PDA

View Full Version : New sofa recliner time.

PA DETAILER
08-28-2023, 09:36 AM
Well, after 17 years the current one finally gave up one side of the recliner mechanism. And just looking old. No shame. Provided many a fine nap and hours of comfortable TV viewing. Picked one out yesterday at the local BOSCOVS Dept. store. CLAIR is the make. Delivery is free. And $60 to remove the old one. Found out many stores in the area do not offer removal of the old one! That was a dealbreaker. So good to go for delivery on Sept. 1st. Saturday.

Paul A.
08-28-2023, 09:50 AM
Just in time for football season. Good call.

PA DETAILER
08-28-2023, 10:07 AM
LOL. With as fast as summer is going by, inside time is sadly around the corner.

PaulMys
08-28-2023, 04:48 PM
Well, after 17 years the current one finally gave up one side of the recliner mechanism. And just looking old. No shame. Provided many a fine nap and hours of comfortable TV viewing. Picked one out yesterday at the local BOSCOVS Dept. store. CLAIR is the make. Delivery is free. And $60 to remove the old one. Found out many stores in the area do not offer removal of the old one! That was a dealbreaker. So good to go for delivery on Sept. 1st. Saturday.

Big time.

What in the hell are you supposed to do with and old couch, mattress, fridge, or stove when you buy a new one?

I called around for a plumber after my original water heater $hit the bed about 2 years after we bought our house. I got in touch with one guy who was recommended to me. Friend of mine said he did great work, and was just starting out.

He gave me a very fair price so I was just about to close the deal with him before I asked: "You're going to haul away the old one too, right?"

He told me "No. I don't do that.". I politely declined the job after telling him that he was going to lose a LOT of business that way.

Big Dave
08-28-2023, 05:53 PM
I've become very good at dismantling whatever they won't remove, recliners, sofas, washing machines, all sorts of things. When we moved house a few years ago, we decided to go with new furniture in the main rooms, but there was a delay in delivery, so we took a couple of old sofas with us, when the new ones were delivered, I broke up the biggest and put it in the bin over a few weeks, the other I moved into a corner of the garage, I share it with my dogs now. The old recliners I gave to charity before we moved, the good ones anyway, one was dismantled and thrown into the skip bin off the balcony, always fun.

For our main room we chose a nice big 3 seater/2 seater leather combo. In the media room, where the big TV is, and me, we got a big 3 seater with electric recliners at either end, with built in multicoloured LED lighting and USB charging ports. I don't think I could go back to a regular recliner now.

You do realise that you've got 2 or 3 months of wearing in ahead of you, dialling it into your butt shape. I remember a sign at a recliner shop years ago that basically said, when your new recliner is delivered, it won't feel as comfortable as these, you'll need to sit in it as much as possible to soften the foam, no returns will be accepted because it's not as comfortable as the display units. It's true though, it takes a few months to soften them up.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

PaulMys
08-28-2023, 07:01 PM
I've become very good at dismantling whatever they won't remove..... and put in the bin......

Yeah, but we don't have Kangaroos and Aborigines to carry the pieces away, Dave.

You lucky ba$tards...............;)

Big Dave
08-28-2023, 07:24 PM
Yeah, but we don't have Kangaroos and Aborigines to carry the pieces away, Dave.

You lucky ba$tards...............;)You can always put something in the front yard with a "free" sign on it, and if that doesn't work, just do the Simpsons trick and put a chain and padlock on it, then it will go for sure.

PA DETAILER
09-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Arrived today at 12:30. Removal and set up went butter smooth. Yea!

sixsix
09-02-2023, 05:56 PM
Big time.

What in the hell are you supposed to do with and old couch, mattress, fridge, or stove when you buy a new one?

I called around for a plumber after my original water heater $hit the bed about 2 years after we bought our house. I got in touch with one guy who was recommended to me. Friend of mine said he did great work, and was just starting out.

He gave me a very fair price so I was just about to close the deal with him before I asked: "You're going to haul away the old one too, right?"

He told me "No. I don't do that.". I politely declined the job after telling him that he was going to lose a LOT of business that way.

The company that picks up your regular house garbage won't pick it up? All I have to do is call them up and schedule a bulk pick up and they'll come and get it. We get 1 free bulk pick up a year. I had them get a mattress and box spring a while back.

PaulMys
09-02-2023, 05:57 PM
The company that picks up your regular house garbage won't pick it up? All I have to do is call them up and schedule a bulk pick up and they'll come and get it. We get 1 free bulk pick up a year. I had them get a mattress and box spring a while back.

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneheadlite
09-02-2023, 07:43 PM
I've become very good at dismantling whatever they won't remove, recliners, sofas, washing machines, all sorts of things. …

I can’t believe you’d do such a thing!

Meanwhile, me after my garbage company started charging for Christmas tree disposal:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230903/cac13b8a771d856bbef05f03304a3d69.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230903/3c3a44c972dd123aa7e46fb3751e21e5.jpg

(Let the record show, that’s a yard waste container and the guidelines state no branches over 4”. I kept the trunk to burn)

Big Dave
09-02-2023, 10:36 PM
I can’t believe you’d do such a thing!

I had a history actually. At my last job in Sydney, one of my responsibilities was to ensure returned office equipment was rendered inoperable before dumping it in the bin. Usually this involved hammers and screwdrivers, occasionally a forklift and dropping something from full height, and once, on a dare, ripping it apart without tools, using only gloves, no-one thought I could do it, they were wrong.

I also had a standing offer to anyone in the office having a bad day, come out to the warehouse and I'll give you a hammer and something to smash, a great stress reliever.

PA DETAILER
09-03-2023, 08:43 AM
I have heard the same thing in our area. If you call the trash company, they will haul away one big item. Unrelated, when I pruned that tree Friday, I was going to put the branches in big contractors' bags, then out to the trash. A real pain. But the firehall behind me has a big burn pile started with several items included branches, So I got the wheelbarrow and in two trips was done. What a time saver!

Back to the delivery. 20 MIN they were in and out! Broke the old one down and set up the new. Guess I still believe removal should be offered if you buy new! But i found out why many of them don't do it. It is an insurance thing. If your old piece of furniture is infested, it will infest everything on their truck. Just glad I found a place that offered removal. They do have the option to REFUSE it if they see it is infested.