PDA

View Full Version : Graphene and Ceramic wording in every application?

Pages : [1] 2 3

DanaDetailingPros
05-16-2023, 02:10 AM
Seems like allot of the new products coming out are claiming they have Graphene and Ceramic in them. Graphene Ceramic interior. Graphene tire. an so on
It's starting to cheapen the idea.

Big Dave
05-16-2023, 03:28 AM
Even the cheapest brands, the auto store own brands, are now doing this. We have an auto chain here called Repco, their car care brand is Eclipse, and they've got ceramic this and graphene that, even a foam that has its own hose attachment so you don't need a foam cannon or pressure washer. And all the packaging strongly resembles Gyeon.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Tasmania
05-16-2023, 04:06 AM
Even the cheapest brands, the auto store own brands, are now doing this. We have an auto chain here called Repco, their car care brand is Eclipse, and they've got ceramic this and graphene that, even a foam that has its own hose attachment so you don't need a foam cannon or pressure washer. And all the packaging strongly resembles Gyeon.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

You seen Eclipse tyre dressing review on YT and other stuff look's like they are trying to keep up to Bogans Own.....I mean Bowdens Own

:p:p:p:kiss:

opie
05-16-2023, 04:11 AM
Ive noticed this for a year or two now. All just buzz words. It makes me not even entertain the idea of purchase said products.

For a consumer that is not "in the know" i cant imagine how confusing/difficult it must make it to choose a product, and pick the real vs fake.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Coatingsarecrack
05-16-2023, 04:28 AM
Yeah I got into a debate with a dude on another car forum about turtle wax spray coating not being a real coating.

His argument was Turtle Wax wouldn’t call it a coating if it wasn’t [emoji2357]

Tried to explain that yea technically it can be called a coating…. You could call wax a coating because you are coating your paint with it.

I should have known better….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFB
05-16-2023, 04:52 AM
Yeah I got into a debate with a dude on another car forum about turtle wax spray coating not being a real coating.

His argument was Turtle Wax wouldn’t call it a coating if it wasn’t [emoji2357]

Tried to explain that yea technically it can be called a coating…. You could call wax a coating because you are coating your paint with it.

I should have known better….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a very literal person, so those arguments get up my nose too.

Clueless - "Oh, I ceramic coated my car on Sunday afternoon".................

Me - "nice one, looks great! What coating did you use?".........................

Clueless - "Meguiar's hybrid ceramic"...........

Me - "nice product, but yeah, that's not a ceramic coating mate".

Clueless - "yes it is, says so on the bottle".................

Me - "if you say so mate"...........

Or words to this effect.

opie
05-16-2023, 05:21 AM
I'm a very literal person, so those arguments get up my nose too.

Clueless - "Oh, I ceramic coated my car on Sunday afternoon".................

Me - "nice one, looks great! What coating did you use?".........................

Clueless - "Meguiar's hybrid ceramic"...........

Me - "nice product, but yeah, that's not a ceramic coating mate".

Clueless - "yes it is, says so on the bottle".................

Me - "if you say so mate"...........

Or words to this effect.Met a guy one time who is a detailer, he lost any and all credibility when he told me that can coat evo was more of a sealant.

BudgetPlan1
05-16-2023, 06:05 AM
Wax your car, ceramic coat it and apply Rain-X all in under 2 minutes. Work smarter, not harder.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230516/fab17f5d625203e2193d6adbf4e5b780.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DFB
05-16-2023, 06:08 AM
Met a guy one time who is a detailer, he lost any and all credibility when he told me that can coat evo was more of a sealant.

I could alllllmost see where he is coming from but Can Coat is more substantial than that. The strong solventy odor is way more ceramic than sealant.

I had a professional detailer slag off at Can Coat, saying that it's not a coating and never will be. This person applies Modesta coatings for a living, a brand not known for easy to apply coatings. So, I guess he was justifying his job and abilities.

In any case, I don't think Gyeon intended Can Coat to be seen a full-scale coating, and I don't think anyone here sees it that way either. But it does perform like one and does outperform any polymer or spray sealant.

MidnightNarwhal
05-16-2023, 08:43 AM
Graphene is mainly used in coatings these days to reduce water spotting IIRC. I agree it's a bit of a marketing thing if it says graphene for interior products but on the exterior it 100% makes sense. But yeah they make sure to use the word to as a way to advertise it and make it seem special.

PouncingPanzer
05-16-2023, 10:36 AM
Introducing the future of car care technology!

Depleted Uranium Wax Sealant Coating with a Rockwell hardness of Infinity +1!!!!!

392hemi
05-16-2023, 10:43 AM
I've seen tunnel car washes now advertise ceramic "coat"

Eldorado2k
05-16-2023, 11:04 AM
McKee’s has:
-Graphene Coating
-Graphene Pro Coating
-Graphene Hydro coating
-Graphene Coating wax
-Graphene Sealant
-Graphene Polish
-Graphene Car Wash Shampoo
-Graphene Waterless Wash
-Graphene Rinseless wash
-Graphene Detail Spray
-Graphene Interior Protectant
-Graphene Tire Shine
-Graphene Glass Cleaner.

I’m surprised they don’t have Graphene Leather Wipes. Lol.
Or what about Graphene Metal Polish?
No Graphene Air Freshener?[emoji2962]

What does Graphene Glass Cleaner even do?[emoji848]

Desertnate
05-16-2023, 11:09 AM
Seems like allot of the new products coming out are claiming they have Graphene and Ceramic in them. Graphene Ceramic interior. Graphene tire. an so on
It's starting to cheapen the idea.

I think it all depends on the product and whether adding a ceramic or graphene ingredient it actually improves it. It does seem to be popping up all over the place, but I don't think I'm quite ready to say it "cheapens" a product because it might actually improve performance.

When I first started seeing "ceramic" or "SiO2" showing up as being added to sealants I was a little incredulous since I was deep into using high-solids coatings, and still am. However, I was given a bottle of Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant to try out. When testing that product I noticed the water behavior was very like, if not identical, to coatings I was using for most of it's life. I also noticed that sealant lasted at least a month or two longer than any other sealant I tried out. In this instance the ceramic addition to the product seems to actually provided some benefit you might not be able to get without it.

You almost have to evaluate each product on it's own. In some, the ceramic addition will actually improve durability, chemical resistance, and water repellency. Others it may not do anything because there isn't any actual ceramic ingredient added, or it's such a tiny amount it does nothing.

Graphene, from what I've seen and heard, really doesn't add any benefit at all. I've got a bottle of Adams graphene quick detailer and it's pretty underwhelming...nothing magical going on.

Coating? Ugh...don't get me started on how that's morphed from the high-solids products in the small bottles which actually do something to simply being a catchphrase you see on every product under the sun. Marketing is really out of hand on this one.

opie
05-16-2023, 01:05 PM
I could alllllmost see where he is coming from but Can Coat is more substantial than that. The strong solventy odor is way more ceramic than sealant.

I had a professional detailer slag off at Can Coat, saying that it's not a coating and never will be. This person applies Modesta coatings for a living, a brand not known for easy to apply coatings. So, I guess he was justifying his job and abilities.

In any case, I don't think Gyeon intended Can Coat to be seen a full-scale coating, and I don't think anyone here sees it that way either. But it does perform like one and does outperform any polymer or spray sealant.Its a coating lite in my eyes, and yes far better than sealants