PDA

View Full Version : Griots wax left water swirls on paint

01AUDI
04-01-2023, 09:50 AM
I recently purchased Griots 3-1 Ceramic Spray Wax. I am now left with water swirl marks all over the paint. It is silver so it sticks out really strong. I tried washing twice and they are still there !

how do I get rid of them? I will try to get a picture today, but it looks like dried water marks. As if I didn’t dry the vehicle off after a wash.

BlackCarBlues
04-01-2023, 10:31 AM
Try spraying a microfiber towel with more of the 3-1. Then wipe the swirls away. The solvents used in the spray will pull up the high spots of the wax. More than likely you used way too much to begin with. You only need 1 to 2 sprays per panel (maybe 3 sprays for a large panel like your hood). A little goes a long way with this product.

I also always recommend the two towel method. You first spray the panel then use one microfiber towel to spread the product quickly and evenly. Then the second towel comes in and buffs the panel so it’s streak free.

I’ll make one other point, that your microfiber towels should never be washed with regular detergent and should never be dried with dryer sheets/fabric softener. The dyes, additives, and softeners will spread all over your car’s paint and leave streaks all over.

01AUDI
04-01-2023, 11:52 AM
I appreciate that. I am sure I used too much as it was my first time using it. I have always used two towels and never use detergents. I use something I got online here for cleaning, some foam pad / microfiber cleaner. I’ve used it for a long time so I’m not saying it’s not me. But it shouldn’t be anything with the towels.

I did a quick wash with my regular Pink soap, dried as normal and reapplied the 3-1 (2 towel method) and it’s still showing. Should I clay bar it? Light polish? It’s not everywhere but when you see it, you see it !

Eldorado2k
04-01-2023, 06:00 PM
You didn’t try to use it as a “detail spray” did you? If so, that would explain why you instilled the swirls.

01AUDI
04-01-2023, 06:33 PM
What do you mean by that?

Eldorado2k
04-01-2023, 06:57 PM
What do you mean by that?

Alot of people nowadays tend to describe spray sealants/spray waxes as “detailers” aka quick detailing sprays and therefore use them as quick detailing sprays i.e. use them to wipe dust off their paint, which in turn is a mistake that will lead to instilling swirls.

Coatingsarecrack
04-02-2023, 02:46 AM
I appreciate that. I am sure I used too much as it was my first time using it. I have always used two towels and never use detergents. I use something I got online here for cleaning, some foam pad / microfiber cleaner. I’ve used it for a long time so I’m not saying it’s not me. But it shouldn’t be anything with the towels.

I did a quick wash with my regular Pink soap, dried as normal and reapplied the 3-1 (2 towel method) and it’s still showing. Should I clay bar it? Light polish? It’s not everywhere but when you see it, you see it !

Clay probably won’t do it it well. I’d do a light polish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
04-02-2023, 10:14 AM
I’m guessing that’s a yes?

oneheadlite
04-02-2023, 01:28 PM
Alot of people nowadays tend to describe spray sealants/spray waxes as “detailers” aka quick detailing sprays and therefore use them as quick detailing sprays i.e. use them to wipe dust off their paint, which in turn is a mistake that will lead to instilling swirls.

I think they’re running into high spots from the ceramic portion of the 3-1 vs swirls instilled into the paint from dirt/dust/debris.

As others have mentioned, if a reapplication doesn’t reactivate the wax enough to buff off the high spots, you’re probably stuck doing a light polish to get back to square one.

01AUDI
04-02-2023, 06:23 PM
No, I did not use this as a detailer. My experience is after a complete two bucket wash, and complete towel dry.

Eldorado2k
04-02-2023, 06:56 PM
Post some pictures?