PDA

View Full Version : Hazing with Collinite wax.

Pages : [1] 2 3

PouncingPanzer
05-31-2023, 02:47 PM
I see there are many old threads on such things here, and elsewhere. Mostly about No. 845. About 48 hours after applying wax your entire car is covered in an oily haze. I discovered on my own that the best way to remove is detailing spray and elbow grease. But, I just polished and waxed the entire car...I want a few days break darn it.... But walking out of work and seeing the haze in direct sunlight was a punch in the gut. I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it after getting home. So, I wiped the entire car down again two days in a row. I am mentally prepared to deal with it again tomorrow based on what I've read. I hope the "sweating" stops soon. I suppose this is one negative side effect of jumping off the silica bandwagon, haha. May jump right back on again... That Jescar Ultra Lock Plus is looking pretty good(and forgiving) right now. I suspect that since I used the machine instead of hand applicator this time I used too much. That's my assumption anyways. Last time I used 915(or any other wax of theirs) I applied by hand and never had issues with "sweating".

Saturday morning I hope to wash the car with Touchless and Reset. Aggressive for a waxed car, I know, but I want that sweating to stop. If removing the No. 915 or harming it must happen in the process. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Desertnate
05-31-2023, 03:32 PM
The sweating is almost a sure sign it was applied too heavy.

I always applied it with a machine, but actually found it helped me apply it a lot more evenly and thinner. By hand I always got it too thick. Even with a machine, I'd still mess it up in a few areas.

I don't remember ever having the entire vehicle haze up, but in the summer it wasn't uncommon for me to be chasing the hazy patches for a couple weeks. A quick, light, QD wipe of the area or a hand wash normally removed the hazing.

845 is the only wax/sealant I've ever used that would sweat. To be honest I jumped from it straight to coatings many years ago and never looked back. I have used an SiO2 sealant a couple times in special circumstances and liked it, though not enough for me to leave coatings.

I used 845 for a several years and the bottle is still in my cabinet. It's kind of like a childhood ex-girlfriend. You see it and recall some good memories, but then you also remember why they are your ex and not the person you ended up marrying.

Flash Gordon
05-31-2023, 03:33 PM
Your going to Touchless as in Touchless car wash?

Sounds like you applied too thick. You could wash the car using only water to remove the haze. I also wouldn't apply an topped for at least a couple of months

PouncingPanzer
05-31-2023, 04:04 PM

Sounds like you applied too thick. You could wash the car using only water to remove the haze. I also wouldn't apply an topped for at least a couple of monthsBilt Hamber Touchless*

Yea I plan to let it do it's thing for awhile before topping.

PouncingPanzer
05-31-2023, 04:05 PM
The sweating is almost a sure sign it was applied too heavy.

I always applied it with a machine, but actually found it helped me apply it a lot more evenly and thinner. By hand I always got it too thick. Even with a machine, I'd still mess it up in a few areas.

I don't remember ever having the entire vehicle haze up, but in the summer it wasn't uncommon for me to be chasing the hazy patches for a couple weeks. A quick, light, QD wipe of the area or a hand wash normally removed the hazing.

845 is the only wax/sealant I've ever used that would sweat. To be honest I jumped from it straight to coatings many years ago and never looked back. I have used an SiO2 sealant a couple times in special circumstances and liked it, though not enough for me to leave coatings.

I used 845 for a several years and the bottle is still in my cabinet. It's kind of like a childhood ex-girlfriend. You see it and recall some good memories, but then you also remember why they are your ex and not the person you ended up marrying.It was hot out and wax was much softer than usual, contributing to the heavy application.

PaulMys
05-31-2023, 04:31 PM
Agreed about applying it too heavily.

But another huge factor in applying 845 successfully is letting it completely dry to a haze.

I'm not sure where some of the myths about 845 started, but I remember one being something like: "It is very hard to remove if left on too long."

That is true with 476s paste, but not at all true of 845. I will actually apply it (super thin) to my entire truck, wait up to an hour, and then remove it.

Funny story about that...... On I think my second time using 845, I got up early in the morning and did a "marathon detail". Wash, clay, polish, trim, wheels, tires, and wax. (I don't do that anymore.... Lol)

But I was running out of daylight as I was removing the 845, and completely missed my entire tailgate.

When I noticed it the next morning, I was horrified! After reading all of the [mis]information about 845, I was sure I'd need nothing short of a jackhammer to get this stuff off.

Armed with many towels and some QD, I went out prepared for a fight. Long story short..... It took ONE towel and about ONE minute to remove it. I was happily shocked. :)

MisterSnoop
05-31-2023, 06:25 PM
It was hot out and wax was much softer than usual, contributing to the heavy application.

I thought many ppl would actually heat it up to liquefy it before using.

Danube
05-31-2023, 06:34 PM
It's unbelievable how little of 845 is needed to wax an entire vehicle.

Next time I'll put the 845 bottle on a scale, before & after and provide that information.

Flash Gordon
05-31-2023, 06:39 PM

Sounds like you applied too thick. You could wash the car using only water to remove the haze. I also wouldn't apply an topped for at least a couple of months

*Any topper

**I hate the fire tablet

Flash Gordon
05-31-2023, 06:41 PM
Bilt Hamber Touchless*

Yea I plan to let it do it's thing for awhile before topping.

Ah, good. Was about to give you a cyber backhand

PaulMys
05-31-2023, 06:42 PM
*Any topper

**I hate the fire tablet

Damn thing couldn't even default to "topless" (.) (.)

PouncingPanzer
05-31-2023, 06:55 PM
I thought many ppl would actually heat it up to liquefy it before using.This was 915 in the blue can. It us usually a hard paste wax that doesn't transfer much unless you press hard. At around 87° in the garage the wax was quite soft.

PaulMys
05-31-2023, 07:08 PM
This was 915 in the blue can. It us usually a hard paste wax that doesn't transfer much unless you press hard. At around 87° in the garage the wax was quite soft.

Ahhhhh...... I think I misunderstood your OP.

The 915 and 476 application process is the exact same thing.

DON'T get it soft. DON'T press hard to transfer.

If you "caked" some 915 on pad, you might just be able to coat half of the Space Shuttle. Lol.

Using a machine to apply any Collinite "canned" products is a chore. Get a butter knife and LIGHTLY coat the outer ring of the pad, and put a TINY dab in the center.

You are now ready to wax an entire hood of a car. Maybe even the adjacent fenders. ;)

MisterSnoop
05-31-2023, 08:09 PM
This was 915 in the blue can. It us usually a hard paste wax that doesn't transfer much unless you press hard. At around 87° in the garage the wax was quite soft.

Sent from my SM-S911U using TapatalkI thought you were talking about 845. I haven't used 915.

PouncingPanzer
06-01-2023, 03:40 AM
More spotty hazing this morning. I know the last two days I've been using ONR and edgeless towels to buff it off, but what do you guys think of trying Eraser? I feel it would be perfect for such a thing considering it's intended purpose.