PDA

View Full Version : Been Offered A Chance To Make Money

LostInTransit
05-18-2023, 06:16 AM
So, because of how I'm taking care of the van, I've had others ask that I take care of their cars also. The trouble is I'm not sure if I want to commit to doing this as I have a bad back and hip issues. let alone a shoulder that keeps dislocating. But the wife thinks I can handle this.

Here's what I'm asked to do.

remove rotate tires and clean them
clean the struts/shocks and caliper
clean the wheels wells

Very similar to what I've done here: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-and-techniques/132257-current-status-connect.html#post1773048 but the car is older and hasn't been well maintained. I've already clean the wheels once while still on the car. I'm looking to purchase a rolling stool to help with this. But if I decide to do this.. what should I charge as this would take anywhere from 3-4 hours

Eldorado2k
05-18-2023, 06:57 AM
Do you have 1 of those mini lifts? Or whatever they’re called? I’d think that would make a world of difference and also cut back the time dramatically.

Silly Rabbit
05-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Agree, something like a QuickJack. Quick and easy to lift the vehicle.

Rsurfer
05-18-2023, 06:45 PM
The most strenuous part of a vehicle to clean with a bad back/hip/shoulder. Especially removing the tires and installing them. Unless you need the money why risk it. This coming from someone with a bad back.

DanaDetailingPros
05-18-2023, 11:28 PM
and this is why forums fail..

I'm lost. Anyway I hear the bad shoulder. Mine is the same for 80% of my life and it's incredibly painful. My knees are shot also. If you have a quick jack then i would in a heartbeat and charge $50 a wheel.

LostInTransit
05-19-2023, 06:10 AM
Everyone except one member here has proven it might not be a good idea that I risk doing something like this in the knowing I could get hurt and even though we have good insurance, I just can't afford to risk another back injury right now. So money isn't everything.

LostInTransit
05-30-2023, 11:53 AM
So here's what happen when I spoke with those whom wanted me to clean there wheels and wheel wells etc.. they agree that this would be too risky for me having back and shoulder issues, However, they asked if I could clean and detail their engine bay. Less risk and still getting paid.. Plus did this over the weekend to our van.

Granted 3 year old engine hasn't gotten extremely dirty..

Rsurfer
05-30-2023, 12:36 PM
So here's what happen when I spoke with those whom wanted me to clean there wheels and wheel wells etc.. they agree that this would be too risky for me having back and shoulder issues, However, they asked if I could clean and detail their engine bay. Less risk and still getting paid.. Plus did this over the weekend to our van.

Granted 3 year old engine hasn't gotten extremely dirty..

Cleaning an engine bay by bending over and reaching is not a good thing either.

LostInTransit
06-02-2023, 05:39 AM
After much thought and doing our own van last weekend, I was able to take my times and clean with the spray and a larger painters brush. cleaning the engine bay would simpler than having to remove wheels for sure. So I'm willing to give the engine cleaning a shot. Already have one lined up in a few weeks. However, with limited space, they would have to supply the electricity for the vac and the water for my hose to wash off the product afterwards. I'll be working on a 2002 Acura TL. Seems the fellow did his own oil change but forgot to tighten the oil cap thus spewing a small amount of oil all over the engine bay.