PDA

View Full Version : question about new paint

Tragu
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi I did a search and for some reason after looking thru 5 pages of info I did not find the info that I needed. My friend is going to paint his vintage Vette it wil be a base and a clear he wants me to compound it and do the final polish on it no wax or sealant. I plan on using menzerna cause they dont have fillers and silicon in them I have nano for the final what would you guys suggest for the first step and how soon after he sprays the car can I safely polish it with no wax we weill wait 3 months for wax. It will not be cured in a drying booth. I have a UDM and a Flex. thanx in advance.
Edit it will be 2000 grit wet sanded

Tragu
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Help please

KrisMas
04-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I had been asking almost the same question to quite a few forums and this is what I can summarize for you in relation to your question (without any hands-on experience since I'm still waiting for the 120 days recommended by the paint supplier to pass).

First and foremost you'll need to know exactly what type of paint your friend is using and try to obtain the data sheets which contain product specifications and recommendations from the paint supplier. I have one from Dupont and in it contain all the information I needed as to when I can start sanding, compounding and polishing the paint. There it says can be polished after 6 hrs if air dry or 1.5 hrs if forced dry (baked).

After wet sanding, you'll need to remove the sanding marks with a compound. Sticking to Menz line that would be the Powergloss POS34A preferably with a wool pad. Afterwards would be with the milder Intensive Polish PO91E on a polishing foam pad and finally with the Nano Polish PO106FF on a finishing foam pad.

You didn't specify exactly which Flex you have, either the 3401 or the 3404 but the above is assuming it's the rotary. For the Nano Polish you can either use the rotary or the UDM, it would depends on your preferences. I can't say anything if you're using the 3401 cuz I've got no experience with it, maybe somebody else can chime in on that one.

Hope the above is what you're looking for.

Tragu
04-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Flex 3401 is the machine I will do power gloss then to nano I think that will work it says finishes up to a super clear says that on lighter colors you dont need to go any further. I also have a couple of odds and end polishes to get rid of. I may try the 3M I forget the names but it is a 2 part Process. I may try that if my friend buys that.

Tragu
05-03-2008, 06:13 PM
bump