PDA

View Full Version : Failing clear

MikeII
03-12-2023, 03:30 PM
I usually don’t deal with any type of clear coat failure, but my father’s best friend would like a presale detail done on his Chevy SSR, and it has a small amount of clear failing. I would like to try and hide it so he can take it to a local Carmax to sell it, but I have never attempted this before. Is there a temporary fix that could be done without him having to have the panel repaired properly? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric7810
03-13-2023, 04:28 AM
There’s not much you can do besides taking a cleaner wax or AIO product and just try working some moisture into that area to deepen the color of that failed clear.

I did that last year for a customer on a vintage 300Z and he was satisfied. Removing the rear bumper cover and having it repainted would’ve been about $1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul A.
03-13-2023, 08:38 AM
I have watched a few YT vids of restoring damaged clear and, honestly, they look doable. However, I'm not sure I'd attempt it on a friends vehicle.

It involves sanding, blending then cut and polish. I tried it on a practice panel and it came out nice but may take some practice.