PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY! I got to use the One and Done Compound and my new Lake Country pads - pics

Pages : [1] 2

Don M
05-13-2023, 02:39 PM
After buying both of them LAST SUMMER, I finally had an opportunity to use them this morning at around "Oh-Hell-No-Thirty," after a bad night's sleep.

Since I couldn't sleep, and my Niece's KIA Soul was "prisoner" in my garage, I figured I'd give it it's first ever polish and wax. My wife and niece were away visiting and my niece had an appointment to get an oil change at her dealership (don't get me started). Since she was gone, she asked me (Uncle Car Guy). if I would take it in. Seeing an opportunity for a "Sneak Attack" detail, I agreed.

I did all the "heavy cleaning" yesterday. It took me over two hours to clean the rims and tires, all four door jams. under the gas door and the hatchback, as well as taking a detailing brush and car wash soap to "pre-wash" all the areas my mitt wouldn't reach. By then it was time for the appointment, and of course, the dealership gave it a "complimentary" wash (Yes, I know). But they actually didn't do a BAD job, but it wasn't a GOOD job either. BUT, it DID save me from having to wash it, and it was only a short drive back to my house - so all the water was blown from the hiding spots, and there was just a LITTLE dust from the drive, easy enough for the Turtle Wax 3 in 1 Quick Detailer to handle. 20 minutes later, it was ready to polish, but I was done.

Fast forward to "WHAT time is it?!" And since my wife and niece decided to make a night of it, there was no one stopping me from going out to the garage and firing up the PC.

I'll start with the pads. They are AT LEAST twice as thick as the Meguiar's thin pads I had been using, but to my surprise, the PC stalled SIGNIFICANTLY less with the Lake Country pads, and the thickness of the pads absorbed A LOT of vibration and the polisher ran a lot smoother, and they worked the compound excellently, especially once the pads had absorbed a bit of compound, it seem like they were now 'primed' and worked even better.

Onto the compound. I had watched a lot videos on the Turtle Wax One and Done Compound. The videos I saw, they all liked the performance of the compound, but a lot of them said that removal was So-So at best. *I* didn't find this to be true. What I did discover was that the only time I even started to have issues with removal, it was because of something I did and not a fault of the compound, and it was one of two things: Either I didn't work the polish in well enough in a certain area and it was still 'too thick' there, OR my removal towel was becoming loaded up and wasn't pulling the residue off the paint. Otherwise, it was wipe, flip the towel and buff ... done. One of the pictures I'm posting is of the hood, after using the One and Done, and the finish is awesome after about 10 minutes of going over the hood. The second pic is after total completion, right before delivery and about 20 seconds before the rain started.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MHqvCbN/no-wax.jpg (https://postimg.cc/2qT6WpP4)

https://i.postimg.cc/FFJByZkr/Kia.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Bt4ps2Ck)

DUBL0WS6
05-13-2023, 03:32 PM
Looks good

noorth
05-13-2023, 03:53 PM
I prefer the slightly thicker lake country pads too over thin pads.

Brrr
05-13-2023, 04:21 PM
Looks really good, Don. I did a test with my G9 on my dads really bad Cherokee hood. 3 different compound, 3 different pads. I cannot distinguish between which compounds and pads I used looking at the hood.

Next time you have a bad nights sleep, come on over. I have 4 vehicles that need the whole treatment done and I can’t seem to find the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

PA DETAILER
05-13-2023, 04:40 PM
Nice blue. Looks good.

SNP209
05-13-2023, 07:06 PM
One and Done is some phenomenal stuff. You can cover A LOT of ground from cut to finish with that product alone, just need to have a variety of pads and you're good to go. I've never had any trouble with wipeoff, I use 3 pea size drops initially then reload with 2 pea size drops when needed.

Recently a buddy of mine said he was having trouble with dusting while using Meguiar's M110 and asked what I recommended. I first brought him a bottle of 3D One to test out and he really liked it. Then he asked "Is this what you use?" I told him I actually use a turtle wax product and he could not comprehend how a turtle wax product could possibly compete with a Meguiar's mirror glaze product. So we had a mini shootout. We scuffed up a scrap door with 1500 grit sanding marks and used 3M finesse it wool pads on a Milwaukee "pistol" polisher (rotary action). The One and Done managed to remove all the scratches and finish down very well. 3D One still left some sanding marks behind but the finish was nice and glossy. Meguiar's M110 performed on par with 3D One but left behind holograms that were visible to the naked eye. He immediately ordered 2 bottles of One and Done that very second.

PaulMys
05-13-2023, 08:12 PM
I prefer the slightly thicker lake country pads too over thin pads.

Count me as a fan of the thicker (7/8" thick) pads as well.

Besides preforming better on convex curves (on non-forced rotation units), I also find that they run a lot cooler.

bill walsh
05-13-2023, 10:46 PM
very nice job Don

noorth
05-14-2023, 12:29 AM
Count me as a fan of the thicker (7/8" thick) pads as well.

Besides preforming better on convex curves (on non-forced rotation units), I also find that they run a lot cooler.

I really like CCS too. I have a new orange shinemate diamond pad that i have yet to try. It looks much easier to clean than the CCS pads.

The foam itself is slightly different in color but it will do the same job has the lake country pad, i'm pretty sure.

I read awhile ago, that probably doesn't surprised anyone, that there are only a few major manufactures of the base material of foam pads...

Don M
05-14-2023, 04:55 AM
One and Done is some phenomenal stuff. You can cover A LOT of ground from cut to finish with that product alone, just need to have a variety of pads and you're good to go. I've never had any trouble with wipeoff, I use 3 pea size drops initially then reload with 2 pea size drops when needed.

That's what I noticed as well, the longer I went, the LESS I had to add to the pad to continue. I used the Lake Country orange (light cutting) pad, and even only working the compound for 5 - 10 minutes per panel (depending on the size of the panel), the cut and finish were excellent.

Slick-Rides
05-14-2023, 09:01 PM
Did you use the SDO flat orange pads?

p.s. I'm in Lorain, about 30min west of Cleveland. :xyxthumbs:

Don M
05-15-2023, 01:42 AM
Did you use the SDO flat orange pads?

p.s. I'm in Lorain, about 30min west of Cleveland. :xyxthumbs:

I ordered them almost a year ago, and I don't remember exactly which ones they are. They are about 7/8" thick and have a completely smooth face. They are the orange 'light cutting' pads.

PaulMys
05-15-2023, 05:52 PM
^^^It really sucks that we have to look at these garbage SPAM posts^^^

I have reported every one of them, and no Admin action. That tells me something.............

noorth
05-15-2023, 06:00 PM
What does it tell you?

PaulMys
05-15-2023, 06:07 PM
What does it tell you?

I'M ASKING THE FU*KING QUESTIONS AROUND HERE, BOY!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

It tells me that the new owners of AutoGeek don't give a rat's ass-pipe about this forum, and will let it die off if it means losing half a Nickel of profit for their shareholders.......