PDA

View Full Version : Just coated, and it rained 7 hours later. What to do?

ejaf
08-15-2023, 06:09 AM
Hey all...long story short.

Just bought a new Sportage (my Escape, which had 122K miles on it, had the torque converter bite the dust, and I couldn't see putting any more money into it, although the trade in I got was helped tremendously, since the paint was in pristine condition, thanks to you all ;) ).

I pulled out some old Mckee's 37 ceramic coating (3.5 years old), that was refrigerated, and seemed to go on the same as when new (flashed as usual). My question isn't whether it's still good.

My question is that after finishing all the paint, it rained, approximately 7 hours later. It was around 85 degrees here, and a little on the humid side, so I am wondering if the coating didn't cure fully, what would you all suggest I do, in order to not have to restart the process?

Any tips appreciated...Eric

Klasse Act
08-15-2023, 06:27 AM
I assume your outside 24/7 like me and IMO I'd check the weather and look for a 24 hr window of dry and put down another coat [emoji362]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

opie
08-15-2023, 07:49 AM
After you applied the coating...Did you wipe down with a ceramic sealant or ceramic detail spray to protect it while the coating cures?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Desertnate
08-15-2023, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there is some visible indications that would cause concern. The coating had some pretty good cure time in the hot sun and it was well over half of the 12 hours most brands recommend. IMO many of those time recommendations are conservative to ensure the best possible outcome, but things will be OK if it isn't completely perfect.

Worst case, take Klasse's advice above and apply a second layer as soon as conditions allow to give you peace of mind.

ejaf
08-15-2023, 08:37 AM
What a concept...like an idiot, I was too hyped up with a new car. I do have enough to appliy a second.

ejaf
08-15-2023, 08:38 AM
After you applied the coating...Did you wipe down with a ceramic sealant or ceramic detail spray to protect it while the coating cures?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I did not...and found some threads mentioning to do this...I have been using Griot's 3-1 ceramic, and can apply that.

ejaf
08-15-2023, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there is some visible indications that would cause concern. The coating had some pretty good cure time in the hot sun and it was well over half of the 12 hours most brands recommend. IMO many of those time recommendations are conservative to ensure the best possible outcome, but things will be OK if it isn't completely perfect.

Worst case, take Klasse's advice above and apply a second layer as soon as conditions allow to give you peace of mind.

Sure was beading nice this morning. Will see how the weather looks, and look for any signs of issues. Stuff was flashing really fast, so it didn't take too long to apply.

ejaf
08-15-2023, 11:28 AM
Just dried it off, using Griot's 3-1 as a drying aid (love WFH ;) ). All looks good so far, except "maybe" the gloss black plastic side mirror housings.

Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again