PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Bumper - Dye needed, or just a coating

Pages : [1] 2

ejaf
08-18-2023, 04:17 PM
Hey all,

Just got my daughter's Jeep JL back in the driveway. We bought this for her back in 2021, and she has since moved out.

When first purchased, I coated the trim with CarPro DLux. Of course, now that is isn't home, it hasn't been getting as much TLC.

Here are some photos...I have done a thorough cleaning with a scrub brush and APC twice, and this light gray residue (not sure if residue, or just weathering) is not going away.

Wondering if this would be taken care of after prepping with a ceramic coating (don't know which one, but have been doing research), or do you feel I'm going to have to use a dye based product (aka Solution Finish), let that cure, and then follow up with a ceramic coating.

I am asking since I have read several threads, and would hate to just go with the coating, and "then" find out I should have used a dye.

Thoughts appreciated...Eric

PaulMys
08-18-2023, 04:24 PM
Solution Finish.

Then Over the Top. :)

ejaf
08-18-2023, 08:39 PM
Solution Finish.

Then Over the Top. :)

So, in your opinion, it has weathered and faded, and thus needs a dye based solution? I have been watching some "longevity" videos, and the review basically said Solution Finish was the way to go with dye based, but there were others mentioned (that I don't think are sold on here), which seem to restore trim without needing dyes.

DanaDetailingPros
08-18-2023, 09:29 PM
I thought Solution Finish was the bees knees after it did wonders for me on my car and 2 other customers cars. I also was expecting it to last longer than all of the above renewal products, after watching Brian at Apex. Then in only a mater of months it started fading in allot of the coverage areas. I'm sure if I had used a ceramic coating after the SF it would of held up. I found one I like allot but it's still in the trial phases. (Cera Trim) After posting my experience with both I have heard nothing but raving success with Cerakote! It's just not practical for me since I'm after the biggest bang for the buck! Doing this as a business.

The Guz
08-18-2023, 09:39 PM
This is why i moved away from coating trim. This is pretty typical of a ceramic trim coating as it starts to age. Once coated it is best to re-coat it once a year. What you could try is a magic eraser with some APC to see if that helps remove it.

Solution Finish is not a dye. It won't restore the trim like before as the ceramic coating is deep within the pores and won't allow the SF to penetrate and soak. It seems others have forgotten that solution finish does not offer any type of protection. It is a trim restorer. Thus Chris West came out with over the top to add that protection.

ejaf
08-18-2023, 09:49 PM
This is why i moved away from coating trim. This is pretty typical of a ceramic trim coating as it starts to age. Once coated it is best to re-coat it once a year. What you could try is a magic eraser with some APC to see if that helps remove it.

Solution Finish is not a dye. It won't restore the trim like before as the ceramic coating is deep within the pores and won't allow the SF to penetrate and soak. It seems others have forgotten that solution finish does not offer any type of protection. It is a trim restorer. Thus Chris West came out with over the top to add that protection.

I was wondering whether it was the coat, as compared to weathering. The fact that the DLux was on for about 2.5 years was making it question whether it was a true fade, compared to perhaps ceramic "residue" that has started to come up, but not easily. I look at it with jeweler's glasses, and still couldn't tell.

I can try the magic eraser idea. I would really love to find a very, very stiff brush, with really thin bristles (yes, that's an oxymoron).

Cerakote definitely is on my list, with some of the reviews out there. Just don't want to put it on, if I truly need a dye based solution. Which is why I am hoping some of you pros can tell me whether I could just slap it on to take care of the graying.

I also thought that solution finish was a dye, thanks for the correcton.

Danube
08-18-2023, 10:51 PM
Maybe a powerful APC first, if not then dye.

DanaDetailingPros
08-19-2023, 08:49 PM
I was wondering whether it was the coat, as compared to weathering. The fact that the DLux was on for about 2.5 years was making it question whether it was a true fade, compared to perhaps ceramic "residue" that has started to come up, but not easily. I look at it with jeweler's glasses, and still couldn't tell.

I can try the magic eraser idea. I would really love to find a very, very stiff brush, with really thin bristles (yes, that's an oxymoron).

Cerakote definitely is on my list, with some of the reviews out there. Just don't want to put it on, if I truly need a dye based solution. Which is why I am hoping some of you pros can tell me whether I could just slap it on to take care of the graying.

I also thought that solution finish was a dye, thanks for the correcton.

I found a trim restorer I like over the solution finish. I'm curious if over the top will be a good choice to add so longevity Mike?

Coatingsarecrack
08-20-2023, 04:08 AM
Based of what Guz said about coating seeping into pores I would try to re coat it. If you can’t use something like solution finish maybe it would “reactivate” it?

Try in inconspicuous spot and see ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl_in_Chicago
08-20-2023, 10:56 AM
. . . or just replace it with a "real" steel bumper like Jeeps should have from the factory. :p

ejaf
08-21-2023, 10:01 AM
. . . or just replace it with a "real" steel bumper like Jeeps should have from the factory. :p

lol...know what you mean, but not sure if that is an option, since it's not really officially "mine". Although in the family, so it might count. ;)

I ran a couple of tests. This leftover greying in areas is definitely the old DLux...If I take a pin, and go into several of the dimples, the greyish stuff comes out. Just can't seem to find a solution which works to get it out (understandable, since that is what coatings do).

I fear just putting something like solution finish on it as it stands today will basically just trap this residue. Need to find something that can gently remove it (I'm trying various cleaning agents, all water based, because I learned the hard way something like mineral spirits is NOT the way to go). The only thing I haven't tried is the magic eraser idea, which will probably be tried later this afternoon.

I tried some left over CarPro DLux on an inconspicuous area...although it definitely looked better, the jeweler's glasses inspection does show a slightly different appearance where the residue was left.

Wondering whether the products, along the lines of Solution Finish, actually do remove these remnants, or whether they expect the remnants to be removed via the prep step.

I'll continue my experiments, until either a) the test works to remove it or b) the continued experiments cause enough friction to remove the remnants physically ;)

TIA...Eric. Great suggestion given by all.

PA DETAILER
08-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (https://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html)

ejaf
08-21-2023, 12:51 PM
Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (https://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html)

Have it, tried it...no joy. Not dealing with wax, dealing with an old coating.

The Guz
08-21-2023, 01:06 PM
lol...know what you mean, but not sure if that is an option, since it's not really officially "mine". Although in the family, so it might count. ;)

I ran a couple of tests. This leftover greying in areas is definitely the old DLux...If I take a pin, and go into several of the dimples, the greyish stuff comes out. Just can't seem to find a solution which works to get it out (understandable, since that is what coatings do).

I fear just putting something like solution finish on it as it stands today will basically just trap this residue. Need to find something that can gently remove it (I'm trying various cleaning agents, all water based, because I learned the hard way something like mineral spirits is NOT the way to go). The only thing I haven't tried is the magic eraser idea, which will probably be tried later this afternoon.

I tried some left over CarPro DLux on an inconspicuous area...although it definitely looked better, the jeweler's glasses inspection does show a slightly different appearance where the residue was left.

Wondering whether the products, along the lines of Solution Finish, actually do remove these remnants, or whether they expect the remnants to be removed via the prep step.

I'll continue my experiments, until either a) the test works to remove it or b) the continued experiments cause enough friction to remove the remnants physically ;)

TIA...Eric. Great suggestion given by all.

Solution finish will not remove a coating from the trim. It will also appear blotchy when trying to restore ceramic coated trim with solution finish. Which is why I no longer use ceramic coatings on trim. Shine Supply as a trim paint that you may want to look into.

Also the Mothers trim cleaner won't touch it so don't bother with that.

Paul A.
08-21-2023, 04:40 PM
Clean thoroughly. Then Solution Finish and Over The Top.

Just like jerky boy Paulie Mys said!