PDA

View Full Version : Wheel coating recommendations for my situation

kantonburg
04-22-2023, 12:58 PM
For the past 4 or 5 days I think I've read every wheel coating thread on here. So forgive me for asking another. We just ordered a 2023 Honda Civic Sport Crystal Black with Black 18" Alloy wheels. When it comes in I want to coat the wheels. The paint is for another time. I've watched a bunch of The Guz's videos and read his reviews on here and Autopia.

This thread was a good one.
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/125312-wheel-coating-water-behavior-discussion.html?highlight=wheel

Now to my situation. I'll only be coating the face of the wheels. My wife and I drive 100 miles a day. 50 each way on the interstate.
Since they're new my process would be
Wash
Decon with an iron remover
Would clay be necessary here?
Prep with Panel Wipe or Eraser
Coat

I know Guz recommends CarPro DLUX for the price. Since this is my first time coating I'd like something a little more forgiving. The thread above is from 2019 and he's since used Adams Graphene on wheels. It's more expensive than DLUX or C5, but has anyone else used it and how does it hold up to heat? It says for wheels, but they all will say anything to sell it.

Also since I'm coating the face would a product like Geyon Wet Coat be ok to use to spray behind on the barrels and calipers and would it hurt if it was sprayed on the already coated face?

Thanks for everyone's help

Klasse Act
04-22-2023, 01:03 PM
Gyeon Wet Coat is a MUST for maintence after the coating. Based off of 100 miles a day, I'd say once a month would be the minimum.

There's other products like Gyeon Wet Coat, like 303 Touchless Sealant and their new product which would work instead of a true wheel coating if cleaned/ maintained/boosted on a monthly basis IMO.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

kantonburg
04-22-2023, 04:53 PM
Gyeon Wet Coat is a MUST for maintence after the coating. Based off of 100 miles a day, I'd say once a month would be the minimum.

There's other products like Gyeon Wet Coat, like 303 Touchless Sealant and their new product which would work instead of a true wheel coating if cleaned/ maintained/boosted on a monthly basis IMO.

Thanks for the reply.

One thing I forgot to mention is I'll have to coat the wheels outside. I don't have a garage. Any tips for outside wheel coating? Could I a thin plastic just to cover them for 24 hours as long as it doesn't touch the wheels?

Klasse Act
04-22-2023, 05:01 PM
You don't need to cover them, they just can't get wet for the first 24 hrs and you shouldn't wash them for a week[emoji118]

kantonburg
04-22-2023, 06:53 PM
You don't need to cover them, they just can't get wet for the first 24 hrs and you shouldn't wash them for a week[emoji118]

Thanks,

If you coat wheels. What do you typically use?

I'm starting from ground zero.
All the prep stuff, dedicated new MF to toss, coating
For wheels I was going to get a pack of The Rag Company - Pearl (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NQ593K2/?coliid=IIX582C5LQZ5Z&colid=2YQBFX6J3U50C&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1)
Is that overkill for wheels? Or a good choice?

Klasse Act
04-22-2023, 07:23 PM
Thanks,

If you coat wheels. What do you typically use?

I'm starting from ground zero.
All the prep stuff, dedicated new MF to toss, coating
For wheels I was going to get a pack of The Rag Company - Pearl (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NQ593K2/?coliid=IIX582C5LQZ5Z&colid=2YQBFX6J3U50C&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1)
Is that overkill for wheels? Or a good choice?Your choice there is fine!

If your starting from scratch you need to take one off at a time and go to town! Wash, Mech/Chem decon, possibly polish (depending on the wheel material) and then coat them and don't get em' wet for 24 hrs.

kantonburg
04-22-2023, 07:40 PM
Your choice there is fine!

If your starting from scratch you need to take one off at a time and go to town! Wash, Mech/Chem decon, possibly polish (depending on the wheel material) and then coat them and don't get em' wet for 24 hrs.

I'm good polishing paint, but I'll have to research polishing wheels. FYI ours will be the 18" Sport wheels. That is exactly how they look too.
Wheels and Tires - 2023 Honda Civic Sedan | Honda Info Center (https://www.hondainfocenter.com/2023/Civic-Sedan/Feature-Guide/Exterior-Features/Wheels-and-Tires/)

Klasse Act
04-22-2023, 07:43 PM
I'm good polishing paint, but I'll have to research polishing wheels. FYI ours will be the 18" Sport wheels. That is exactly how they look too.
Wheels and Tires - 2023 Honda Civic Sedan | Honda Info Center (https://www.hondainfocenter.com/2023/Civic-Sedan/Feature-Guide/Exterior-Features/Wheels-and-Tires/)Since they're so new you could polish by hand[emoji6]

Game
04-22-2023, 07:55 PM
Don’t think you’ll need to polish or clay. As long as they’re clean and decontaminated you should be fine.

I also think you’d be fine trying the DLux.

kantonburg
04-22-2023, 09:43 PM
Don’t think you’ll need to polish or clay. As long as they’re clean and decontaminated you should be fine.

I also think you’d be fine trying the DLux.

I know DLux is tacky. I've watched a few videos, but they're all indoors and somewhat climate controlled. I'm sure I'd be fine if I have a couple of good weather days and the heavy pollen should be over soon.

The Guz
04-23-2023, 02:58 PM
Any paint coating will work. The heat generated by wheels daily driving is not going to melt a coating. Paint coatings have a high temperature resistance. You have new wheels. Wash, panel wipe and coat.

kantonburg
04-23-2023, 05:23 PM
Any paint coating will work. The heat generated by wheels daily driving is not going to melt a coating. Paint coatings have a high temperature resistance. You have new wheels. Wash, panel wipe and coat.

Thanks Mike,
Been watching your videos all day. Especially glass prep and coating
Since this my first time using a coating I ended up ordering Adams Ceramic Multi-coating (silver). Going on wheels and going to give it a whirl on the glass. Even though the glass is new I figured I'd still polish McKeeys 37 Glass Polish first.

Coatingsarecrack
04-23-2023, 06:49 PM
Thanks Mike,
Been watching your videos all day. Especially glass prep and coating
Since this my first time using a coating I ended up ordering Adams Ceramic Multi-coating (silver). Going on wheels and going to give it a whirl on the glass. Even though the glass is new I figured I'd still polish McKeeys 37 Glass Polish first.

Polishing can’t hurt but may not be needed. I would probably clay then coat. Try the baggie test if your worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kantonburg
04-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Polishing can’t hurt but may not be needed. I would probably clay then coat. Try the baggie test if your worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went ahead and ordered the glass polish. I'm going to try it on our SUV with horrible window water spots. See how it does.