PDA

View Full Version : Hood rock chips have rust. How to deal with this?

Modest
04-02-2023, 11:03 AM
So my daily is a 2021 Honda Civic I bought in October and the hood has a rock chip or two. Unfortunately they also have rust in the exposed metal. How do you go about treating or filling this in without messing with the surrounding paintwork? My overall goal is just to stop the rust, not a complete repair unless that is the only option.

IMG20230319141855 hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB (https://ibb.co/nrNQgSb)

2black1s
04-02-2023, 01:06 PM
Use a toothbrush and a metal conditioner to remove the rust from the chip without damaging the surrounding paint. Then touch up the paint as you see fit. This works extremely well if you are only dealing with a light surface rust. If the rust is more significant, you might need to do a little scraping (like with the edge of a razor or something similar) followed by the metal conditioner.

You can find the metal conditioner at any automotive paint supplier. An example is DuPont (Axalta) 5717S.

Another option is a rust converter that can be found at almost any auto parts store.

Rsurfer
04-02-2023, 03:07 PM
I agree with 2black1s, but would add light sanding if your have ridges. I like to use a hole puncher glued to a pencil eraser.

Rather than using a sanding block, you can use precision sanding with the pencil. When you get all the rust out, use IPA or mineral sprits to clean out the chip and start applying thin coats of paint..this may take several days in-between coats.

After the build up of paint in the chip you can start precision sanding (1k-3k).

Bdubbs
04-02-2023, 03:50 PM
Will iron x remove surface rust that's inside a rock chip?

I too have some rock chips with rust inside of them.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
04-02-2023, 06:13 PM
Will iron x remove surface rust that's inside a rock chip?

I too have some rock chips with rust inside of them.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

It should, as rust is the oxidation of steel.

MisterSnoop
04-02-2023, 07:39 PM
My method is Iron-X paste on the rock chip. I'll do a few rounds of letting it sit, agitation with a sponge, rinse. Then I follow up with a fiberglass scratch pen. Clean any dust left from that and then apply touchup paint.