PDA

View Full Version : Prep question

CleanIT
09-01-2023, 07:53 AM
Yesterday afternoon/evening I used Kamikaze Cleansing. It worked flawlessly. Paint actually came out better than I anticipated as it not only removed all existing protection, but cleaned up the paint very well and removed some light swirls. You technically don't have to wash the car after using Kamikaze, but I did anyway and washed with Descale one more time. Paint looks fantastic.

I ran out of light yesterday and truck sat in driveway. Weather has been dry, cool and sunny. Before applying the coating, do you think I could get away with just doing a quick ONR wipe down followed by Gyeon Prep? I know ONR leaves polymers behind, but they don't appear to be durable and I'm thinking Prep would remove them. Or, do another full wash? As it stands now, the paint is extremely clean despite sitting outside overnight.

Tbonem3
09-01-2023, 12:10 PM
I would just do one more complete panel wipe.

I also assume (please correct me someone if I'm wrong) that buffing the car right before LSP application creates more static charge on the paint surface for better bonding?

I wouldn't bother with the ONR esp since it could leave something behind - but are you worried that the panel prep won't be enough lube and you might marr the paint?

CleanIT
09-01-2023, 12:38 PM
I would just do one more complete panel wipe.

I also assume (please correct me someone if I'm wrong) that buffing the car right before LSP application creates more static charge on the paint surface for better bonding?

I wouldn't bother with the ONR esp since it could leave something behind - but are you worried that the panel prep won't be enough lube and you might marr the paint?

Thank you. I just went outside out of curiosity to check on the paint after it sat all night. It's extremely clean with no noticeable dirty anywhere. I 'm going to just panel wipe it with Prep then.

SNP209
09-01-2023, 08:54 PM
That kamikaze anti aging cleansing product is very intriguing. I do find one thing odd though. Bare uncontaminated paint has a hydrophobic surface, while the kamikaze product leaves the painted surface hydrophilic which tells me there is still something left on the surface. The question is, what exactly is it? Would be cool to polish a section of a vehicle as a control and go over the rest of the car with the kamikaze product to see if there is a discernible difference.

CleanIT
09-01-2023, 09:17 PM
That kamikaze anti aging cleansing product is very intriguing. I do find one thing odd though. Bare uncontaminated paint has a hydrophobic surface, while the kamikaze product leaves the painted surface hydrophilic which tells me there is still something left on the surface. The question is, what exactly is it? Would be cool to polish a section of a vehicle as a control and go over the rest of the car with the kamikaze product to see if there is a discernible difference.

That's a good point. I tested it though. After using it I washed with Descale. Was still flat.

SNP209
09-01-2023, 10:02 PM
That's a good point. I tested it though. After using it I washed with Descale. Was still flat.

The fact that the water behavior is still flat, is an indicator that something is still there. As I mentioned earlier, bare uncontaminated paint is hydrophobic and will shed water at a decent rate. Sio2 by itself is hydrophilic, I'm wondering if the kamikaze product removed the hydrophobic component of the cancoat and left behind the sio2? Or do the light abrasives abrade the product to the point where enough mechanical adhesion is provided to apply a new LSP over the surface? I'm not trying to bash the product in any way I am genuinely curious as to what the mechanism is behind it.