PDA

View Full Version : My new headlamp clearing routine for cloudy lenses

tattooman
04-15-2023, 09:22 PM
Well I started a rejuvination project on a 21 year old Camry, for the most part, garage kept. The headlamp lenses were completely clouded over, but I didn't want to mess with a headlamp clearing kit, done that before. So I just grabbed some Megs 105, Megs 205, Jetseal, and three Megs pads - coarse, med, and soft (red, yellow, black iirc). Step 1) washed the lenses, 2) clay bar the lenses, 3) random orbed the lenses with Megs 105, using some detail spray to keep to wet since that stuff sets up pretty quick, wiped down, 4) new pad with Megs 205, same routine with detail spray to keep it wet, then wiped down. 5) cleaned with 10% ISO (via Mike, he likes 10% ISO or less), so that any sealer would stick better, 6) had some JetSeal laying around, so I used the Megs soft black pad pad to apply the Jetseal. I think Jetseal likes to cure for a while, so I let it set for about 30 mins or so, then gently wiped it off and polished with MF towel. Wow. It's eye popping. My guess is the results were good probably because of the properties of that particular chemistry of plastic lenses that Toyota was using in 2002 when the car was made. I dunno. But darn this routine was so simple and easy, and I couldn't be happier with the result. While doing this I was remembering what Mike said: "use what you have". So that's what I had, and I guess I got lucky because it turned out great. BTW I used my old Porter Cable random orbital, at a fairly fast speed for the 105 and 205, and only slowed it down for the Jetseal wax. Sometimes you just get lucky I guess.

392hemi
04-15-2023, 09:48 PM
Well I started a rejuvination project on a 21 year old Camry, for the most part, garage kept. The headlamp lenses were completely clouded over, but I didn't want to mess with a headlamp clearing kit, done that before. So I just grabbed some Megs 105, Megs 205, Jetseal, and three Megs pads - coarse, med, and soft (red, yellow, black iirc). Step 1) washed the lenses, 2) clay bar the lenses, 3) random orbed the lenses with Megs 105, using some detail spray to keep to wet since that stuff sets up pretty quick, wiped down, 4) new pad with Megs 205, same routine with detail spray to keep it wet, then wiped down. 5) cleaned with 10% ISO (via Mike, he likes 10% ISO or less), so that any sealer would stick better, 6) had some JetSeal laying around, so I used the Megs soft black pad pad to apply the Jetseal. I think Jetseal likes to cure for a while, so I let it set for about 30 mins or so, then gently wiped it off and polished with MF towel. Wow. It's eye popping. My guess is the results were good probably because of the properties of that particular chemistry of plastic lenses that Toyota was using in 2002 when the car was made. I dunno. But darn this routine was so simple and easy, and I couldn't be happier with the result. While doing this I was remembering what Mike said: "use what you have". So that's what I had, and I guess I got lucky because it turned out great. BTW I used my old Porter Cable random orbital, at a fairly fast speed for the 105 and 205, and only slowed it down for the Jetseal wax. Sometimes you just get lucky I guess.

Sounds good! Love to see some photos. I'd definitely add some UV headlight clear. AG used to sell but don't see them anymore. This will allow them to last way longer.

tattooman
04-16-2023, 07:05 PM
UV headlight clear ? I'll search for it. Thanks.

Desertnate
04-17-2023, 07:52 AM
The Griots Garage Severe Headlight Restoration Kit comes with a "permanent" coating which protects the lenses as a final step. So far, for me it has held up longer than anything else I've tried. I highly doubt it will be permanent as they claim, but if I can get a few years out of it, I'll be happy. Might be an option too, though it sounds like you don't need the rest of the peices it contains.

MisterSnoop
04-17-2023, 10:36 AM
The Griots Garage Severe Headlight Restoration Kit comes with a "permanent" coating which protects the lenses as a final step. So far, for me it has held up longer than anything else I've tried. I highly doubt it will be permanent as they claim, but if I can get a few years out of it, I'll be happy. Might be an option too, though it sounds like you don't need the rest of the peices it contains.

They'll back it. If it needs to be reapplied at some point, they would send you another kit. The moderate kit has the same coating without the sanding part.

Odrapnew
04-17-2023, 12:52 PM
Anyone remember this thread?
I did the method outlined in that thread on my Mustang probably 10 years ago and they haven't clouded back up, at least not to the level they were.
I still have the can of SPAR urethane....not sure if it's still any good though.

Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/19021-headlight-restoration-new-uv-sealant-idea.html)

Danube
06-17-2023, 11:42 PM
I'll try this method tomorrow with Megs 105 ..!

SNP209
06-18-2023, 12:06 AM
An old trick that works on most Japanese vehicles' headlights is mother's mag and aluminum polish. Real time saver and something most of us have lying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ89gOReWw8

Danube
06-19-2023, 11:17 PM
An old trick that works on most Japanese vehicles' headlights is mother's mag and aluminum polish. Real time saver and something most of us have lying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ89gOReWw8

Did anyone try this, as it seems pretty aggressive for the plastic lenses ?!?

:wowwow:

SNP209
06-20-2023, 12:09 AM
Did anyone try this, as it seems pretty aggressive for the plastic lenses ?!?

:wowwow:

Yes sir, I have tried it on a number of vehicles. Works best on most oem japanese headlights for some reason, as I mentioned earlier. Most recently used that trick on my cousin's 07 infiniti g37 and it blew his mind lol. As always follow up with your LSP of choice.

I tried it on my old cadillac cts and it didn't even make a dent in the oxidation, had to break out the sand paper for that one.

Danube
06-20-2023, 02:21 AM
Yes sir, I have tried it on a number of vehicles. Works best on most oem japanese headlights for some reason, as I mentioned earlier. Most recently used that trick on my cousin's 07 infiniti g37 and it blew his mind lol. As always follow up with your LSP of choice.

I tried it on my old cadillac cts and it didn't even make a dent in the oxidation, had to break out the sand paper for that one.

Thanks, looks like different plastic materials react differently.

I wish we still have the good, old glass headlights.

:xyxthumbs: