PDA

View Full Version : How many polishing pads per car?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Bdubbs
03-21-2023, 04:20 PM
I'm curious, how many pads are you guys using per car?

I'm using lake country orange cutting pads, white polishing pads, and black pads for the final step for laying down wax sealant.

How do you know when it's time to change them out? Become too soiled?

Getting ready to start the first stage with the orange cutting pads, but I may need to order more.

Side note: Found some tar spots, which clay didn't remove. So I'll be using Carpro Tar X on those areas. I also use Carpro eraser after each section I polish to remove residue from polishing.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230321/80b4af0258ca83df12cf6f36eb9341ad.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230321/315490583701191705f8b0a86258b0ae.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

PaulMys
03-21-2023, 04:26 PM
5 minimum for your Mustang.

You will see the pads getting loaded up with product, which allows them to heat up quicker. (Bad for the pads).

And the "loaded up" pads will stop cutting effectively.

You can always clean them on the fly with a terry towel and/or a pad cleaning brush, but that is nowhere near as good as switching to a fresh pad.

Also, the harder you work your pads, the shorter their life span.

Bdubbs
03-21-2023, 04:53 PM

You will see the pads getting loaded up with product, which allows them to heat up quicker. (Bad for the pads).

You can always clean them on the fly with a terry towel and/or a pad cleaning brush, but that is nowhere near as good as switching to a fresh pad.

Also, the harder you work your pads, the shorter their life span.Great information thank you. I forgot to mention, I'll be using some smaller 3" pads for tighter areas.

I still consider myself a novice when it comes to this. The more I do it and get comfortable with it, I'll get a better idea.

I really like doing it, so hopefully I can keep getting better.

noorth
03-21-2023, 05:10 PM
Nice car.

This is a question i've pondered over many times lol. Honestly, you can do it with 1 pad if you are not in a hurry. It doesn't take long to hand wash and spin dry a pad.

For your car i would shoot for 1 clean pad for about the size of your car bonnet. But i'm no pro.

In a perfect world i would either want the lake country pad washer 4000 or about 8 pads for 1 step correction.

PaulMys
03-21-2023, 05:28 PM
Great information thank you. I forgot to mention, I'll be using some smaller 3" pads for tighter areas.

I still consider myself a novice when it comes to this. The more I do it and get comfortable with it, I'll get a better idea.

I really like doing it, so hopefully I can keep getting better.

Yes, you absolutely will.

Just like anything else, you'll get better with practice.

Bdubbs
03-21-2023, 05:34 PM
Nice car.

This is a question i've pondered over many times lol. Honestly, you can do it with 1 pad if you are not in a hurry. It doesn't take long to hand wash and spin dry a pad.

For your car i would shoot for 1 clean pad for about the size of your car bonnet. But i'm no pro.

In a perfect world i would either want the lake country pad washer 4000 or about 8 pads for 1 step correction.I never knew that existed, might be on my list of things to buy.

PaulMys
03-21-2023, 05:55 PM
I never knew that existed, might be on my list of things to buy.

Quite honestly, and this is just my opinion......

For the price of one of those pad washers, I would just use that money to stock up on pads. :)

Bdubbs
03-21-2023, 06:14 PM
Quite honestly, and this is just my opinion......

For the price of one of those pad washers, I would just use that money to stock up on pads. :)True.

I'll be ordering more pads and cleaner tonight. I need to see what I actually have.

PaulMys
03-21-2023, 06:27 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230321/5621f5fbc6ec8c94b447e3f857d5360b.jpg

If you use multiple pads, you simply toss the used ones in a bucket of cleaning solution as you go, and when you’re done, they look like this.

Easy cleaning. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgage
03-21-2023, 07:35 PM
It also depends on the type of pads. My favorite pads now are the Rupes blue (coarse) and yellow (fine/med) wool and you can blow them out effectively with an air nozzle connected to an air compressor. With that I might need only a couple to do an entire car. The heavy lifting is done with my wool pads so my final passes with with Rupes yellow or white foams pads are pretty quick so I don’t use as many foam pads.

But with foam pads for everything, usually takes 5-8 depending on how much you’re polishing and the size of the car.

Eric7810
03-21-2023, 08:48 PM

Also, the harder you work your pads, the shorter their life span.

This

Paul A.
03-21-2023, 08:54 PM
I would use 6 to 8 pads on that 'Stang.

Dr Oldz
03-21-2023, 11:00 PM
I would use 13.

2 hood
2 roof
1 trunk
1 per each fender and door =6
1 front end
1 rear

Plus any smaller pads you may need.

Coatingsarecrack
03-22-2023, 01:39 AM
When I did my 16 vert GT I used (6) 5” and (2) 3”.

I would add 1 more for your roof. I used a pad brush after each section. I had 10 totals for just in cases (like dropped pads). Have a couple extra.

If you have compressed air blow them out from middle to end. Don’t get to close with air. Also watch out if your pads are closed cell foam as I saw on a TRC video it can break them down.

The pad cleaning brush worked well for me

Bdubbs
03-22-2023, 02:50 AM
I would use 13.

2 hood
2 roof
1 trunk
1 per each fender and door =6
1 front end
1 rear

Plus any smaller pads you may need.
When I did my 16 vert GT I used (6) 5” and (2) 3”.

I would add 1 more for your roof. I used a pad brush after each section. I had 10 totals for just in cases (like dropped pads). Have a couple extra.

If you have compressed air blow them out from middle to end. Don’t get to close with air. Also watch out if your pads are closed cell foam as I saw on a TRC video it can break them down.

The pad cleaning brush worked well for me

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSorry guys,

Are you using this many pads total? Orange, white and black? Or for each?