PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the rear windshield - PLEASE help!

Jman136
09-05-2023, 06:44 PM
Hi all,

I am attempting to clean the rear windshield on my 23' Acura TLX Type S. Access to and around this window is very tight, which is making it very hard to get a streak-free window. I currently have aftermarket tint on all of the windows, so I attempted using the Stoner's glass tool with Invisible glass cleaner. That seemed to do an okay job, but I can still see some streaks when the sun hits the window.

What is the best way to get this window clean? Would spraying invisible glass all over the windshield and then squeeging it from left to right do the trick? What is your method when you have a really tight back window? I want to make sure that I don't scratch the tint, so I'm apprehensive about using a squeege on it.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Coatingsarecrack
09-05-2023, 07:38 PM
Hi all,

I am attempting to clean the rear windshield on my 23' Acura TLX Type S. Access to and around this window is very tight, which is making it very hard to get a streak-free window. I currently have aftermarket tint on all of the windows, so I attempted using the Stoner's glass tool with Invisible glass cleaner. That seemed to do an okay job, but I can still see some streaks when the sun hits the window.

What is the best way to get this window clean? Would spraying invisible glass all over the windshield and then squeeging it from left to right do the trick? What is your method when you have a really tight back window? I want to make sure that I don't scratch the tint, so I'm apprehensive about using a squeege on it.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Try draping a better MF glass towel than the covers stoner’s provides. Griots crinkle towels come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
09-05-2023, 08:23 PM
Zap Cloth.

vaca22
09-05-2023, 09:02 PM
Stating the obvious here, but I remove the headrests whenever I do my car.

Still, it's a huge PITA. I spray Invisible Glass onto the Grant's dual sided detailing towel (from Harbor Freight) and that works well.

VISITOR
09-05-2023, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxTOOItcRXQ

Prange
09-05-2023, 10:10 PM
I've used the Stoner tool with distilled water sprayed on it.

Desertnate
09-06-2023, 09:29 AM
I feel your pain. I have a similar issue in my BRZ. The window is tight and I barely fit in the "back seat" of that car.

I'll normally use Stoner's Invisible Glass sprayed onto a MF towel. I'll then follow up with a dry MF towel. I'll then go back over the areas I can't reach with the Stoner's window tool DRY. I found the included bonnet works better dry and really just in the areas I can't manage to wedge my hands.

I rarely get it right on the first try. It will look good at the time, but the next morning when the rising sun hits it I'll see streaks. I'll try to attack those problem areas. Wash, rinse, repeat....

Eldorado2k
09-06-2023, 09:48 AM
Also, you preferably want to be in the shade when cleaning glass. Cleaning glass in direct sunlight is 1 of the leading causes of streaks.

Jman136
09-06-2023, 09:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxTOOItcRXQ

Can I use a squeege on tint? I just want to verify that it will NOT scratch the tint. This back window is so difficult to do. I attempted again last night (in the garage on cool windows)... yeah, I saw streaks again this morning on my way to work. Frustrating!

Coatingsarecrack
09-07-2023, 02:21 AM
Zap Cloth.

Have you tried the Zap with the stoners tool?

Coatingsarecrack
09-07-2023, 02:27 AM
Can I use a squeege on tint? I just want to verify that it will NOT scratch the tint. This back window is so difficult to do. I attempted again last night (in the garage on cool windows)... yeah, I saw streaks again this morning on my way to work. Frustrating!

The squeegee probably won’t scratch it but the dust it might drag across it could.

I’ve seen building windows with tint on them squeegee’d and was told tint is same as automotive.
Don’t know if that is true.

Benefit to microfiber is it pulls dust and severe “into it”

Eldorado2k
09-07-2023, 03:41 AM
Have you tried the Zap with the stoners tool?

No I’ve never tried using it like that.

Eric7810
09-07-2023, 05:28 AM
This squeegee will change your life. It’s called ‘stroke doctor’ and is marketed only to window tint companies.

I wouldn’t know how to clean front and rear windshields without it. It allows you to evenly swipe those really steep glass angles and is a soft silicone.

As long as you have a surface free of dirt and you’ve got the window wet, a squeegee will not scratch tint. Squeegees are literally how tint is applied in the first place.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230907/69d1f75a11ef49f24585067a40bcb24a.jpg