PDA

View Full Version : Another coating high spot question

Pages : [1] 2

jdgamble
07-13-2023, 07:25 PM
Hey guys,

I found some threads on this, but many different answers. I just coated my ride with Wolfgang PROFI, and I have some high spots. Two of them I tried to fix, but I didn't get it right.

Is there a good method to polish only a specific area and reapply? Or do I need to do the whole panels? The worst offender is the rear bumper, which is the trickiest part.

If I mask off the area, polish, then reapply with some overlap, should I be able to clean this up?

On a brighter note, there's this:

Thanks all

John

Bruno Soares
07-13-2023, 07:31 PM
I’ve never been able to blend it well, always had to polish and coat the entire panel again to achieve satisfactory results.

Coatingsarecrack
07-14-2023, 05:17 AM
Yeah same here usually whole panel. If you have enough left I would try to spot blend it. Maybe your coating will react differently.

If it doesn’t look right then redo whole panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertnate
07-14-2023, 07:40 AM
Location of the high spot and the color of the paint have a lot to do with how easily you can correct the spot.

I found on dark colors in a highly visible spot like a door, hood or roof, it took a re-do of the whole panel to make it look right. On an area like the front facia, rocker panels or rear bumpers with a light color you might be able to spot correct.

jdgamble
07-14-2023, 05:47 PM
It's yellow and apparently very forgiving, cuz I kinda blew it. I will probably try the easy approach first.

Thanks for the feedback.

Danube
07-14-2023, 06:37 PM
Hey guys,

I found some threads on this, but many different answers. I just coated my ride with Wolfgang PROFI, and I have some high spots. Two of them I tried to fix, but I didn't get it right.

Is there a good method to polish only a specific area and reapply? Or do I need to do the whole panels? The worst offender is the rear bumper, which is the trickiest part.

If I mask off the area, polish, then reapply with some overlap, should I be able to clean this up?

On a brighter note, there's this:

Thanks all

John

Did you use too much product .... what caused the high spots ?!

Or you left the product for too long before wiping it off ?

Eric7810
07-14-2023, 07:36 PM
If it’s up to five hours later that I see the spot I can dab some coating on my applicator and basically polish it out.

If it’s the next morning that’s when trouble starts.

jdgamble
07-14-2023, 10:47 PM
Did you use too much product .... what caused the high spots ?!

Or you left the product for too long before wiping it off ?

It flashed super quick on the bumper, and I felt like I had been wiping too hard and removing too much coating previously. So I probably didn’t wipe those spots hard enough. I may have used too much too. On one section, I applied a second time because I felt like it came off too easy.

It was my first time coating, so learning experience. Honestly 99% of the population would never notice. But I’m in the 1%, as we all are. Haha.

Car looks pretty good. But really no better than PNS+sovereign.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Danube
07-15-2023, 02:29 AM
Car looks pretty good. But really no better than PNS+sovereign.

I take - it the difference between a top shelf wax and ceramic coating is mostly in durability of the protection, not the way it looks (as if something can look better than 2 layers of 845 .. in my view at least .. :D )

Eric7810
07-15-2023, 06:03 AM
One main difference is that ceramic coating isn’t coming off. You can strip wax relatively easy.

BudgetPlan1
07-15-2023, 06:59 AM
I take - it the difference between a top shelf wax and ceramic coating is mostly in durability of the protection, not the way it looks (as if something can look better than 2 layers of 845 .. in my view at least .. :D )

Coatings = long-term good looks, ease of maintenance, increased protection from environmental & chemical contamination/incidents.

Useful attributes when you’re a lazy guy w a black car that’s a PITA to wash [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

opie
07-15-2023, 10:40 AM
I take - it the difference between a top shelf wax and ceramic coating is mostly in durability of the protection, not the way it looks (as if something can look better than 2 layers of 845 .. in my view at least .. :D )Coating looks way different thatn a wax.

One of my forman at work has asked me mulitple times about how i keep the buick looking so good all the time even when its dirty. He asks if i wash it every day haha. I say nope just once a week. He says hes never seen a black car with paint that good, thats not all swirled out. Mind you this guy used to paint cars when he was younger.

He says "the paint looks so wet, and reflective, is that cuz of that ceramic coating stuff you use?"

I just laugh and say yes, that is part of it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

jdgamble
07-15-2023, 03:23 PM
So I actually fixed part of it I think.

I used some Griots Perfecting Cream on a light polishing pad and ran over one of the problem areas at low speed.

Then I cleaned it up with some prep and reapplied coating. I buffed it off pretty much right when I saw the rainbow effect… so didn’t let it stay on there long at all.

It actually looks better than the adjacent area, which basically means I didn’t do a great job on the bumper. I may do something similar for the rest of the bumper.

Either way, glad I was able to improve the situation.

Out of curiosity, for those who have had to completely remove a coating like PROFI, how much polishing is required? I suspect I did not remove all of the coating. Just curious how much work it would be to remove completely.

Eric7810
07-16-2023, 05:46 AM
I had to repair spots on a customers roof once and I had to use a wool pad on a flex 3401 to get through it.

jdgamble
07-16-2023, 02:29 PM
I had to repair spots on a customers roof once and I had to use a wool pad on a flex 3401 to get through it.

So based on that, I probably just smoothed it out huh? I guess we’ll find out eventually. Haha.