PDA

View Full Version : New car care

wesleyforbes
04-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey it's the newbie again! I have a question pertaining to taking care of a new vehicle. My father-in-law just got a new 2008 Silverado with all the bells and whistles so I was wondering what the best way is to take care of it.

I know that with my cars I will have to do a lot of work to "renew" the paint in order to get it to look its best. With a new car the paint is already new and there are little to no swirl marks to speak of. I'm thinking that just washing it with a good car wash (Pinnacle bodywash) and washing mitt (to ensure to not get swirl marks) and then applying a good wax (etc. Pinnacle Liquid Souvren) in order to protect what is already there.

Am I on the right track? I wouldn't think that I would need to clay and polish?

the newbie,
Wesley

94LT1
04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey it's the newbie again! I have a question pertaining to taking care of a new vehicle. My father-in-law just got a new 2008 Silverado with all the bells and whistles so I was wondering what the best way is to take care of it.

I know that with my cars I will have to do a lot of work to "renew" the paint in order to get it to look its best. With a new car the paint is already new and there are little to no swirl marks to speak of. I'm thinking that just washing it with a good car wash (Pinnacle bodywash) and washing mitt (to ensure to not get swirl marks) and then applying a good wax (etc. Pinnacle Liquid Souvren) in order to protect what is already there.

Am I on the right track? I wouldn't think that I would need to clay and polish?

the newbie,
Wesley
you would b surprised how bad some new cars can be.dont just assume because its new that the paint is in great shape.to tell if it needs to b clayed use the sandwhich bag method.if there isnt any swirls then i wouldnt used polish. Souveran is a great wax, how ever its lifespan isnt the greatest.wat i would suggest is a sealant like wolfgang deep gloss sealant.then after ur next wash then put down some souveran.thats just my $.02

wesleyforbes
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the response, I will use the sandwich bag technique to see if it is smooth and if not, clay it and then either use sealant or wax or both.

94LT1
04-28-2008, 07:12 PM
well if u want a long lasting finish use sealant.then let it sit for a day or 2 then wash and apply ur favorite wax.

wesleyforbes
04-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks!

Jimmie
04-29-2008, 12:23 PM
you would b surprised how bad some new cars can be.dont just assume because its new that the paint is in great shape.to tell if it needs to b clayed use the sandwhich bag method.if there isnt any swirls then i wouldnt used polish. Souveran is a great wax, how ever its lifespan isnt the greatest.wat i would suggest is a sealant like wolfgang deep gloss sealant.then after ur next wash then put down some souveran.thats just my $.02

:iagree: some new ones will just fill your clay.

Themightytimmah
04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I find that I end up claying and polishing pretty much every new car I get my hands on. My friend's Highlander was pretty close to swirl free when he got it, but a quick couple of passes with Ultrafina brought the gloss up even higher. Plus I had to get pretty aggressive with the clay and it left some slight marring.

makdaddy626
04-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I agree with everyone about "new" paint usually needing some work and will second the opinion to consider a sealant rather than a beauty wax for this... I take care of most of my family (and family-in-law's) cars but don't have the time (or access) to do a weekly wash and monthly or even bi-monthly wax on them. I keep Souveran around for my own vehicles and for special occasions, but generally when doing a family members vehicle they get a sealant (DG 601 + 105) for the longevity.