PDA

View Full Version : Got misted by something

FishyX
08-01-2023, 09:33 AM
Did a full clay bar and wax job about 3 weeks ago and she was looking and feeling perfect. Washed her up the other day and noticed some kind of fine mist had coated the paint while I was drying with a micro fiber towel. Surface felt like 200 grit sandpaper. After a 2nd wash nothing changed so I decided to use a clay bar again and it immediately turned black. It's a really fine mist of something but not sure what it is or how it happened. I was thinking trees or tar. I have been driving through a lot of hwy road work lately. Any ideas??? I'm gonna try a little alcohol and de-greaser just to see if it's oil based but haven't had a chance yet. I don't think it's any type of paint over spray.

PA DETAILER
08-01-2023, 09:48 AM
Agree. Sounds like tree sap or road tar?

Desertnate
08-01-2023, 12:42 PM
Have you been driving in an area with some large trucks?

One instance I ran into was being in traffic with a truck full of recyclables from people's trash. The truck was leaking some sticky brown liquid that atomized at highway speeds and misted every car within 1/4 mile of it while it drove down the highway. Another time, I got sprayed with some sticky goo leaking out of a feed truck that hit the air and created a nice sticky cloud. I have a feeling it was something mollassas based.

Both times it left the surface really rough to the touch. I had to use a combination of clay bar and tar remover to get it all off.

Danube
08-01-2023, 06:51 PM
Did a full clay bar and wax job about 3 weeks ago and she was looking and feeling perfect. Washed her up the other day and noticed some kind of fine mist had coated the paint while I was drying with a micro fiber towel. Surface felt like 200 grit sandpaper. After a 2nd wash nothing changed so I decided to use a clay bar again and it immediately turned black. It's a really fine mist of something but not sure what it is or how it happened. I was thinking trees or tar. I have been driving through a lot of hwy road work lately. Any ideas??? I'm gonna try a little alcohol and de-greaser just to see if it's oil based but haven't had a chance yet. I don't think it's any type of paint over spray.

Is the clay removing all of that stuff or just partially ?

FishyX
08-01-2023, 08:58 PM
I just did the hood so far and the clay got it all off. I'll get a chance to mess with it tomorrow and try to determine what it is. Judging by the black color on the clay bar I'm still thinking it was a mist of something like driveway coating.

Danube
08-01-2023, 09:34 PM
I just did the hood so far and the clay got it all off. I'll get a chance to mess with it tomorrow and try to determine what it is. Judging by the black color on the clay bar I'm still thinking it was a mist of something like driveway coating.

There you go, now you know how to remove it all from the car.

Are you planing on doing paint correction, or only clay and wax !?