PDA

View Full Version : Best foam gun setup ?? (Not cannon )

wantboost
06-26-2023, 10:06 PM
What's your setup . What gun and or soap do you use

Coatingsarecrack
06-26-2023, 11:19 PM
I have Gilmour foam master. They make 2. I got the original one due to having more brass parts. The 2 version has easier to use dial but more plastic.

I believed Eve the make all thePBMG brand ones.

If I was doing again I would probably try the Adam’s premium foam gun 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill D
06-27-2023, 04:06 AM
I’ve gone through a few classic Gilmours with brass parts. The ideal set up is to have two hoses with a foam gun on each for each side of the car.

opie
06-27-2023, 04:27 AM
I’ve gone through a few classic Gilmours with brass parts. The ideal set up is to have two hoses with a foam gun on each for each side of the car.If i was your neighbor and saw that setup....i would think you were nuts haha.

Dont have foam gun, but if i did it would be gilmour with brass lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Bill D
06-27-2023, 06:37 AM
I wish I did have the two foam gun set up like my friend does. Luckily I wash inside away from neighbors’ prying eyes !

PA DETAILER
06-27-2023, 09:16 AM
I have and use the Gilmour brass. Use it with TWHS Slick & Slide soap.

craigdt
06-27-2023, 10:08 AM
I had one of the orange Gilmour back in the day.

It was okay...
I'd still say, save up some cash, buy you a cheapo pressure washer and a Chinese Chinesium foam cannon, and it will be miles better for foam production

Dr Oldz
06-27-2023, 10:45 PM
Best setup is save and get a PW and cannon.

Bill D
06-28-2023, 04:12 AM
I’m not going to go through the hassle of setting up a PW every time I want to wash. It’s not the volume of foam that interests me, it’s the flowing soapy mix a foam gun affords. If you constantly flow the mix over the point on the paint, you flush away the dirt and have a barrier that guards against marring. In other words, you don’t just foam down the car and start washing, you wash while foaming and yes, you go through a lot of soap. If the car is barely dirty, you might be able to get away with foaming and then rinsing, but the dirtier the car is, the more you’re going to want to foam while washing. This method works for me. I don’t even know where my polishers are any more.

craigdt
06-28-2023, 08:45 AM
I’m not going to go through the hassle of setting up a PW every time I want to wash. It’s not the volume of foam that interests me, it’s the flowing soapy mix a foam gun affords. If you constantly flow the mix over the point on the paint, you flush away the dirt and have a barrier that guards against marring. In other words, you don’t just foam down the car and start washing, you wash while foaming and yes, you go through a lot of soap. If the car is barely dirty, you might be able to get away with foaming and then rinsing, but the dirtier the car is, the more you’re going to want to foam while washing. This method works for me. I don’t even know where my polishers are any more.

The hassle factor is definitely valid.

I think myself and a lot of others have set up their power washer and hose setup to basically eliminate this. I've learned that you don't need some mega expensive Obsessed Garage style setup to do this.

DetailZeus
06-28-2023, 12:59 PM
I'm a power washer guy. I can set up my power washer as fast as it'd take to pull out a hose. Quick disconnects and a higher quality hose make all the difference.

However you cannot to the foam gun + wash mitt technique (wash mitt in one hand foam gun in the other blasting foam as you wipe) with a power washer. Like Bill said you need the soapy flow.

When I was using a foam gun I just used the same shampoo I'd use in my bucket and try to approximate the bucket strength. I never found presoaking with shampoo bucket shampoo to do anything - you need a dedicated pre-wash or strip wash to do that (maybe Reset is an exception)

VISITOR
06-28-2023, 05:44 PM
a foam gun shouldn't be used only to pre-foam, but more as a washing tool. it eliminates two buckets but i still use one to rinse with an occasional blast from the water gun. if you're looking to pre-foam, you would be better off with a foam cannon/pressure washer set up. i'm not a fan of foaming up the whole car (with a foam cannon) then washing it, and only rinsing off at the end. dirt/contamination sits on the finish, you aren't rinsing off the mitt as frequently (potential scratching/marring), and the car wash dries up which can make it harder to rinse off and cause water spotting. i love my foam gun and the only one that i prefer is the gilmour with the brass components and pin/lever bar (5 dilution settings). in the end, everyone has their own method and if it works for you then that's all that matters...

Coatingsarecrack
06-29-2023, 03:24 AM
The hassle factor is definitely valid.

I think myself and a lot of others have set up their power washer and hose setup to basically eliminate this. I've learned that you don't need some mega expensive Obsessed Garage style setup to do this.

Pick of your set up?

Coatingsarecrack
06-29-2023, 03:27 AM
a foam gun shouldn't be used only to pre-foam, but more as a washing tool. it eliminates two buckets but i still use one to rinse with an occasional blast from the water gun. if you're looking to pre-foam, you would be better off with a foam cannon/pressure washer set up. i'm not a fan of foaming up the whole car (with a foam cannon) then washing it, and only rinsing off at the end. dirt/contamination sits on the finish, you aren't rinsing off the mitt as frequently (potential scratching/marring), and the car wash dries up which can make it harder to rinse off and cause water spotting. i love my foam gun and the only one that i prefer is the gilmour with the brass components and pin/lever bar (5 dilution settings). in the end, everyone has their own method and if it works for you then that's all that matters...

If I foam cannon I foam, dwell, rinse. I will still foam a section before grabbing a mitt from bucket. Feel this is most lubricious way to wash. Foam gun and mitt probably a close second for me.