PDA

View Full Version : Swirls/light scratches on odometar clear plastic

Danube
07-07-2023, 07:00 AM
Anyone tried to polish out those on clears, as my ODO has some light marks and scratches that I'd like to polish out.

If so, what compound did you use >!?

Big Dave
07-07-2023, 07:07 AM
I'd probably try a specific plastic polish now, but many years ago, before you could buy such a thing at SCA, I remember using plain white toothpaste with the old fashioned Terry towel, I kid you not. It was on one of my Commodores, probably VL or VN from memory. It worked quite well.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

DUBL0WS6
07-07-2023, 07:52 AM
Plexus plastic polish might work

SNP209
07-07-2023, 09:38 AM
Believe it or not, mother's mags mag and aluminum polish works for this as well :laughing:

How to REMOVE SCRATCHES in Gauge Cluster Lenses....DIY - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hYAR9V5_ng)

More in depth approach using Novus kit:

Polishing Plastic Gauge Lenses | Auto Fanatic - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQjMO09cMlg)

But honestly, any good compound/polish you have on hand should work

PNWSam
07-07-2023, 12:26 PM
Anyone tried to polish out those on clears, as my ODO has some light marks and scratches that I'd like to polish out.

If so, what compound did you use >!?

Meguiars plastx will work. Griots also makes one. Just fyi the gauge cluster has anti glare coating that you will be removing if you do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danube
07-07-2023, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys.

My question is if any compound can be used to achieve this ?

(I've recently polished my lights with M 105 with a great result).

SNP209
07-07-2023, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys.

I'd start with your least aggressive polish and if that doesn't do the trick then work your way up until desired results are achieved.

PNWSam
07-07-2023, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys.

That is just like any paint. Depends on how soft and easily scratched the plastic really is. The mildest polish would be my starting point (like angelwax perfect polish) Paired with the softest finishing pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk