PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coated my car, residue remaining

SlvrDragon50
08-04-2023, 12:43 PM
Hey!

I had applied CQuartz to my Tesla which went well, but I ran into an issue where my windows have a sliver of residue on the bottom portion because the windows retract when the door opens. I've tried buffing it with a microfiber towel by hand but I doesn't seem to be doing anything. I suspect it's from CQuartz that got stuck in the window seal and smearing on the window. Do I have to polish it off or can I use some solutions to help remove it? I have some Eraser and APC leftover.

Rsurfer
08-04-2023, 01:15 PM
Hey!

I had applied CQuartz to my Tesla which went well, but I ran into an issue where my windows have a sliver of residue on the bottom portion because the windows retract when the door opens. I've tried buffing it with a microfiber towel by hand but I doesn't seem to be doing anything. I suspect it's from CQuartz that got stuck in the window seal and smearing on the window. Do I have to polish it off or can I use some solutions to help remove it? I have some Eraser and APC leftover.

First tape the sill. Doubt if Eraser will work, but least aggressive first. You can try alcohol next or any polish should take it off.

SlvrDragon50
08-04-2023, 06:54 PM
First tape the sill. Doubt if Eraser will work, but least aggressive first. You can try alcohol next or any polish should take it off.

Thanks. Sounds good!

Danube
08-04-2023, 08:15 PM
Polishing with a proper compound should solve this.

Desertnate
08-09-2023, 07:39 AM
Agree. Polishing will be the only thing to get it off. However, you don't have to go full gorilla and break out a compound and your DA. A little finishing polish on a foam pad should allow you to remove it by hand.

A couple of years ago I got sloppy and some coating ended up on my back window while I was doing the trunk deck. Lighting wasn't ideal, so I missed it until the next day when I pulled it into the sun. No cleaning product would put a dent in it and I had to resort to a polish.

Agent6er
08-09-2023, 05:01 PM
I just took out the high spots on my car with some mild polish on a microfiber towel. If it's a tiny spot it's easier to only hit that spot, and IME you can "FEEL" when it's gone/diminished. Sometimes you wont even take out the coating.

SlvrDragon50
08-10-2023, 09:48 PM
I just took out the high spots on my car with some mild polish on a microfiber towel. If it's a tiny spot it's easier to only hit that spot, and IME you can "FEEL" when it's gone/diminished. Sometimes you wont even take out the coating.

Yep, it worked on 2 of my windows and took down the 3rd (heaviest layer) a good bit. I need to go back and spend a bit more time with the microfiber towel, and I can get it all gone.