hi humidity).

I don't like how dry sonax polishes get compared to Griot's boss line. I like menz and jescar more than sonax, but Griot's is my go to.

MarioSH
09-21-2023, 01:55 PM
Thank you. I ordered some Griots Perfecting Cream to try it out.

PaulMys
09-21-2023, 04:18 PM
You might not need anything else other than FCC. It finishes down extremely well.

Unless you are working on soft black paint, try the FCC and then inspect your results. You might just be surprised.......... :)

Optimus Grime
09-21-2023, 04:22 PM
You might not need anything else other than FCC. It finishes down extremely well.

Unless you are working on soft black paint, try the FCC and then inspect your results. You might just be surprised.......... :)

Beat me to it. I did a guys black Mercedes and his VW Atlas and used FCC with a Lake country blue SDO pad and it finished very well. No need for a finishing polish.

Bri26
09-22-2023, 12:37 PM
What's interesting as far as the timing of this thread is that I just watched a YouTube video by Obsessed Garage titled "What I actually use when polishing". The owner recommends FCC or Jescar correcting compound followed by Sonax Perfect Finish. For most cars he uses the Rupes yellow microfiber with the compound and the Rupes yellow foam with the polish.

Eldorado2k
09-22-2023, 12:53 PM
What's interesting as far as the timing of this thread is that I just watched a YouTube video by Obsessed Garage titled "What I actually use when polishing". The owner recommends FCC or Jescar correcting compound followed by Sonax Perfect Finish. For most cars he uses the Rupes yellow microfiber with the compound and the Rupes yellow foam with the polish.

Is the Rupes yellow really That versatile? I’ve heard about it forever but never tried 1.

Desertnate
09-22-2023, 01:55 PM
I think they are. I love them.

In the past I used the Lake Country White flat and ThinPro pads as my go-to pad. After trying the Rupes yellow foam pads, I use them for everything and they are slowing replacing all my inventory as things wear out. I really like them.

I've used with both a medium and a finishing cut polish (several different brands) and on several different harnesses of paint. In every instance they finish out great. What I like about them is they have a touch more cut than my 'ole LC whites, but still finish out just as nicely when doing a one-step on just about any paint, from a Honda to a BMW with a Dodge, Toyota, and a Mazda thrown in for good measure.

I'll keep some more agressive pads around for when I might need them, but the pad is pretty versatile.

Eldorado2k
09-22-2023, 03:24 PM
I think they are. I love them.

That’s kinda how I describe the Lake Country Orange HDO foam pads. I’m going to have to try those Yellow pads next.

DFB
09-23-2023, 05:23 AM

I have always questioned that, using Perfect Finish as finishing polish when it's basically a one-step. To me, the concept of "perfect finish" is that the product cuts and then perfectly finishes, rather than it being a "finishing" polish.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this case, he is using a heavy cutting compound, the hitting it again with a relatively solid one-step and taking even more clear coat with it. I guess polishing rock-hard German paint requires that aggression, but he's done it softer American and Japanese paint systems too.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of Carpro Reflect as a finishing polish. Reflect produces NO DUST and offers an exceptionally easy wipe off too.

https://i.postimg.cc/5ybC44Wd/IMG-1842.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jw35vrjZ)

Bri26
09-23-2023, 07:18 AM
It must be a pretty good combination since Esoteric is also recommending the same combo. It can be done either way as a one step or a two-step. The Sonax Perfect Finish is pad dependent so paired with the yellow fine foam pad it's going to act more as a light to medium polish but finish down with a 6 out of 6 on the gloss scale. The Griots fast correcting cream and the Jescar correcting compound are more on the light to medium cut scale as far as compounds go. So paired with the Rupes yellow fine microfiber pad, it's going to be in the heavy polish to light compound category in regard to cut. I watched a YouTube video where a guy was comparing the cut of 3D One to FCC and 3D One gave a little more cut. I know it says Fast Correcting Cream but it's not really a heavy cutting compound but a great product either way.

I would recommend starting out with a test spot using perfect Finish with the Rupes yellow foam pad which is an extremely popular combo similar to 3D One and the Buff n Shine 50/50 Uro-fiber pad. If you need more defect removal, either step up the cut of the pad or do a compounding step first.

The Guz
09-23-2023, 03:58 PM
Hello,

Noobie question; Do these two products work together, or is one or the other?

I'm a little confused because from what I've read the Griots is a correcting compound, and the other is a Finishing polish, but also has 4/6 cutting capability?

Do these work together and is it a good combination?

Thank you!

Yes they work together.

Perfect Finish is a medium cut polish that can be used as either a one step polish or finishing polish after a compound stage. The DA version is Sonax EX 06-06.

M205 is within the same range as Perfect Finish. M205 is good but it's achilles heal is soft black paint. This is where Perfect Finish will outperform M205. The only drawback is Perfect Finish is dusty.

I have always questioned that, using Perfect Finish as finishing polish when it's basically a one-step. To me, the concept of "perfect finish" is that the product cuts and then perfectly finishes, rather than it being a "finishing" polish.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this case, he is using a heavy cutting compound, the hitting it again with a relatively solid one-step and taking even more clear coat with it. I guess polishing rock-hard German paint requires that aggression, but he's done it softer American and Japanese paint systems too.

For the record, I'm a huge fan of Carpro Reflect as a finishing polish. Reflect produces NO DUST and offers an exceptionally easy wipe off too.

https://i.postimg.cc/5ybC44Wd/IMG-1842.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jw35vrjZ)

Perfect Finish leaves such a nice finish and as I stated it can be used as both a one step or finishing polish following up a compounding step. Reflect is a good finishing polish but in my experience is does dust just as much as Perfect Finish.