PDA

View Full Version : As a DIYer how do you polish small areas?

Pages : [1] 2

MidnightNarwhal
04-05-2023, 09:04 PM
I'm looking at getting a Griot G9 with a 5 inch plate this summer as I want to prep my paint and then install a coating.

I assume most DIYers don't get a smaller 3 inch machine to for A pillars or like door pockets. How do you polish those?

opie
04-05-2023, 09:27 PM
If thats the only machine you have....id say A pillers-run the 5 inch on it if possible. But the pad might stall since its free spinning da. If not then, i would say do the same as i would door pockets- do by hand.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

98CayenneTA
04-05-2023, 10:02 PM
Get a da that you can swap out the backing plate for a 3in.

MidnightNarwhal
04-05-2023, 10:54 PM
Get a da that you can swap out the backing plate for a 3in.

Ahhhhh I had no idea you could swap a 3 inch plate on a normal sized SA. Well that solves that thanks!

Coatingsarecrack
04-06-2023, 12:52 AM
I'm looking at getting a Griot G9 with a 5 inch plate this summer as I want to prep my paint and then install a coating.

I assume most DIYers don't get a smaller 3 inch machine to for A pillars or like door pockets. How do you polish those?

Most on here do. You can get an Adam’s swirl killer for around $115 dollars on sale. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coatingsarecrack
04-06-2023, 12:53 AM
Ahhhhh I had no idea you could swap a 3 inch plate on a normal sized SA. Well that solves that thanks!

You can’t on a G9

98CayenneTA
04-06-2023, 04:36 AM

Like said above.... you can't on some but I have a Harbor Freight da that I have a 3in. 5in. and 6in. backing plate for.

I also have other tools like the Rupes Nano, Flex Forced rotation, Flex cordless rotary, 21mm da ect....

MidnightNarwhal
04-06-2023, 10:48 AM
If thats the only machine you have....id say A pillers-run the 5 inch on it if possible. But the pad might stall since its free spinning da. If not then, i would say do the same as i would door pockets- do by hand.

Yeah you're right, my A pillar seem to be large enough to do a quick pass. For other areas though, any particular polish/compound that works well by hand? Or any should do? I tried in the past to polish things by hand on my previous car and my results were lacking but maybe because the paint was already mostly in good condition and by hand just doesn't remove what was left...

MidnightNarwhal
04-06-2023, 10:52 AM
Most on here do. You can get an Adam’s swirl killer for around $115 dollars on sale. Well worth it.

Like said above.... you can't on some but I have a Harbor Freight da that I have a 3in. 5in. and 6in. backing plate for.

I also have other tools like the Rupes Nano, Flex Forced rotation, Flex cordless rotary, 21mm da ect....

Ah shoot ok thanks for the confirmation. Yeah could always get another machine it's just you know I'm already spending this much I rather not exceed the budget any more haha. I'm not a pro either, so you know I cannot make money back and pay the tools back. It's not that I'm spending a limited amount of money either it's just... I don't like spending money on something I'll only use maybe once you know :D

G9 just seems like everyone raves about it and has great reviews especially for a a beginner in terms of polishing. I know the theory but don't have a whole lot experience.

opie
04-06-2023, 11:01 AM
Yeah you're right, my A pillar seem to be large enough to do a quick pass. For other areas though, any particular polish/compound that works well by hand? Or any should do? I tried in the past to polish things by hand on my previous car and my results were lacking but maybe because the paint was already mostly in good condition and by hand just doesn't remove what was left...Its always more difficult to do by hand. Id just use what you have.

Remember to not stress chasing perfection of every scratch or defect.

Unless its a show vehicle or something lol

Also dont get hung up on needing every tool or the latest and greatest if your only doing a vehicle or two a year

craigdt
04-06-2023, 11:31 AM
Cordless XFE + XCE + PXE = chef's kiss.

Too bad all the machines in the world can't fix bad technique and no time :D

Coatingsarecrack
04-06-2023, 01:15 PM
Ah shoot ok thanks for the confirmation. Yeah could always get another machine it's just you know I'm already spending this much I rather not exceed the budget any more haha. I'm not a pro either, so you know I cannot make money back and pay the tools back. It's not that I'm spending a limited amount of money either it's just... I don't like spending money on something I'll only use maybe once you know :D

G9 just seems like everyone raves about it and has great reviews especially for a a beginner in terms of polishing. I know the theory but don't have a whole lot experience.

I cut out a weekly expenditure to pay for my current LSP’s. One less dine out and no coffees in a week paid for them in about 3-4 weeks. Figure out if a 3” polisher is worth that for you. You also can find generics for $60-80.

This is a hobby for most here so a lot tend to overbuy. If you don’t feel the need for a 3” then I would look at one 5” DA that can take a 3” backing plate as mentioned

Brrr
04-06-2023, 01:52 PM

What’s the budget you’re working with, if you don’t mind me asking? You’re looking at the G9 (169.99) then you’ll need the 5” backing plate (19.99) some kind of pads, I use LC Flats on mine. AGO has the 12 packs for 79.99.. you’ll need at least 12 orange pads to cut buff, then 6 to polish. I’d recommend buying 2 12 packs. Getting 12 light cutting, 3 heavy cut, 6 polishing and 3 finishing pads, that’d be 159.98 for those. That’s about $350 plus taxes to get you started.

THEN you gotta buy the compound, polish and LSP. But before that you gotta have your soap, clay bar/clay mitt, and panel wipe.

Now youre looking at $450 range. So, if you’re only going to do this once, why not pay someone to do it for you and spend the left over money to maintain it with toppers?

I started the response with a genuine hope to help you, now I’m wondering why the heck am I doing it myself lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

VISITOR
04-06-2023, 02:47 PM
here's another option if you have a PC/GG6 (or similar DA), GG has a 1" DA backing plate extension (designed for G8) that is similar to what this gentleman is using in this video...

Griot's Garage G8 1 Inch Extension Backing Plate (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-g8-1-inch-extension-backing-plate.html)
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ndtdat03b2/images/stencil/640w/products/8856/15976/griots-garage-g8-1-in-extension-backing-plate__84659.1663861465.jpg?c=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tuJt_qqgJA

MidnightNarwhal
04-06-2023, 05:43 PM
What’s the budget you’re working with, if you don’t mind me asking? You’re looking at the G9 (169.99) then you’ll need the 5” backing plate (19.99) some kind of pads, I use LC Flats on mine. AGO has the 12 packs for 79.99.. you’ll need at least 12 orange pads to cut buff, then 6 to polish. I’d recommend buying 2 12 packs. Getting 12 light cutting, 3 heavy cut, 6 polishing and 3 finishing pads, that’d be 159.98 for those. That’s about $350 plus taxes to get you started.

THEN you gotta buy the compound, polish and LSP. But before that you gotta have your soap, clay bar/clay mitt, and panel wipe.

Now youre looking at $450 range. So, if you’re only going to do this once, why not pay someone to do it for you and spend the left over money to maintain it with toppers?

I started the response with a genuine hope to help you, now I’m wondering why the heck am I doing it myself lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

My budget is tough to say, it's the cheapest possible for the best bang for buck. My goal is to have a ~ 85% paint condition and coat it with CarPro CKUK 3.0. I ended up concluding the griot G9 was the choice so I didn't really want to spend a whole lot more on polishing equipment than ~ 250$. So it's why to me just buying a whole second smaller polisher for me just doesn't feel worth it, it's more about knowing I purchased something and only used it once or twice VS something being outright expensive. Like a normal sized polisher I have no choice and that is what you use for most of the car, but with the 3 inch polisher I can probably get by without buying it, that is the way I see my situation so to say. For pads, I planned to follow the DIYdetail method and use their polish and pads (they have a foam and microfiber for more cut), they say you can just use 1 pad and have it damp and clean it time to time. It's very low dusting polish. For the other supplies, I already have them all really. I've been detailing for few years now it's just the polishing and coating I haven't really dipped my toes a whole lot in. I had done a polish on my last car with a no name polisher from Amazon but this time around really wanted to get a proper name brand DA. I sold that one ~ 2 years ago.

But yeah to answer your question, with your 450$ price range IMO, it's still worth it because I will pay less money at the end of the day VS having it professionally done and can do it again if need be (new cars). I'm also a huge DIYer you know and personally don't like when others work on my car :D . I do almost everything on it, I became my own mechanic ha. I appreciate your input!