PDA

View Full Version : wet/dry sanding

DanaDetailingPros
05-14-2023, 03:04 PM
One thing Mike said on one of his recent sanding videos was, that sanding was for single stage paint only. And if you sand any new production cars it would just kill the clear coat. Then I see a ton of videos where they are demonstrating dry and wet sanding on new cars with great success.
I posted this on Autofordge.

BudgetPlan1
05-14-2023, 06:52 PM
Then I see a ton of videos where they are demonstrating dry and wet sanding on new cars with great success.

I would be curious to know how that short-term great success plays out as time goes on. Isn’t one of the primary jobs of the clearcoat is UV protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DanaDetailingPros
05-14-2023, 08:09 PM
I would be curious to know how that short-term great success plays out as time goes on. Isn’t one of the primary jobs of the clearcoat is UV protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought that same thing! I would guess that's the time to use a good LSP or coating. Still curious as well and like you said time will tell.

2black1s
05-15-2023, 12:41 AM
Just for clarification...

As far as I am aware, Mike never said that you can't, or shouldn't, sand clear coats; or that sanding is only for single stage paints. What I have heard him say is that sanding "factory" clear coats is not the best idea, and sanding should be reserved for repaints, single-stage or base coat/clear coat, that will typically have a paint film thickness greater than that of a factory finish.

DanaDetailingPros
05-15-2023, 12:55 AM
I tried to find the film. I gave up! To Many. About a month back.

DanaDetailingPros
05-15-2023, 12:57 AM
Just for clarification...

As far as I am aware, Mike never said that you can't, or shouldn't, sand clear coats; or that sanding is only for single stage paints. What I have heard him say is that sanding "factory" clear coats is not the best idea, and sanding should be reserved for repaints, single-stage or base coat/clear coat, that will typically have a paint film thickness greater than that of a factory finish.

Not those words yes. But you described it perfectly.

DUBL0WS6
05-15-2023, 09:26 PM
Sanding factory clearcoats is a bad idea. The uv protection is in the top of the thin clear. So while you can get away with it the chances are that eventually the clear will fail.

A repaint with multiple coats of clear is a different story. They often get wetsanded with 2500 and 3000 and then buffed.

2black1s
05-16-2023, 01:08 AM
Sanding factory clearcoats is a bad idea. The uv protection is in the top of the thin clear. So while you can get away with it the chances are that eventually the clear will fail...

I've seen or heard this claim more than once and I just don't believe it. Do you have any technical or scientific information to support this claim?

Here's what I believe...

When the clear coat is applied, factory or otherwise, it is a homogenous mixture. Therefore, any UV protection properties of the clear coat will be present throughout the clear coat film thickness. If you sand off 25% of the clear coat film thickness, then you have reduced its UV protection properties by 25%. Sanding off 50% will result in a 50% reduction of the UV protection, and so on...

My comments are based completely on my own logic. I don't have any technical or scientific proof, but I would have to see such that states otherwise to change my perspective.

98CayenneTA
05-16-2023, 01:36 AM
I've seen or heard this claim more than once and I just don't believe it. Do you have any technical or scientific information to support this claim?

Here's what I believe...

When the clear coat is applied, factory or otherwise, it is a homogenous mixture. Therefore, any UV protection properties of the clear coat will be present throughout the clear coat film thickness. If you sand off 25% of the clear coat film thickness, then you have reduced its UV protection properties by 25%. Sanding off 50% will result in a 50% reduction of the UV protection, and so on...

My comments are based completely on my own logic. I don't have any technical or scientific proof, but I would have to see such that states otherwise to change my perspective.

I second this statement

opie
05-16-2023, 04:15 AM
I trust the word from the painter. That makes sense to me

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

DUBL0WS6
05-16-2023, 01:07 PM

Here's what I believe...

I'm not a chemist so I don't know for sure. I guess it would depend on molecular weight of individual components in the clear, the heavier solids would most likely settle to the bottom.

2black1s
05-16-2023, 04:03 PM
I'm not a chemist so I don't know for sure. I guess it would depend on molecular weight of individual components in the clear, the heavier solids would most likely settle to the bottom.

If that were the case, then the finish of every panel would have a different final composition than the next based upon its orientation during painting, i.e., horizontal panels vs. vertical panels and everything in between. Additionally, it is my opinion that the viscosity of the clear coat is high enough that the mixture will remain homogenous throughout the drying/curing process.

Again, this is all predicated on my own sense of logic, and my painting experience... I'm not a chemist either.

DUBL0WS6
05-16-2023, 07:09 PM
My thought is that we know that the solvents outgas from the paint. In other words, trapped solvent migrates to the surface. Does UV protection do the same thing?

I'm sure someone knows the answer for sure but not sure those people actually view these forums on a regular basis.

2black1s
05-16-2023, 08:55 PM
My thought is that we know that the solvents outgas from the paint. In other words, trapped solvent migrates to the surface. Does UV protection do the same thing?

I'm sure someone knows the answer for sure but not sure those people actually view these forums on a regular basis.

Interesting theory. :xyxthumbs:

Looks like some research is in order...