PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switch to the ONE-bucket method?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JPW
04-02-2023, 01:02 PM
I've been using the two-bucket method for washing cars for many years. However, I'm starting to notice on YouTube that many detailers have moved to the one-bucket method whereby they no longer use a wash mitt and instead dump like 20 microfiber towels in the wash bucket. They use 1 microfiber towel per section of the vehicle and then put the towel aside. They rinse and move to the next section and grab a fresh microfiber towel. Rinse and repeat.

I understand the logic in it. Basically, your chance for scratches is reduced because you are using a fresh microfiber towel every time whereas with the two-bucket method you are trying to clean out the mitt each time. Yes, there are some initial front-end costs you'll need to pay for all the towels, but doesn't seem too significant.

So, my question isn't around which one does a better job (seems like the one-bucket would be better), but in efficiency and time spent. At first I thought the one-bucket method would be much faster and it seems like when you are actually washing the car it would be, but what about the back-end time once you are done? I don't wash my good mitts in a washing machine. I rinse them thoroughly once I'm done and hang it to dry. Done. I'm wondering about what people are doing with all these microfiber towels once they are done washing the vehicle. Are they really rinsing each one out to ensure they don't have any dirt in them? Seems like a lot of time. OR are they throwing them all in the washing machine and letting it do the work. Still, more time, but maybe less than the overall time used with the two-bucket method?

Just seeking out others who might have tried the one-bucket method and their opinion. Thanks.

craigdt
04-02-2023, 01:13 PM
I use the one bucket method when I foam cannon and when I rinseless wash.

Gasp.

Works for me.
I find something I like and works for me and don't worry about some specific youtuber's process.
What works for one person may not be for another person.

Rsurfer
04-02-2023, 01:23 PM
One bucket with 5-6 noodle type wash mitts. Wash mitts are easier to control and doesn't bunch up like mf towels.

Spray inside the mitts and rinse the outside which already has soap and hang out to dry. I guess maybe throwing them in a washer might do a better job of cleaning, but I've never noticed any dirt or debris using the hose method of cleaning.

Bill D
04-02-2023, 01:32 PM
I don’t use any buckets at all. Just multiple mitts. That is, when my car is even that dirty to need it.

Eric7810
04-02-2023, 03:04 PM
I use the five bucket method.

One with soap, four with only water. Each water bucket has three grit guards.

Every time I go to reload my brush with soap I first dip it five times in each water bucket, twenty total water dips, then I dip it in the soap.

I’m just kidding.

I use one bucket, one boars hair brush, and lots of soap. No grit guard.

*GASP*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric7810
04-02-2023, 03:10 PM
Imma just leave this here

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230402/781b9f68babf2b67e6172150a7080bf9.jpg

Rsurfer
04-02-2023, 03:11 PM

Every time I go to reload my brush with soap I first dip it five times in each water bucket, twenty total water dips, then I dip it in the soap.

I’m just kidding.

*GASP*

Good one there Eric, you had me going for awhile.:wowwow:

PaulMys
04-02-2023, 03:54 PM

I’m just kidding.

*GASP*

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

glen e
04-02-2023, 05:05 PM
The one bucket method is the Gary Dean rinseless wash method… Find it on YouTube…. I’ve been doing it for 12 years, never scratched a car yet.

and 20 microfibers is ridiculous, I can do my car with five.

VISITOR
04-02-2023, 05:48 PM
when using the foam gun, i only use one bucket to rinse with an occasional blast of water to the mitt depending on how dirty it gets...

briarpatch
04-02-2023, 07:29 PM
Switched to the one-bucket/multiple wash mitt method years ago. I do a lot of laundry, but seems to be working so far.

Optimus Grime
04-02-2023, 07:32 PM
I use one bucket with 4 or 5 Autofiber Double Flip mitts. It’s one less bucket I need to worry about when moving around the car.

Jayfro
04-02-2023, 08:55 PM
One bucket, 12 microfiber towels, one per panel. If the car is REAL dirty, I’ll throw in a couple of mits for the panels that’s are real dirty. Griots PFM towel for the dry.

JF

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

PA DETAILER
04-03-2023, 08:48 AM
I use a foam gun so just one bucket. The Griots 6 gallon one. Love that bucket.

Rinse.
Foam truck.
Wash truck with mitt, soap and bucket.
Rinse.
Flood rinse.

Lance Mark
04-03-2023, 10:33 AM
depends on what I'm doing, but i always do two things...or don't do two things, that is

I don't use a MF for very long, and a used MF never goes back into a wash or rinse bucket

i go through a lot of MFs but to me once a MF touches a vehicle, it's contaminated

my go to regular wash on my bike is the 'no bucket' method :) ECH2O as a waterless, but like I said, I use many much MFs...pick a section, spray it down, let the wash dwell a bit, no rubbing or scrubbing, MF's get folded and each of the 8 sides gets one pass on the surface of a clear coat