PDA

View Full Version : TSA Travel Screening...checked bag

Paul A.
07-25-2023, 09:02 AM
I'll be flying up to Mass and will be detailing a couple family vehicles. I am planning to check a box with my Flex, rotary, pads, compounds, polishes etc.

Has anyone experienced any screening issues with detailing tools, equip or liquids?

I've been in touch with the TSA and they say I'm good if it's all in checked baggage.

Just don't want any sad surprises when i arrive.

Desertnate
07-25-2023, 09:22 AM
I don't see why you'd run into any issues with checked baggage. My wife and daughters fly with all manner of bottles of liquids in various sizes and hair care tools in their checked suitcases and never have an issue. Your bottles of products and tools should be treated no different. People fly with firearms in checked bags, and I've seen people doing work for my organization fly with pelican cases full of all sorts of tools and test gear. You're gear should not be a problem as long as it's checked and not in a carry-on.

I'd be more worried about things getting broken or popping open due to pressure changes or getting smashed by the baggage handlers than TSA not allowing you to check them.

Paul A.
07-25-2023, 09:30 AM
Thanks Nate. Yes, the worry of rough "handling" had me overly protect the box contents. Small bags of mf towels, bubblewrap, taped down liquid caps and liquids in bags etc.

I'm not really too concerned but with a wealth of experience here i thought someone could share something I haven't thought completely through.

Thanks again, my friend.

Paul A.
07-25-2023, 09:34 AM
The last time i did this i shipped all of my stuff via FedEx and had no problems.

This is a first as checked airline baggage.

Non stop flight and double check the destination city code tag for the destination.

Gridlink
07-25-2023, 10:33 AM
I'd also put an Apple Air Tag or Tile Tracker if you're on Android in the bag. I have one in every checked bag whenever I travel.

pilotpip
07-25-2023, 10:46 AM
I'd put the apple tag on the flex.

Put your bottles in a ziplock bag. Not all baggage compartments are pressurized. You may find a mess if one comes open in flight.

Paul A.
07-25-2023, 10:55 AM
Awesome idea, Grid. I have a Tile i can use for that.

Yup, got that covered pilotpip. Airbus A-220. Will research that.

Thank you both. I appreciate the comments.

Prange
07-25-2023, 08:33 PM
Don’t fill the bottles, leave some room for expansion. Good luck.

John U
07-25-2023, 09:10 PM
Back in the good old days, I packed my 3401 in my carry on.

Danube
07-25-2023, 11:40 PM
Rough handling may be your greatest challenge .. don't ask me how I know it.

Paul A.
07-26-2023, 08:47 AM
I hear ya, Danube. I'm retired from a career in Airport Ops Mgmnt!

I got stories...

93ZF6
07-28-2023, 04:03 AM
Great info, I’m traveling next week and love the Air Tag idea.
Traveled back in the day with my PC in carry on, whenleaving JFK
A TSA agent was miserable telling me no tools can be in carry on
Took a while to settle her down

Paul A.
07-28-2023, 01:07 PM
I arrived with everything intact!

Thanks, folks, for throwing in some ideas.

Paul A.
07-28-2023, 01:11 PM
Check the TSA website Prohibited Items list for valuable info.

If push came to shove with them I would've pulled up the list and proved my compliance.

They're more liberal with checked bag allowances but I like to carry on the important, expensive stuff.

MisterSnoop
07-28-2023, 07:53 PM
Great info, I’m traveling next week and love the Air Tag idea.
Traveled back in the day with my PC in carry on, whenleaving JFK
A TSA agent was miserable telling me no tools can be in carry on
Took a while to settle her down

I bought my gf an airtag just for traveling. I have Tiles. Too many people lose their bags. I had a pair of safety wire pliers in my carryon that were longer than allowed. One of the agents in St. Thomas was showing me how to use them. He was obviously a little more chill.