PDA

View Full Version : Need leather help for a friend

Don M
05-08-2023, 05:53 AM
Most of you know I run a detailing Facebook Page. I recently received a question regarding a 1979 Camaro, with leather seats. I also noticed the questioner posted the same thing on another detailing page and received THIS answer:

"Don’t think too hard about it. Leather is leather. You can use mothers LVR or you can use leather honey cleaner followed by leather honey conditioner (just make sure to wipe off the conditioner after or it will stain clothing)
I work on cars estimated 100k - 10million and I use these products all day. Remember, you are the detail expert, go with your gut."

On MY page, I immediately shot this response down to the questioner, explaining what LVR meant - "leather / VINYL / RUBBER." Letting them know that on 44+ year old leather, use of such a product is NOT a good idea, since we have no idea what KIND of leather is in the car and that serious damage could be done to leather that old. I also responded to the individual who MADE the post on the other site, basically calling them out for giving such bad advice. In three days, I have not heard back from that poster.

My final word of advice was for the questioner to contact an Automotive Leather Repair shop, tell them what the questioner is working on and follow the repair shop's advice.

Was I wrong? The leather in question is still fairly soft, with no or minimal 'cracking.' The color IS faded a bit and it IS very soiled. Since I don't 'do' leather very often at all, is the reason I suggested a specialized repair shop for answers.

I'm curious as to THIS forum's thoughts on the subject. (IMHO, the poster "Bragging" about detailing "multi-million dollar cars everyday," was a huge Red Flag).

Klasse Act
05-08-2023, 05:56 AM
I didn't know a 79' Z-28 came with leather unless it was done afterwards [emoji848]

I'd look into the new Geist kit for older leather, Colour Lock has a kit for older leather too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
05-08-2023, 07:22 AM
I "assumed" it was a Z, is it a Berlinetta[emoji848]

Don M
05-08-2023, 12:34 PM
I "assumed" it was a Z, is it a Berlinetta[emoji848]

I didn't ask, and it's difficult to tell from a picture showing the interior through a window :laughing:

DUBL0WS6
05-08-2023, 10:35 PM
I doubt that 40 year old leather would be soft. I suspect it's a type of vinyl. But the advice of using Leather Honey on real leather is a good one. There are some other good choices as well.

Coatingsarecrack
05-09-2023, 12:59 AM
Yeah leather honey is mild cleaner and was recommended for aniline which is porous and unprotected.

I use their cleaner and it is nice stuff. Follow with damp microfiber to be safe. Leather homey conditioner should be fine

Geist and ColorLock kits would be great but what I get if my chevelle had original interior is Leather Masters

Soft Cleaner
Leather Vital
Leather Protection Cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk