PDA

View Full Version : Any downside to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed?

Bri26
06-01-2023, 01:14 PM
I'm just starting out and want to learn good technique, any downside (other than taking more time) to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed? Along those lines, is it okay to spot treat any bad areas or is it always best practice to redo an entire panel?

Don M
06-01-2023, 01:20 PM
I'm just starting out and want to learn good technique, any downside (other than taking more time) to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed? Along those lines, is it okay to spot treat any bad areas or is it always best practice to redo an entire panel?

The best advice I can give is that you ALWAYS want to start with the LEAST aggressive method(s) FIRST.

That being said, going around the whole car with a light polish IS NOT a bad idea. Depending on the condition of the car, it may be all you need to do to "fix" whatever issues you are looking to get rid of. If it doesn't fix what you're trying to get rid of, then step it up slightly by turning up the polisher to a slightly higher speed, OR use a more aggressive pad (with the same polish). Starting gentle will minimize risks and will help you get a feel for what you're doing.

Setec Astronomy
06-01-2023, 02:19 PM
What Don said, also, it's ok to "spot treat". If you do that, and it looks odd, then you can always do the rest of the panel, but it doesn't usually work out that way.

2black1s
06-01-2023, 02:26 PM
While doing as proposed would not have any negative effect on the vehicle, I see doing so as a complete waste of time and resources. Why would you go around the whole car just to find out that the results do not meet your expectations when you're finished?

Many will recommend a test spot to dial-in your process before proceeding with the entire vehicle. If the test spots meet your expectations, then proceed. If not, alter your process as necessary until they do.

Personally, and typically, I don't do test spots as in the classic 2' by 2' section. What I do is make an assessment of what I think will be necessary, based on experience, to achieve the desired result and then get to it. I'll use my first section, and/or panel, as my test spot. I'll assess the results and make adjustments, if necessary, before proceeding with the entire vehicle.

If there are isolated areas/defects that require additional attention, I'll usually address them first before making my final passes over the entire section and/or panel.

Setec Astronomy
06-01-2023, 02:44 PM
While doing as proposed would not have any negative effect on the vehicle, I see doing so as a complete waste of time and resources.

What I do is make an assessment of what I think will be necessary, based on experience...

For cryin' out loud, the guy's a newb, he has no experience. Let him go around the car with a light polish. Don't you remember the first time you polished a car and how much better it looked even if it still had swirls?

Karl_in_Chicago
06-01-2023, 02:52 PM
While doing as proposed would not have any negative effect on the vehicle, I see doing so as a complete waste of time and resources. Why would you go around the whole car just to find out that the results do not meet your expectations when you're finished?

Many will recommend a test spot to dial-in your process before proceeding with the entire vehicle. If the test spots meet your expectations, then proceed. If not, alter your process as necessary until they do.

Personally, and typically, I don't do test spots as in the classic 2' by 2' section. What I do is make an assessment of what I think will be necessary, based on experience, to achieve the desired result and then get to it. I'll use my first section, and/or panel, as my test spot. I'll assess the results and make adjustments, if necessary, before proceeding with the entire vehicle.

If there are isolated areas/defects that require additional attention, I'll usually address them first before making my final passes over the entire section and/or panel.

On a clear day . . . and a high enough horse . . . one can truly see forever.

PaulMys
06-01-2023, 04:45 PM

No downside whatsoever.

It is probably the best way to get a feel for the machine and your process.

And it's totally ok to "spot treat". :)

2black1s
06-01-2023, 05:37 PM
For cryin' out loud, the guy's a newb, he has no experience. Let him go around the car with a light polish...

All the more reason to do a test spot or panel to see the results before proceeding with the whole thing.

On a clear day . . . and a high enough horse . . . one can truly see forever.

And what exactly is that supposed to mean? That's a rhetorical question only... I know exactly what you meant and if I am correct you couldn't be further from the truth.

My response was intended to help out the new guy. The main point was that it's a good idea to do a test spot or small section to see the results before proceeding with the whole car.

Setec Astronomy
06-01-2023, 06:08 PM
All the more reason to do a test spot or panel to see the results before proceeding with the whole thing.

With all due respect, what makes you think that someone who has never polished a car before is going to be able to properly evaluate a test spot?

To the OP; 2black1s is of course right, people who are experienced at this are usually able to guesstimate what an appropriate process will be, and a test spot will confirm that, and "making the whole car a test spot" is a waste of energy in that circumstance. Maybe you have 20 years of hand polishing experience and are up to date on your polish/compounds, and will know from the first panel you hit if you are getting the results you want.

But my guess is the above isn't true. You haven't specified what condition your vehicle is in and why specifically you want to polish, but if you are a typical new member, your car doesn't look the way you want it, and is in need of some TLC. A couple of tips (this is all presuming you are using a machine, which you haven't stated). You want to do a good wash before polishing, you will probably want to do some sort of decon (fallout remover, clay, clay substitute), mask the trim, or stay away from it with your polisher, unless you are sure your polish won't stain it.

If you are the typical member, you will be delighted at the improvement you've made, you'll have gotten used to handling the machine and process, then you'll start seeing the areas that need more work and you can start taking 2black1s's advice.

PS Perspective is always important. What seems obvious to you may not be obvious from someone else's perspective.

noorth
06-01-2023, 06:29 PM

To me it sounds like a good "plan". Just get the pad on the paint.

Starting with a light polish and pad to get your feet wet sounds like a solid plan frankly. Once you get more comfortable maybe you will want to go after a random swirl with a more aggressive approach.

opie
06-01-2023, 09:03 PM
I'm just starting out and want to learn good technique, any downside (other than taking more time) to polishing the entire car with a light polishing pad, then go more aggressive if needed? Along those lines, is it okay to spot treat any bad areas or is it always best practice to redo an entire panel?No real harm done to paint. Just your time being used.

I do agree with doing your test spot b4 going hog wild. It will help you to build good habbits. One day you will be able to look at the paint and know what combo you need to start with. It just comes with machine time.

Spot treating random deeper scratches and such is a normal method.

If you have not yet done so...i suggest reading and watching the plethora of mike phillips how articles and videos on paint correction and such.

It helped me a lot when i first started. It gave me a base line of proper techiniques(when to prime pad, spreading abrasives out, picking up a bead, arm speed, watching for pad stall if using a free spinning da machine, etc) to start out with and to build/learn off of. Its way better than going in all willy nilly.

I do believe its best to spend the time behind the machine wisely,not only just learning the fundamentals, but also being effective at removing defects to the best of your abilities while learning and building skills nessesary to become better at correcting paint.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Desertnate
06-02-2023, 08:00 AM
Agree on the test spots to save time. Some times you might have to do multiples to figure out the combination that works best. When you hit a troubled spot, step up the aggressiveness for just that area and then move on.

The only danger in going back and dong the whole vehicle more aggressively is if you go too aggressive the second time, you might get hazing which will require you to go back over it AGAIN to get the paint clear and glossy again.

My advice: If you go over the entire car with a light polish, just stop there and leave it. Like someone mentioned earlier, it will look better, even if marring is still there. Use the work as a learning experience and then adjust your approach the next time. You'll get it all "dialed in" after each job and it will look progressively better each time you do the work. It's a journey.

glen e
06-02-2023, 02:26 PM
I agree With Nate, are you going to do it Just because you want to do it , or does it look like the car really needs it?

I use the wife test, before I do something I ask my wife if the car still looks good, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stopped doing something because I realized it was just my Detailing addiction.

I us Meguires, 205 and a medium/soft pad on my car about once a year, Whether it needs it or not. All my cars are brand new so none need any major work. But I find that the light polish once a year eliminates minor abrasions that occur during the year by somebody brushing up against the car with a coat, or people, dragging stuff across the tailgate, it’s more of a “deep clean“, it just adds a bit of clarity so then I don’t have to be meticulous all year long and baby the finish. Some would use clay to do this operation, I hate clay, I’d rather polish.

dlc95
06-03-2023, 12:05 PM
You can even get a polish like 3D ONE or similar. It cand give a basic polish, but still stay wet and effective if you needed to stay on a defect a little longer to further reduce it.

I do this a lot at work where we just need a basic polish on a vehicle, but then encounter something a little deeper. I'm usually using a orange or blue Lake Country HDO CCS when on these projects.

My co worker will use his 3" polisher to spot correct the heavier defects, then finish with the lighter polish he was going to use for the rest of the panel.

Not a bad idea though. Completely reasonable.

Prange
06-03-2023, 07:02 PM
No downside, just time used.