PDA

View Full Version : What's your can't-miss approach for salt in carpet?

oneheadlite
08-18-2023, 12:32 PM
As the title says, what's your can't miss method for tackling salt crust and stains in carpet?

My new daily has a fair dose of it on the driver's side that I've gotta address. I've heard of diluting vinegar into warm/hot water, what ratio do folks use? I've also heard of pounding the carpet for big buildup to help break the bond to the carpet.

Looking forward to some advice to make the task a bit easier to get through.

Relevant Tools/materials on hand: Carpet brushes (drill and standard), Tornador black, Carpet shampoo'r (full size Rug doctor style + little bissel spot bot), Optimum MDR (not sure if anyone's ever used it on carpet, just throwing it out there). Griot's interior cleaner, Citrus multi-surface cleaner. APC.

No steamer, though I've considered it (just so hard to justify...); no formal extractor.

MisterSnoop
08-18-2023, 04:52 PM
I used 50/50 warm water/vinegar on my floor mats.

The Guz
08-18-2023, 09:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iETFu-hCDko&ab_channel=Dr.Beasley%27s

Danube
08-18-2023, 10:46 PM
I usually use any APC that I have at hand.

Also, a stain removing liquid that my wifey use in the laundry for dirty kids clothing works fine as well.

Many options out there.

MisterSnoop
08-19-2023, 08:27 AM
I will add that vinegar does leave a smell behind. With floor mats, you can let them air out outside the car (unlike carpeting).

oneheadlite
08-19-2023, 02:03 PM
I will add that vinegar does leave a smell behind. With floor mats, you can let them air out outside the car (unlike carpeting).

Yeah, I’ve been in customer cars where you can tell they did the vinegar treatment. Feels like you’d need to follow it with an odor eliminating carpet cleaner, though being mindful to not over-saturate the carpet.

PSA: Remember there’s frequently wiring and control modules down there! (Not to mention the ill effects of leaving too much moisture in the carpet padding).

One of the videos that made me stop watching detailing videos - the guy sprayed purple power all over the carpets, and had so much water sprayed in there you could see puddles of liquid as he was scrubbing it with a brush. As a technician, Having dealt with the aftermath of water under carpets and what happens when it gets into splices and such, that was a heck-no for me…

oneheadlite
10-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Well, with an absence of free time to play around, I ordered a bottle of Salt Chisel to try out at Guz's recommendation.

Had a chance to spray it in a corner just to see how it works as well as see if it has any kind of odor - was pleasantly surprised that it seems like it's really going to work. And the biggest benefit (and truthfully the reason I went this route vs DIY vinegar treatment) - really no odor to note.

When I have a chance to really sit down with it I'll be sure to get some before and after pictures and share more of a write up on it.

BlakeC
10-15-2023, 02:16 PM
Best preventative. WeatherTechs . 6 winters no salt.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

MidnightNarwhal
10-15-2023, 09:57 PM
Best preventative. WeatherTechs . 6 winters no salt.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Ha I wish... on my BMW E92 the WeatherTechs really aren't that great. I got them last year and still a lot of salt in the same areas I had with the BMW rubber winter mats.

BlakeC
10-16-2023, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear. I’ve had WT floor liners in the last 4 Lexus RXs and they have protected my carpets perfectly.

Sleper
10-16-2023, 08:46 AM
I went to a janitorial store and purchased a gallon of product that works on salt in carpets. You only use an ounce for a gallon so it will last me and my friends a lifetime. Works well as I have been using for years. you can also buy spray products that work just as well for more money. your choice

392hemi
10-16-2023, 05:53 PM
As the title says, what's your can't miss method for tackling salt crust and stains in carpet?

My new daily has a fair dose of it on the driver's side that I've gotta address. I've heard of diluting vinegar into warm/hot water, what ratio do folks use? I've also heard of pounding the carpet for big buildup to help break the bond to the carpet.

Looking forward to some advice to make the task a bit easier to get through.

Relevant Tools/materials on hand: Carpet brushes (drill and standard), Tornador black, Carpet shampoo'r (full size Rug doctor style + little bissel spot bot), Optimum MDR (not sure if anyone's ever used it on carpet, just throwing it out there). Griot's interior cleaner, Citrus multi-surface cleaner. APC.

No steamer, though I've considered it (just so hard to justify...); no formal extractor.

I give the spots a good brush to loosen it and vacuum. Then I'll take a rinseless wash solution thay leaves nothing behind (N914) or similar. Take a microfiber cloth, dampen with solution and scrub the stains and let dry. I've also used resolve, dawn dishwasher liquid (use very little) or laundry detergent in water and make a solution. Don't make it so strong that it will Sud too much.

The best thing I've found is to use Husky liners/weather tech, whichever offers full complete coverage. You can remove them in the summer time.

I just got a set of Tuxmats. Way nicer looking, way better complete coverage and I can vacuum and wipe with rinseless to look new. They are not typical rubber looking ugly mats (google tuxmat :)).

oneheadlite
10-17-2023, 12:19 PM
I went to a janitorial store and purchased a gallon of product that works on salt in carpets. You only use an ounce for a gallon so it will last me and my friends a lifetime. Works well as I have been using for years. you can also buy spray products that work just as well for more money. your choice

Funny you mention that. After I got the Salt Chisel, I kept thinking the custodial / carpet cleaning industy's gotta have a solution (no pun intended) for this. Found several options just doing a quick search. Next go around maybe I'll try that route.

Or if you ever want to freshen up that gallon maybe we could compare inventory and see if you'd wanna trade a few ounces to and fro. :D

Regarding WeatherTechs (or others) - despite the salt issue (mostly from previous owners and my lack of catching up on it), I prefer the factory all weather mats. I work on cars for a living, thus get to live vicariously through others seeing different floor mats in action. From most of what I've seen, I'm happy to stick with what I've got.

chefwong
10-17-2023, 04:44 PM
Slightly different design approach, but for mats, huge fan of the TuxMats or 3D ones.

On OP, have a full size extractor but I suppose investing in a small Bissel should do it.
IMO, especially with textiles / interiors, I would think suck is more superior than *blow*....:doh:

If one invest in a full extractor, the sapphire wand is the extractor head to pair it with