PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and Protecting Polycarbonate

kestrel452
05-20-2023, 12:15 PM
Hello all. I have a question about how to clean and protect sensitive plastics. I have a restored vintage emergency light, a Federal Sign and Signal Model 17 Beacon Ray. It is comprised of a chrome "skirt", and a transparent polycarbonate dome lens. I have seen domes that have a pretty good amount of swirl marks from improper cleaning, leading to a pretty bad hologram effect.

I figure I need some kind of ceramic-based sealant to protect it. UV will, of course, damage and discolor the entire thing. And I've seen dust and dirt impregnate themselves into the polycarbonate. I definitely also need a high-lubricity detail/WW spray that I can use to clean it before spray waxing, and also in between to get the dust off as-needed. What products do you recommend? Griot's Ceramic 3-in-1 seems like a good choice as a sealant (I use it all the time for cars and boats), but I am stumped as to what detail spray would work well, and be compatible. I've noticed that most people have switched from detail sprays to waterless washes, but my hunch is that something thinner / faster flashing is better, because the less manual toweling down of that soft plastic dome, the better. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!